Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: os4 theme for "commodore os?" hahahaha.  (Read 16492 times)

Description:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show all replies
Re: os4 theme for "commodore os?" hahahaha.
« on: December 16, 2012, 08:12:07 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;719253
Apparently, they have hired new developers who will take commodore os into the future...

By spending countless development minutes skinning it to look more like amiga OS.

Who knows this grand new vision of commodoreOS's future might also include new wallpapers, or other worthless eye candy that takes minutes and minutes to make.

Silly commodoreUSA, Leave mint linux alone.

They "forked", if you can even call it that, their distro into two seperate distro's. Leo is working on the new Vision, the one you download, and then this new guy is working on Fusion, the one they intend to dump on their system.

Recently Leo asked their forums to start making tutorials for him and asked for help skinning the Mate desktop. My question would be why someone who was apparently hired for their technical "expertise" suddenly needs all this help skinning it. The tutorials I kind of can understand because they do take time to write. However the rest he should be able to do if he is the tech expert. Given the fact that Leo has had very little involvement with the community in terms of help I also do wonder how much involvement he has in the company at all.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:22:10 AM by CritAnime »

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »
http://forums.commodore.net/showthread.php?1288-error-codemight -needed-please&p=2476&viewfull=1#post2476

Oooo any day now. Are you excited kiddies!  Lol. Oh my it might be worth a download for a laugh.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »
Actually do a little research. The title page clearly says it's for Commodore OS. Along with the name of the guy publishing it. Although to be fair I don't get the osx thing.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Environment/Icons/Amiga-OSX-85248.shtml

The cusa threads do gain heat. But I have seen far worse in those ridiculous red vs blue threads. So wind your neck in. No one is forcing you to go on these threads. It's in its correct sub forum now so chill out.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:12:46 PM by CritAnime »

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 09:02:25 PM »
Just so I don't get accused of idle trolling I have used cos. I know the flaws and I know how bloated it is. The theme is hurtful to the eyes and I ended up stripping most of the themes stuff because it was just pointless. It was also a bitch to get working because of numerous bugs and the fact the kernel was way outdated.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »
Actually I found it interesting that someone made an icon pack that is actually better than the icons that came in the "base" system.

There can also be discussions with banter thrown in. It's when that banter becomes arguing and butthurt that it's probably time to pull the plug.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 09:56:42 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;719401
I don't understand all the technical problems they have had since all they are doing is skinning linux mint with their own wallpapers and adding too many pre-installed apps.

I never did a respin of linux mint but I have done one of vector linux (slackware based) puppy linux, and ubuntu. You just install whatever software you want, change theme, icons, and wallpaper and point and click to remaster...

I don't see that as a tremendous technical challenge, especially when you are targeting such a limited hardware pool.

The issues seem to be coming from the fact he is using scripts and drivers that don't come as standard with the installation. That and he is using an outdated base distro meaning all the new and "powerful" hardware they use won't have any support. Most can be a simple fix but it's all a pain in the arse to do.

The version 2 of COS he seems to be using a newer version of Mint and I would hope that he sticks to just skinning it. Because some of the bugs and glitches are just silly.

Quote from: commodorejohn;719411
At this point I really wouldn't put any theoretical limit on their laziness/shamelessness. I just have to wonder how they ever concluded that labelling Linux as "OSX" would help to sell it when the underlying product hasn't actually changed.

I don't think the guy who did this icon pack has anything to do with CUSA. But it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up in the upcoming release.

edit==

Ok here is a really odd theory about the name. OS 4 sometimes gets referred to as OS 4.x so has the guy just missed the 4. and instead put OSX?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:59:26 AM by CritAnime »