Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Touchscreen computers  (Read 2151 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Touchscreen computers
« on: August 23, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »
I found you can get a netbook now (10 inch, x86, win7) for AU$349 with touchscreen.
  It's a cool feature, but I think it would be clumsy. I think I would accidentally bump the screen.
  A low footprint desktop with touchscreen I think would be great and plan to get one in future.

It's a nice hobby and I am continually impressed when things go right.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline MicroStrand

• Show only replies by MicroStrand
Re: Touchscreen computers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:51:11 PM »
It depends on what you like to do with it. But it also reminds me of the 19th Century, when the schoolchildren had to lug around even their own small blackboard with.

Imagine a microcontroller that doesn’t tell you what to do, but asks “What do you want from me?” - XMOS

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »
We had a Windows 7 HP laptop that had touchscreen. I doubt we ever used it, I know I didn't. I know windows 8 is trying to force you into the whole touch approach but to be honest It's annoying to keep reaching over to fondle the screen just to close a program.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 05:10:37 PM »
They have their place - interactive kiosks to register at the doctor's office, or to order food at a gas station, etc., but for day-to-day computing they're more of a fancy show-off gimick.  Come to think of it, those two examples I gave are probably pretty bad if you're a germaphobe, also.  Heh.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline MicroStrand

• Show only replies by MicroStrand
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 09:56:54 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;745985
Come to think of it, those two examples I gave are probably pretty bad if you're a germaphobe, also.  Heh.  ;)
On my desk at least I can do without it. I've had enough already, if I have to clean once a week my screen because I don't even have to remove my fingerprints still daily. Moreover, it would be completely inappropriate even for anthropotechnical reasons.
Imagine a microcontroller that doesn’t tell you what to do, but asks “What do you want from me?” - XMOS

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 10:25:47 AM »
Touchscreen has its place :) my iPad and iPhone would suck without one... But just as the mouse has never completely replaced the keyboard, so the touchscreen will never replace the mouse. But I wouldn't complain if my next computer had one (I might not use it much though ;) ).

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 01:30:31 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;746044
Touchscreen has its place :) my iPad and iPhone would suck without one...

Boo! They'd suck regardless :lol:

Seriously though, it's an interface mechanism that works extremely well on mobile/tablet. However, I do find the recent trend towards making desktop interfaces more like tablets irritating in the extreme.
int p; // A

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »
I have one of the Lenovo Yoga convertible laptops. I don't use the touch screen all the time, it still has a trackpad so you don't have to reach up to touch the screen to close apps. Alt+f4 also still works fine.

But I have been using it more and more, and always found working in IT on peoples machines, laptops always come in with many fingerprints on the screen anyway. If people are touching it, might as well make those touches able to do something. More input methods rarely is a bad thing since it gives people choices, and developers more flexibility in how they make their apps work.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
I touch screen now on machines that don't. You get used to it, and miss it in some circumstance. Especially when you start to get older and the eyes start to dim. Zoom click on Amiga Org.

Kids expect it now.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 03:29:08 PM »
Can't stand them! My desk is fairly deep and I always have all kinds of papers between my keyboard & monitor so it would be beyond clumsy having to reach over to touch the screen constantly.
Keyboard & mouse combo for me for 'real' work thank you very much.

Now for playing games with the kids of course a touchscreen tablet is great.
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 08:08:46 PM »
Won't replace a trackpad, but are sometimes nice, a big touch screen is really nice with working with spacial information, maps, pictures, etc.  Touch screen and trackpad aren't either or devices, each have their place and use.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.