Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: JiffyDOS chip arrived <sigh> no instructions  (Read 6750 times)

Description:

Offline mr_a500

• Show all replies
Re: JiffyDOS chip arrived <sigh> no instructions
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:24:39 PM »
Quote from: save2600;525015
And lastly, gotta tell you... since deciding to get back into the older systems, a year ago with the Atari 8-bit... nearly game for game; the graphics, sounds, text and overall "feel" of the Commodore experience BLOWS away the A8. There's a huge argument over on Atariage where some hardcore Atari people are getting into the nuts and bolts of the hardware - what it's capable of, etc. Totally missing the point. It doesn't matter what something (or somebody for that matter) is capable of - if it was never implemented, it doesn't mean a hill of beans! Every single arcade conversion I've seen/played yet between the two, the C64 wins hands down.

Really? I discovered the exact opposite. Nearly every single game I used to like back then looks and sounds better on the Atari. I think there are only 2 or 3 C64 games that are worse or unavailable on Atari.

I think this is because most of the 8-bit games I liked were made in 82-84. Most of the popular C64 games were made after 1985 and by that time I was losing interest in 8-bit. After that, I moved to Amiga - which gave me that old Atari feeling of amazement that the C64 never did.

Offline mr_a500

• Show all replies
Re: JiffyDOS chip arrived <sigh> no instructions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »
Quote from: save2600;525087
R U fricking kidding me? Do you require screen shots and/or glasses?

I think you're the one who needs glasses. I said "Nearly every single game I used to like"... "I" as in "me". I don't give a rat's ass what you used to like. (...or whether it was an arcade conversion)

Now let's compare the games "I used to like" (...again, "I" as in "me"):

Blue Max - Atari version totally blows away C64 version
Montezuma's Revenge - better colours, nice fade effect in smoke, better movement
Ballblazer - again, better colours, better movement
Rescue on Fractalus - way better music
Centipede (5200) - no contest

I also prefer Boulderdash (1) on the Atari, but both versions are pretty similar (Atari has ugly first level though). There are others, but I'm starting to get bored. I'm sure anyone reading this is also getting bored.

Really quick here and from what I've played, ALL of these are leagues ahead of the A8 conversions:

Tapper
Joust
Moon Patrol
Star League Baseball
Gorf
Wizard of Wor
Space Invaders
Donkey Kong - r u fucking kidding? a comparison?!? lol
Juno First
Gyruss
Popeye
Q*Bert - another obvious one, r u blind?
Robotron
Robotron? Are you crazy? The Atari version has way better sound (but gameplay is equally crap). I agree that Moon Patrol and Q*bert are better on C64. I hate all those other games, so I don't care which system they're best on.

The only C64 games I care about ...mainly for nostalgia reasons (which don't exist or suck on Atari):
Spy Hunter
Battle Through Time
Time Pilot (a.k.a. Space Pilot)
Impossible Mission

...and not a game, but totally awesome: Swinth/Synth Sample

I don't mean to be a smart ass
Well, you're doing a pretty good job anyway. ;)