Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BOH Level Editor  (Read 5956 times)

Description:

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
BOH Level Editor
« on: June 11, 2009, 01:27:08 PM »
As some of you may know, I'm a big fan of the new OS4/OSX/Windows game 'BOH' by Simone Bevilacqua (http://www.bohthegame.com/). The game is designed to be expandable with new missions, sounds and graphics. Although the mission files are ASCII text, I found it difficult to visualise what missions would look like in-game, particularly their size and proportions. So I decided to write an editor to allow graphical creation of missions.

The editor is web-based and has been tested in Safari (Mac), Internet Explorer (Windows), OWB (OS4) and iBrowse (OS4). The following features are present:

• Help page
  • Undo
  • Upload of existing (non-encrypted) maps
  • Copy and paste
  • Row/column insertion and deletion
  • Zoom in and out
  • Fill
  • All tiles and objects from BOH
  • Floors
  • Automatic recalculation of surrounding tiles when placing, pasting or filling tiles (e.g. to change buttons to passages when placing barriers on either side of them)
  • Save to a BOH .bmd file or display ASCII map data for copy/paste in to a text editor

The following features are currently missing:

• Parse header from input (though a default header will be created for new maps and an existing header loaded from a loaded map)
  • Customise header for output (any changes to the header must be made in a text editor)
  • Tile orientations (passages and staircases always display the same way round, but patches of tiles which have corners and edges are corrected automatically to display properly)

The following bugs are known:

• Occasionally hangs when uploading files. Just press "open" again and the file should upload correctly
  • When opening the editor for the first time, the empty map is not created properly, so attempting to modify it results in weird effects on the map and a blank map when reloading. To fix this, just create a new map using the "New" button on the tool bar. This problem does not occur once a blank map has been created or an existing map opened
  • The courier font is used in various places, but this may not display correctly if this font is not present

Please let me (motorollin) know if you identify any bugs or other issues or if you have any suggestions or questions. You can also let me know if you like it ;) I'm hoping to address the above issues if there is sufficient interest in the editor, though none of them should cause problems creating missions. Please do not contact Simone, Editel or the BOH support email address regarding the editor as they are not responsible for supporting it.

You can find the editor here:

http://www.mashley.net/BOHEditor/

It might take a little while to load initially, particularly if you load a map with lots of different tiles and especially on Amiga browsers. Once the images have been cached it's quite fast even on OS4 browsers since most of the work is done server-side by PHP with minimal reliance on Javascript.

Have fun, and remember to share your creations with the community :)
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline saimo

Re: BOH Level Editor
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:57:14 AM »
Hey, amigans, I'd like to publicly thank motorollin for his hard work and for all the the support he offered to my project! Also, his editor is very nice and easy to use, so I invite all BOH's players to give it a shot ;)

saimo

P.S. Missions development details can be found in the official developer's manual available on the DOWNLOADS page of BOH's website.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:15:26 AM by saimo »
RETREAM - retro dreams for Amiga, Commodore 64 and PC

Offline saimo

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 11:58:45 PM »
I'd like to point out that update3 introduced some changes to missions descriptors, so the header template produced by the editor is no longer valid (not motorollin's fault, of course). In a nutshell, you'll have to edit the headers by hand (all the necessary details can be found in the BOH developer's manual) until motorollin finds the time to adapt/complete his editor.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 08:34:48 PM »
I can't believe I missed this thread...thanks motorollin..I started a new level during the Christmas break but alas time is always the enemy...looking forward to trying your editor:)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline saimo

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 10:36:18 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;549935
I can't believe I missed this thread...thanks motorollin..I started a new level during the Christmas break but alas time is always the enemy...looking forward to trying your editor:)

Motorollin did an excellent job with the editor, but, unfortunately, many things have changed with the updates, so the missions it creates are not fully compatible and require hand-fixing (this not Motorollin's fault, of course). Anyway, still the editor helps a lot with designing maps.

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 07:40:28 AM »
Yes unfortunately the editor is way out of date with all the updates to BOH, and I just don't have time at the moment to update the editor to match. Once I've finished my degree I might have another look at it, but for now it's just not possible.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline saimo

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 09:06:25 AM »
Quote from: motorollin;550332
Yes unfortunately the editor is way out of date with all the updates to BOH, and I just don't have time at the moment to update the editor to match. Once I've finished my degree I might have another look at it, but for now it's just not possible.

Hey, motorollin, nice to hear from you! :)
Yeah, I know you are busy with your studies - now that I think of it, I should have mentioned that in my post.
Best luck with your degree!

Offline klx300r

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
time to bring this old thread back to life.

@ motorollin

well I guess you're in the real world of work now with no time etc etc and if you have small kids then spare time is non existent:razz:

anyhow wondering if you can put your old editor up again or just send it to me as I'd like to try to find some spare time to play again:anger:

Offline saimo

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 05:50:10 PM »
@klx300r

Unfortunately, the work it would require motorollin would be much more than you imagine: the descriptors have changed along the way as I was expanding the game, so the editor became outdated and incompatible.
Of course, if motorollin feels like reworking the editor, I'd have no objections.
That said, BOH was designed precisely with the aim of making it possible to create missions with just a text editor... you still can create your own missions ;)

Offline klx300r

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 08:46:06 PM »
Quote from: saimo;700917
@klx300r

Unfortunately, the work it would require motorollin would be much more than you imagine: the descriptors have changed along the way as I was expanding the game, so the editor became outdated and incompatible.
Of course, if motorollin feels like reworking the editor, I'd have no objections.
That said, BOH was designed precisely with the aim of making it possible to create missions with just a text editor... you still can create your own missions ;)

I know Simone but just thought I'd ask just the same;) actually even the old one would be cool for me to look at if you still have a copy

Offline saimo

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
Sorry. the editor was entirely web-based, so I never had it.