Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to create a fast (but stable) OS3.9 AGA setup  (Read 43693 times)

Description:

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
Re: How to create a fast (but stable) OS3.9 AGA setup
« Reply #59 from previous page: December 27, 2009, 12:42:19 PM »
Hi all, great topic! I've got a quick question: what are you all using to do benchmarks with? sysinfo? sysspeed (which doesnt run on my machine, for some reason) or AIBB? do they also serve as a 'stability test' ?
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2009, 09:01:30 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;535165
Yep that's what I do, just use BlizKick instead of LoadModule and build a BB3 ROM to be copied to FASTRAM on startup ;)

Okay, I finally was successful in installing OS3.9+BB1+BB2+BB3 and added the lines to my Startup-Sequence without any errors showing up after a cold restart.  Hurray!

I don't know why this is true, but it only worked after I used Expert mode in the Installer program of BB2 and BB3.  The missing scsi.device DID finally show up copied to my DEVS: drawer so it could be loaded with LoadModule into Fast RAM.

I did add one thing to the lines that are suggested to be added to the Startup-Sequence.  Before the command "NOREBOOT" at the end of the LoadModule line I added the command "FAST", after I read the guide for LoadModule a little bit.  Maybe it was an unnecessary addition and the LoadModule command puts everything into Fast RAM anyway, but I added it anyway and I think I got about 200k of Chip RAM back after my next reboot after doing that.  Since LoadModule is now working, I am not sure that I will switch to BlizKick, unless someone here can give me a good reason to do so.  I still might use it to build a custom ROM file on this A1200/060 if I can understand the advantage of doing so over the LoadModule method.  I want to learn how to use it anyway as I have a 4mb KickFlash board I am thinking of using on my A4000T and will need to build a Kickstart ROM file for it in the near future.

I also looked at the speed optimization suggestions and unarchived the PatchFor020+ files and read how to use it.  It is not for the faint of heart and certainly not an easy install as you have to manually run the patch on what ever files you think it might provide a speed increase for.  There is a list of which ones it should help and directions on how to use it, but I am not sure it is worth the effort, so I would appreciate any comments from those that have used it about how much of a speed increase they have noticed, or have test results of how it has worked on their systems.

Before I started my latest install of OS3.9 plus all the BoingBags and extras, I downloaded SFS and changed the file system on the partition I have been using to test these installs of the OS and BB's and I think that just that one change has made a very noticeable difference in performance.  I think I will now change the file systems on all of my partitions to SFS, or I might dig out my copy of PFS3 and try it on my other boot partition instead of SFS to later do some speed comparison tests between the two boot partitions after I get one boot partition set up just the way I want it I am going to copy it over in it's entirety to the other boot partition, sort of a mirrored boot partition to use as a backup in case one of them becomes corrupted (which is not supposed to happen on SFS, or PSF partitions).

I am enjoying working on this A1200/060 more than I thought I would.  After working with a fast and very nice looking and full of extras Amiga emulation using Amikit on a Quad Core 3.0GHz PC, and running MorphOS2.4 on my 1.5GHz G4 MacMini, I did not think I would enjoy OS3.9 on an 060 A1200 without a 24bit graphics card as much as I am.  The challenge of getting the most out of this old hardware is very rewarding, even though I have spent a lot more time on it than I had planned and still have many more hours to spend before I have it finished, but I am getting closer and can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.  I have to test it on at least one more monitor to determine if my IndivisionAGA is faulty, as I have not been satisfied with the display's stability so far, either using NTSC monitor driver, or the HighGFX driver, but I hope it is just that the two old CRT's that I have tested it on so far are on their last legs and that it is not the IndivisionAGA, as I have heard nothing but great reviews about it from friends who have them too.

Edit: @Mike, I used to run MacOS7.5.3 on my A2000/030@33MHz and it didn't seem to bad for the time. I am pretty sure I had it using my PicassoII graphics card, which I am sure helped it a lot.  Back in the day (hate that term) I could brag to my two sisters who were Mac users about how I could run MacOS7.5.3 faster than they could while still running AmigaOS and Windows on my Bridgeboard all at the same time.

@rvo_nl, I don't know what speed test software to use after I get everything set up the way I want it, but hope someone here will give us both some suggestons.  I know that sysinfo has gotten lots of bad  reputation for being inaccurate, so maybe sysspeed will be a better choice.  I have no experience with AIBB, so can't say anything good or bad about it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:12:27 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2009, 10:44:26 AM »
hi amigadave, thanks. hope to hear some suggestions from others. sysspeed is working for me now, after I reinstalled MUI. BTW, I know exactly what you're talking about regarding getting the most out of old hardware and how rewarding it can be. I've still got a long way to go myself, but it's still fun to keep trying :) Good to hear you've got the 3.9 + Boing Bag installation sorted, it took ages for me aswell!
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline mike-

• Show only replies by mike-
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2009, 06:04:23 PM »
@amigadave

SpeedyIDE ( speeds ide by 5-10 times) , SpeedyCHIP,  fusionreserve ( replaces a shapsehifter patch), quickboot ( removes the lsd boot display, and should be seconds quicker, i thinik), noclick , and localfast i believe saves chip , speedychip is not necessary though.. its been replaced by other patches . im working from memory so.. read up :> good to hear you´ve got her up.
C= Amiga Addict & Dendrophiliac
(Oo)
⎛☮ໄ
ﮑὠՀ

Offline Ancalimon

• Show only replies by Ancalimon
    • http://www.myspace.com/orhunmusic
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2010, 02:01:15 AM »
ftext causes screen corruption when dragging icons. some icons appear corrupted when I start dragging them. Any ideas?

could someone who managed to have a perfect AGA wb with boingbag3, mcp, fblit ftext, blazewcp, systempatch3.3 post his startup-sequence and user-startup? Also the versions of patches, etc used.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 02:58:35 AM by Ancalimon »
A4000T, 604e@400&060@66, 128MB+16MB+Zorram256, CVisionPPC, VLabMotion, Toccata, XSurf100&RapidRoad, Prisma Megamix

A1200, Blizzard060@50, 256MB, Blizzard IV SCSI, FastATA mk4

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2010, 06:16:32 AM »
Quote from: FaLLeNOnE;535760
ftext causes screen corruption when dragging icons. some icons appear corrupted when I start dragging them. Any ideas?

could someone who managed to have a perfect AGA wb with boingbag3, mcp, fblit ftext, blazewcp, systempatch3.3 post his startup-sequence and user-startup? Also the versions of patches, etc used.

See my original post on this thread ;)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline walkero

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2010, 08:50:03 AM »
I'd like to know where did you find those nice glowicons.

Offline jeraldfler

• Show only replies by jeraldfler
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2010, 01:14:54 AM »
Quote from: ;
Re fasterI dont think its as fast as they claim

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2011, 05:08:07 AM »
Hey Amigadave + others

So can anyone report their finding with Cybergrafx4 AGA driver please? is it better than the commodore driver? ?

btw cool thread :)
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline zipper

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2011, 05:30:24 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;614569
So can anyone report their finding with Cybergrafx4 AGA driver please? is it better than the commodore driver? ?

I thought it was working just with CGX3 and ditched on v4?

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2012, 11:17:34 PM »
Quote from: Minuous;535106

I did this a few years ago, actually, and AmiKit decided to cause lots of dramas for everyone, getting various people's sites shut down left and right even after the Kickstart was removed. (Including, as it turns out, a medical forum, etc. ie. stuff which had nothing to do with Amiga.) He sees himself as some kind of "Cloanto representative" since he is getting paid by them to shut down sites.

Umm considering that Cloanto paid good money for the rights to the kickstarts they have every right to shut down sites that give them away.  So if by "drama" you mean punishing people that are freely distributing copyright materials then sure...

I like everyone else would like free kisckstarts. One of the main features of Amiga Forever is that it comes with kickstarts. I even used my CD with OS 4.1 u4 and the built in Run UAE.

Great thread btw
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2012, 09:12:42 AM »
Ok I finished playing around with my new 1200's setup, now up to 128 colors and still nice and fast.

AGA only screen shots (800x600 SuperPlus Indy Mrk2 + Ken's excellent ICONS).

Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2012, 03:06:31 AM »
Whao! love the clean classic setup!  I guess your on a 060 now and the original 030 was too slow?  I just got my v3.1 roms cant wait to try a higher WB revision for my a1200 :)

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2012, 04:17:24 AM »
Thanks, I like to keep it pretty simple.   The more patches and hacks you install the less stable everything is.   When my programs crash I like to know if it's really my fault or not ;)

Yep the 060 helps for sure, I'll upload a video when I get my new camera.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2012, 07:39:05 AM »
When I use superplus screen mode and 3.9 with indi MK2 on my 1200 the screen flashes black when clicking drawers etc so I stayed at 3.1 instead :(
What do you use?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:48:32 AM by som99 »

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Peter K's awesome new icon.library :)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!