Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Perfect OS  (Read 3647 times)

Description:

Offline mlankton

• Show all replies
    • http://pseudoexpert.com
Re: The Perfect OS
« on: July 30, 2009, 03:34:13 PM »
I am excited about the prospect of Haiku running on my laptop, provided the hardware support of Haiku will allow me to do so. It runs great under VirtualBox on my Mac, and the laptop in question is a little underpowered with a dual 1.46GHz pentium and only 1 gig of ram. Right now I have Mandriva linux on it, and I had to resort to an Xfce desktop to get any feeling of snappy-ness out of it. I never was a big fan of linux, being a BSD guy, but it still surprises me that linux would eat almost 600 megs of ram just sitting there. That's close to Vista.

I also have a good feeling about Aros. However, I have to say that after years of Amiga-envy, and going back and forth trying to decide if I was actually going to break down and buy some hardware that would run MorphOS or Amiga OS4, as much fun as I've had playing with Aros lately, it's a little buggy. I know that aros has a long way to go yet, even though it's recently begun to resemble something usable after so long in development. I don't know, after a decade plus of being a unix user, and specifically, from the NeXT camp, maybe I wouldn't have the patience to run an os that was susceptible to rogue apps bringing the whole works down. Maybe I already missed that boat, not having an Amiga back in the day. I'd still like to get my hands on OS4 and MorphOS, just to play with.

Back on track, OS X is very, very nice. It has an exceptional balance between being a system idiots and small children can use adeptly while providing an environment and tools that make the expert happy as well.

It's gratifying to know that someone is reading, thanks guys!