Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My first Mac! (A classic).  (Read 10020 times)

Description:

Offline beller

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show all replies
Re: My first Mac! (A classic).
« on: September 11, 2009, 09:12:13 PM »
Quote from: tokyoracer;522761
Threw out better ones, bargen bacement???... I'm not fussed really, it's a first one for me and in good condition plus there's not often on eBay at resonable money. I think it might be a 60Mhz OS7 one but maybe it can be upgraded? Any light on that subject?

I found the following on lowendmac.com  I think you should be able to upgrade to OS 9...

Overview

The 6100/60 was the entry-level Power Mac
when Apple introduced the line in March 1994. Built into the Quadra 610 case, the 6100 contains a PDS which can be converted to a NuBus slot with an adapter. To save money, the 6100 uses RAM for video (up to 615 KB, depending on resolution and bit-depth), not separate VRAM. Thus, one way to improve performance is to add a video card, either Apple AV card or a third-party one. (This also makes it possible to run two monitors.) Another is to add a 1 MB level 2 cache, as noted on our benchmark page. More details at PowerMac 6100 Graphics Performance.

The 6100 was upgraded to 66 MHz in January 1995.

See our NuBus Video Card Guide for information on adding a NuBus video card, which will also require a NuBus adapter.

Variants

6100av. Includes video-in and video-out. Supports 19" and 21" monitors. Has 2 MB VRAM. (AV card can be added to any 6100 with a free PDS slot.)

6100 DOS compatible. Card includes a 66 MHz 486DX2 CPU, SVGA output, and a single SIMM slot supporting up to 32 MB RAM. DOS card can share RAM with Macintosh, which is slower, or use its own memory. (DOS Compatibility Card can be added to any 6100 with a free PDS slot.)

Offline beller

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show all replies
Re: My first Mac! (A classic).
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 08:37:37 PM »
Looks like a nice system! Congrats!

You know, I never really thought about how much that PPC Mac looks like the Amiga 1000!

Bob