Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: US Copyright Office Examines "Orphan Works" Issues  (Read 2841 times)

Description:

Offline Cymric

• Show all replies
Re: US Copyright Office Examines "Orphan Works" Is
« on: February 02, 2005, 01:22:44 PM »
@Lempkee: the way I read it was that someone is going to collect opinions---and nothing more---about what to do with material where the original author is (nearly) impossible to get hold of. Whether that means automatically putting it into the public domain is quite another story.

I sense you resent the ideas behind it, but if I am allowed to play the devil's advocate for a moment, the fact that an author could not be tracked down and apparently does not respond to various requests also indicates he has lost respect for his own work too: if he had simply said 'all requests, in whatever form, are denied', the matter would be closed there and then.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Cymric

• Show all replies
Re: US Copyright Office Examines "Orphan Works" Is
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 10:21:53 AM »
Personally, I think the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act is out of control. The life of the author plus fifty years was bad enough--seventy years is downright crazy. Given the average life expectancy (in the US) of seventy-five years, that places the duration of the copyright for most works to one hundred fourty-five years. Yikes! But I'm veering off topic. . . .

And everyone knows who were the big lobbyists behind the scenes to make sure that this law was enacted.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.