Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gran Turismo 4  (Read 4639 times)

Description:

Offline X-ray

• Show all replies
Re: Gran Turismo 4
« on: November 26, 2004, 11:52:48 AM »
Yup, the only reason I got a PS2 back in 2001 was because of GT3. OF course the Grand theft Auto series was a bonus, a huge bonus, but basically my PS2 has paid for itself just with GT3 enjoyment.

And now we will have GT4. Awesome stuff. I'm a fan of the muscle cars: I can see a few competitions happening around here involving a GTO or two.

By the way is GT4 an online game? Because if it is I may get a network card if anyone here reckons they can take me on.

Offline X-ray

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 12:21:39 PM »
I note that SCEI have still had no luck trying to license Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche (although RUF cars are allowed). Here's a link to the cars that are supposed to be in the game:

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35057

In terms of GT3, my favourite 3 street-legal vehicles were the Mustang SVT, Zonda S and the LM Road Car.

But in GT4 I can see that being changed to the Boss Mustang, Zonda S, and Saleen S7. Well, if the Boss isn't there I can be persuaded to choose the Dodge Charger instead.

GT4: it is a definite purchase for PS2 owners, and with the consoles at £100 here in the UK, it may even be a tempting package deal for someone who doesn't have a PS2. You can get the quiet slim version now.

Offline X-ray

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 03:26:40 PM »
@ Vince

Would they be releasing a new version or some kind of add-on (if such a thing can be made for PS2) ?

Offline X-ray

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 05:06:39 PM »
I wish at least Porsche and Ferrari would play ball with the licensing. A Carrera GT and an Enzo would liven up quite a few races.

Also when the PS3 arrives, I hope they will have the resources to merge the excellent graphics of GT4 with decent physics, like Burnout 3. I can't see them achieving it on the PS2.

Offline X-ray

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 05:45:13 PM »
For me it is the opposite: I want to mess around with stuff I can't have, even if it is just a game.

Offline X-ray

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 08:36:06 PM »
Got GT4 today.
Graphics are amazing, nice selection of cars and tracks, same damn licence tests though and the computer cars are still proctologists.

But...well worth it. You gotta try it to believe the driving physics (no damage physics unfortunately). And if you have a GT3 save file you can transfer 100,000 credits from it so that you don't have to start out with a frikkin Lupo or a Mazda.
The Mustang GT is only 25k and you can use the remaining 75k to spruce it up a bit. I chose a more expensive but classic option: a 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda in Bahama Yellow. It looks and sounds fantastic.
Just letting the B-spec driver earn me some money so I can afford that tasty Saleen S7...

Offline X-ray

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 09:13:47 PM »
 :-?

Offline X-ray

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 08:20:14 AM »
@ Adolescent

Yup, that 787B was one of my favorites from GT3 and I look forward to getting that. 12mil and more than 90%...respect man. I think on GT3 I finished about 98% of it but there were 3 races that I couldn't win, the Lotus, the Yaris and the F1 races.

@ SyrTran

I'm glad they've included muscle cars but I agree that maybe they could have taken out 12 Nissan Skylines and put in several more muscle cars instead. I don't know if the Dodge Challenger and Boss Mustang are secret cars, but I haven't seen them yet.
Oh, and a Lupo has no business being in the game.

@ PMC
Your Alfa is here, in fact it is used in one of the International A licences

Offline X-ray

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 07:56:17 AM »
@ SyrTran

Speaking of that Ford GT, I remember cursing and ranting because of the Special Licence in GT3 where you had to take the GT40 race Car around the Seattle Circuit. I battled with that, big time. I wasn't too happy to see the Ford GT making an appearance in GT4 in the special licenses section, again on the Seattle Circuit! It must be easier to drive because I managed it alot better than the GT3 test.

@ Adolescent

B-spec is the business. Especially for me because I need credits to tune this 'Cuda. On some tracks when I drive it, it's like a block of butter on a non-stick frying-pan, but the B-spec driver seems to have more restraint. He can't win them all though, which is nice. Sometimes you have to step in or you won't win at all. Nice feature.

Edit: I may have been a bit rash choosing the 'Cuda: the Buick '62 seems to be giving me a run for my money. Shame it is ugly as hell, it looks like it belongs in Grand Theft Auto  :lol:

Offline X-ray

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 10:23:10 PM »
@ Adolescent

Thanks for the tip, that just saved me several hours of hanging around. If it wasn't for B-spec I think a lot of those endurance races would be kicked to the curb.
I'm only on 4%.
Hmmmm, long way to go.

Edit: what they could have done is made 5 out of 25 laps compulsory A-spec...(player's choice, straight after pit)

Offline X-ray

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 11:06:47 PM »
Just found out something cool...my generic USB2 seven-in-one card reader for the PC is recognised by GT4. This was an el-cheapo reader/writer just for keeping backups of encrypted text files. I tried it on my PS2 just now and the quality of the saved picture is so good that I am tempted to build a montage of some of the classics. (Pictures saved to the PS2 memory cards are always compressed, whereas the USB ones do not have to be).
Nice feature, didn't think it would work with this reader and wasn't going to pay for a MicroVault just to save pictures from GT4.
In case anyone is interested this is the reader (mine has a USB2 logo on it, top right corner, otherwise it is identical).

Edit: the card I used was a 256mb Sony Memory Stick

Offline X-ray

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 08:16:16 AM »
@ Holley and Adolescent

I don't have an X-Box but what I saw on the previews online of Forza looked good. The graphics aren't as good as GT4, but the damage and the AI could easily make up for it. The only variable then is whether the cars handle as nicely as GT4.