Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Reboot for the retro PC relics  (Read 2739 times)

Description:

Offline recidivist

• Show all replies
Re: Reboot for the retro PC relics
« on: July 31, 2009, 07:06:42 PM »
There is a reason only those with something to prove still use old computers for anything useful.

All the others have been forced by  whatever business they are associated with to "upgrade" even though the task did not in and of itself,need more computer. My work requires  the use of several databases ,a spreadsheet, a fairly complex  program that manages  site access ,security, and surveillance of a 100 acre campus,and a couple video apps ,all of which run fine on a 700mHz PIII WinNT .All but the  real-time video program used to run  on 486 computers and there is  little ,if any, discernable improvement now that they run on a P4.
  I personally know someone who used his C128 to manage a Tupperware business for many years.
  And let us not forget the U.S. government requiring the use of Windows and IE for the  government Hurricane Katrina assistance website!
 I ,and just about everyone else on the web,was forced into getting a newer computer and newer operating system and newer browser so that the websites could push more unwanted ads at me!If the sites detect an older browser many refuse to allow you to see any content!

It is as though only  drivers with new cars were allowed on all but a few gravel roads in the back-country.

The desire for full screen high resolution video games ,simulations,and movies  drive the computer field.

At times I wonder if some people almost hate the stubborn users of older technology because the buyers of the new are  afraid they just might have spent their money without cause.Or is it disdain as for drivers of old cars?

Let each use that which he can afford and wishes to use .