Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Parallella: The $99 Linux supercomputer  (Read 2425 times)

Description:

Offline cunnpole

• Show all replies
Re: Parallella: The $99 Linux supercomputer
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:07 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;745636
Congratulations on completely missing the point of the Raspberry Pi, ZDNet!

Sheez.

I love how they still spin the 45Ghz argument. By those standards my old graphics card does 500Ghz on 300 Cuda cores. It's like they think parallel processing is a new thing. It maybe has found a niche in ultra low power parallel computing, but the piss poor journalism goes for the hype instead.

Offline cunnpole

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:18:39 AM »
Quote from: MicroStrand;745644
They say it is intended for research and education at universities. But anyway, the idea to put 16 cores in a SoC is nothing special, and without an operating system plus software, specifically designed for this type of architecture, meaningless.

Yep, even for that market there are far too many existing motherboards with 16+ onboard Cuda or openCL cores, never mind those of us with dedicated cards. I'd much rather pick up the new 16 core pure arm chips if SoC floats your boat

Offline cunnpole

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 04:29:33 PM »
Quote from: agami;745779
You take one statement made in a summary line and pass judgement on the writer, the actual article, and ZDnet as a whole

I think you'll find there were several factual inaccuracies in that short story and perhaps stupidly I expect people in his position to put a bit of effort into understanding what they are talking about. That wasn't flair, it was incompetence. Have a look at his previous stories for more of the same.