Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gran Turismo 4  (Read 4601 times)

Description:

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
Re: Gran Turismo 4
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 08:57:06 PM »
@X-ray:

It's amazing what A4KT can do with CSPPC attached and only 96MB ram. ;-)

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 09:13:47 PM »
 :-?

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 09:23:25 PM »
It's a joke.

As if, you know...it was running on your Amiga. :-)

guest1955

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 10:15:08 PM »
Don't give up your day job ;-)

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 11:05:56 PM »
@X-ray

I'm about 90% done.  I've just got the driving missions and a few of the special condition races to finish (I think).  I'm sitting at around 12 million in the bank with hundreds of cars (including all of the "secret" black cars) in the garage.  Funny thing is my favorite car from GT2 still hasn't returned, Mitsu FTO LM Race Car.  But, the Renown Mazda 787B is still there and still rips up the track just as well...

Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline SyrTran

• Show only replies by SyrTran
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 11:10:24 PM »
It's slightly disappointing if you're a fan of classic American muscle, though.  I've had it for over a month, and it seems like the Japanese designers don't know/care about musclecar specs.

First, I won the '67 Cougar XR-7.  It had about 320hp.  It also had a 390ci engine.  Someone should've explained to the designers that the '7' stood for 7 _liters_.  That's 427 cubic inches, guys.  And about 380hp.  At least a simple (stage 1) tune-up gave it another 100hp. :-D

Then, I won the 70 Plymouth Superbird, an honest-to-deity Legend.  They got the engine size and hp right, but the rear wing is _not_ adjustable, and it has a top speed of 120 MPH.  Real Superbirds were barely-street-legal versions of the NASCAR cars.  Their 400+HP 440ci engines would pull -stock- Superbirds to well past 150MPH.  And the rear wing was (and still is) adjustable.  Not to mention sub-13-second quarter mile (400m) times, but that just may be my inability to launch from a dead stop. ;-)
Tony T.

People who generalize are always wrong.
;-)

A500 (put away), A3000d, Genesis Flyer (A1200 tower with
Toaster/Flyer), and A1XE with OS4pre

Oh, yeah, and this WinXP box with Lightwave 7.5

Offline adolescent

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2005, 05:30:40 AM »

SyrTran wrote:
It's slightly disappointing if you're a fan of classic American muscle, though.  I've had it for over a month, and it seems like the Japanese designers don't know/care about musclecar specs.

The designers really pride themselves on getting specs, details, and physics correct.  AFAIK, if there are specs that are wrong, then they're given the wrong specs by the manufacturer.  (more later)

First, I won the '67 Cougar XR-7.  It had about 320hp.  It also had a 390ci engine.  Someone should've explained to the designers that the '7' stood for 7 _liters_.  That's 427 cubic inches, guys.  And about 380hp.  At least a simple (stage 1) tune-up gave it another 100hp. :-D

Incorrect.  The 67 Cougar XR7 was available in many engine sizes, not just a 7 liter.  I'm sure the designers didn't want to include 5-6 engine options on a single car so they picked one of the more popular combos.

Then, I won the 70 Plymouth Superbird, an honest-to-deity Legend.  They got the engine size and hp right, but the rear wing is _not_ adjustable, and it has a top speed of 120 MPH.  

Haven't driven this one enough to see, but you should be able to tune it to well over 120MPH.  Also, are you sure the downforce isn't adjustable?  I load mine up and try it out tomorrow.

Offline X-ray

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2005, 08:20:14 AM »
@ Adolescent

Yup, that 787B was one of my favorites from GT3 and I look forward to getting that. 12mil and more than 90%...respect man. I think on GT3 I finished about 98% of it but there were 3 races that I couldn't win, the Lotus, the Yaris and the F1 races.

@ SyrTran

I'm glad they've included muscle cars but I agree that maybe they could have taken out 12 Nissan Skylines and put in several more muscle cars instead. I don't know if the Dodge Challenger and Boss Mustang are secret cars, but I haven't seen them yet.
Oh, and a Lupo has no business being in the game.

@ PMC
Your Alfa is here, in fact it is used in one of the International A licences

Offline adolescent

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2005, 09:56:46 PM »
@X-ray

I've been playing 1-2 hours a day during lunch break and after work, plus some long weekends so I've put in plenty of time.

B-spec is your friend.  Remember that.  

I've had much more credits but I've bought about 20 million worth of cars.  You can build up quite a tidy sum easily in this version.  (I won't give you any spoilers unless you need some...)

The hardest thing is the driving missions.  Some are literally timed (magic lap races, slipstreams, etc.) so you finish within .1 second if you drive perfectly.  

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2005, 10:25:14 PM »
Somehow I managed to miss the release of GT4. Wow. I had looked for it at Christmas time, I had looked for it Easter weekend, but nothing anywhere. Went to Best Buy today and saw piles of them and got me one. :) Can't wait to get home from work tonight...
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Martin_Lee

• Show only replies by Martin_Lee
    • http://amiga1200.deviantart.com
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2005, 11:07:13 PM »
those graphics are amazing!

I havent played gt since v2 but this looks great!!!
shame about the lack of muscle cars! theyre the best bit!!!

Offline SyrTran

• Show only replies by SyrTran
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2005, 03:37:25 AM »
I just checked again, and the Superbird has the 426 instead of the 440 (both engines were available in the real car).  I don't know what the top speed on the 426 version was.  It may be accurate at 120. :-(

What _still_ amazes me about driving the big-block Cougar is that the darn thing has great handling!  FE engines aren't light by any measure, and the Cougar is one of those light-rear-end pony cars.  I was expecting the dictionary definition of "understeer", but the nose goes around corners very nicely.  It's a lot of fun to drive.

That said, I'd have to say that the street car I like driving best is the Ford GT.  Except, the first time (and second time, and so on) I drove it, I couldn't understand why the handling was so slippery.  It's supposed to be a SUPERcar!  Why wouldn't it stay on the road?!?

Um, after a couple more times "introducing myself" to the guardrails, I realized I was entering corners almost twice as fast as with the Mustang GT or Nismo 400 (yet -another- Skyline ;-)).  If the real car is this smooth, I'm definitely going to have to figure out which family member to sell to get one. :-D
Tony T.

People who generalize are always wrong.
;-)

A500 (put away), A3000d, Genesis Flyer (A1200 tower with
Toaster/Flyer), and A1XE with OS4pre

Oh, yeah, and this WinXP box with Lightwave 7.5

Offline X-ray

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2005, 07:56:17 AM »
@ SyrTran

Speaking of that Ford GT, I remember cursing and ranting because of the Special Licence in GT3 where you had to take the GT40 race Car around the Seattle Circuit. I battled with that, big time. I wasn't too happy to see the Ford GT making an appearance in GT4 in the special licenses section, again on the Seattle Circuit! It must be easier to drive because I managed it alot better than the GT3 test.

@ Adolescent

B-spec is the business. Especially for me because I need credits to tune this 'Cuda. On some tracks when I drive it, it's like a block of butter on a non-stick frying-pan, but the B-spec driver seems to have more restraint. He can't win them all though, which is nice. Sometimes you have to step in or you won't win at all. Nice feature.

Edit: I may have been a bit rash choosing the 'Cuda: the Buick '62 seems to be giving me a run for my money. Shame it is ugly as hell, it looks like it belongs in Grand Theft Auto  :lol:

Offline adolescent

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2005, 12:33:07 AM »
@X-ray

96%...  Hahahah, almost done.

I did most of the endurance races (especially the 24 hours) using B-spec.  I'd spec a car so it was about in the 50-75 A-spec points, then go into B-spec and set it to 4, overtake, then put the playback speed up to 3.  The only problem is after a pit-stop the playback speed gets reset so you have to check on it.  But, if you're studying or just watching TV it's easy to switch back and forth...  :-D  

Offline X-ray

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2005, 10:23:10 PM »
@ Adolescent

Thanks for the tip, that just saved me several hours of hanging around. If it wasn't for B-spec I think a lot of those endurance races would be kicked to the curb.
I'm only on 4%.
Hmmmm, long way to go.

Edit: what they could have done is made 5 out of 25 laps compulsory A-spec...(player's choice, straight after pit)

Offline The_Power_of_the_Ginger

• Show only replies by The_Power_of_the_Ginger
    • http://madowl.coconia.net
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 23, 2005, 09:32:07 PM »
For GT4, they should have included the car salesman from Gremlin's Supercars, where you had to sweet-talk your way to a lower price.

Or maybe next time they can put in some AI. That would be nice.

Or some damage!

Sorry, F1 Challenge aficionado (sic) here. Except I still also play F1GP. Because I can create the 2005 cars and drivers in 20 minutes...

And so ends my disjointed post. :-D
\\"Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!\\"