Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bogomips in AmigaOne Linux  (Read 4201 times)

Description:

Offline cdfr

• Show all replies
Re: Bogomips in AmigaOne Linux
« on: January 09, 2003, 07:39:02 PM »
Right, the Morphos version exists and is available for a limited number of betatesters.  ;-)
Benchmarking is very difficult because there are a lot of different things to test and different ways to do it. I remember that Bytemarks were always better for PPC and SPARC, that SPEC (sponsored by Intel) was better for Intel (how strange!) ...
It really depends what compiler your use, what optimization are done etc.
That's why fist you need to compare apples with apples: execute the same code in the same conditions.
For example I don't think that comparing a system speed and an emulated system speed specialy with JIT) make any sense to have an idea of general speed difference.
Even in general, you can not say system X is 4 X faster than system Y.
For what ? CPU intense stuff ? My CPU is idling 99% of the time anyway !
I remember that I had to do a search replace in a huge text file at work and that the only tool I had was MS word. It completely froze my computer for hours. I took the same file and did the search / replace on my amiga with CED and it was finished in a few minutes.
Who in the PC world could think that some people still use 50 Mhz machine to browse internet, do mail etc ?
What counts is the user experience on the machine. Does it do the job ? Is it responsive. Does it get me mad or not ?
BTW Natmeg is doing an excelent job. Amigamark is going to be THE Amiga benchmark.   :-D  
Benchmark are fun but never make any general statement after looking at a benchmark. For example look at the bogomips test and the G3/604 and then look at dhrystones. What does it tells you ?

Offline cdfr

• Show all replies
Re: Bogomips in AmigaOne Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 09:50:18 PM »
hum, it looks like the 604 results are comparable to what we get on Linux/Apus.
The G3 results are more than suspicious.  :-?