Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS using Amiga code?  (Read 6590 times)

Description:

Offline ThemambomanTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
AROS using Amiga code?
« on: October 20, 2002, 12:08:33 AM »
I've heard references and rumors on the internet that part of AROS is based on original Amiga OS code?  Is this true?

How did they get hold of it?  Did Bill McEwan make a special deal with Aaron Digulla or something?

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: AROS using Amiga code?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2002, 01:07:59 AM »
Okay, what the heck is going on here?  I asked a simple question and I get responses like this:

DonnyEMU wrote:
Thermamborman: are you sure you are not spreading dis-information purposefully to attempt to side track this project that they are working on and their success? Or cast aspursions on the product's viability cause you know it actually works better and didn't ever come from any of your named sources for the "other" product you mention..

and another:

falemagn wrote:
Oh, well, we're getting the first trolls: this must mean we're becoming famous :)

Fabio Alemagna

I personally like AROS and hope it succeeds.  I was confused on the subject, since I was under the impression that it was a re-implementation from scratch, mimicking the API and behavior.

The only reason I asked was because I've seen at least 2 or 3 references by people on the net that indicated that AROS actually used some Amiga OS source code.  

For example, this is from the readme of V39.3 reqtools.library from aminet:

==========
This is a back port of the AROS reqtools.library -
which itself is based on the original Amiga ReqTools
sources - to AmigaOS.
==========

Also, I saw an article on OSNews.com about Morphos, and the guy mentioned that it had some Amiga OS code.   I have admittedly been out of the Amiga scene for a while and only occasionally drop in to check what is going on. I remember that there was a move a few years ago to get whoever owned Amiga OS at the time to release the source.

That's it.  I had no proof, I only thought that maybe Amiga Inc had opened up some source to other developers based on nothing but a few limited sentences here and there.

I only came here to ask the question.  However, I was immediately attacked as a troll, a rumor-monger and someone interested in undermining the AROS effort.

What has made everyone so paranoid?  To Quote the sarge in the Bill Murray movie Stripes: "Lighten up, Francis..."

8-)

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: AROS using Amiga code?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2002, 02:25:39 AM »

blubbe wrote:

==========
This is a back port of the AROS reqtools.library -
which itself is based on the original Amiga ReqTools
sources - to AmigaOS.
==========

ReqTools isnt part of AmigaOS. There.

Well now I know.   For some reason, I thought it was an OS library.

I do hope AROS succeeds.  What I've seen so far has been very impressive.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.