Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS Support  (Read 2601 times)

Description:

Offline DonnyEMUTopic starter

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
AROS Support
« on: July 10, 2003, 04:40:33 AM »
I would like to take an informal poll here..

How many folks here have went to aros.org and actually downloaded the ISO and burned it and booted it on a native i386 machine? Even running from a CD and with the new full color VESA driver it's DAMN FAST, especially on my 1 gigahertz machine and on my 1.8 ghz laptop it screams.

It looks like OS3.1 smells like OS3.1 oh wait, no need for chip ram and fast ram, it will use any ram for it. Wow PARALLAX SCROLLING like in Shadow of the Beast COOOL...  

I used to be an amiga developer during the Commodore era, and I have to say YEAH! No BPTRs, no weird semiphores, wow a hardware abstraction layer... Wow all my old devcon disks with source compile and run without much if any at all modification (under the linux hosted developer version)..

Oh wait.. this is a clone of an OS, how does it get this compatible with a clean room implementation. Wow it's implemented right with actual hooks for the future. I now care less about 68k emulation after running this. Hey wait, we need a good Paint program for this..  

Maybe I will write one, everything is there to make it work.. Hey this works on a machine I already got and due to it's memory implementation it seems a lot faster than Mac OSX or Windows XP..

Okay folks, those are my thoughts, now how many of you with intel boxes there (yeah I know you are in the closet about it) have really tried this and like it?

Who here supports their valliant effort? I for one do.. I wanna hear from you..  I don't need to hear about PPCs and OS4 or MorphOS.. I wanna know who here truly likes AROS better like I do.. Have you gave it a free spin and a chance. A 1.8 gigahz machine with and Amiga like OS is nothing to look down on..

So one sentence do you like aros?? C'mon everyone..
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
Re: AROS Support
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 05:10:19 AM »
Aros rules.

Once it gets TCP/IP and an OpenGL compatible api, it will be the only Amiga compatible OS that matters.

Free, uses dirt cheap AthlonXP3200+ cpu's, not tied to proprietary hardware, or licencing.

And you don't have to keep wondering when/if the parent company will fold.
this space for rent

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 07:15:19 AM »
by T_Bone on 2003/7/10 0:10:19

Aros rules.

Once it gets TCP/IP and an OpenGL compatible api, it will be the only Amiga compatible OS that matters.

Free, uses dirt cheap AthlonXP3200+ cpu's, not tied to proprietary hardware, or licencing.

And you don't have to keep wondering when/if the parent company will fold.

TeamAROS is always accepting donations for funding the AROS developers in targetted applications.  The first bounty project was recently finished (thanks again to Adam C. and John G. for taking the project on and completing it!) and the cash transferred to those Devs.

One thing I do love about AROS, it's capable of being run on many different CPU families.  This is the best way to keep everyone happy to have their OS run on their favorite machine.  Just imagine, one less thing to have long bitchy threads over. ;)

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 07:35:05 AM »
How many folks here have went to aros.org and actually downloaded the ISO and burned it and booted it on a native i386 machine?

I have downloaded the AROS ISOs (anything before July 2003) and tried with my X86 PCs**. It has potential...
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline JetFireDX

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 07:41:46 AM »
I have also gotten a recent iso of AROS to boot on my x86 machine. Seeing the speed of it kinda makes you wonder about the PPC huh? With the AmigaOS is just doesn't matter which CPU its on, its gonna fly. I had most of the heavy graphic demos on the CD running at once and all of them were doing very well. My best friend had his G4 800 Mac next to my AMD 2ghz and he was shocked how well AROS was running. When I get a few pay checks under my belt the AROS guys are gonna be getting a donation from me thats for sure. All it needs now like has been said before is TCP/IP, a browser and a few other things and it'll be on my machine all the time. I think AROS is the ONLY way to go now. Forget the A1 or the Peg.

My one sentance: AROS @#$#% rules!

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 08:56:43 AM »
AROS rox :) its not in a stage where you'd want to use it all day everyday as your main OS,  basicly because large parts are unfinished and it doesnt have a large range of software, but its very very cool :)

I havnt tried many OSes, but its prolly one of the most well developed out of the turly alternative open source OSes around (to me linux isnt alternative).

I've tried it on, CD, i've downloaded and installed the linux hosted version and i was trying to compile the linux hosted version but ran into trouble. Im trying to develop a DOM for it. I've had a look around on the web and there doesnt seem to be a C++ DOM around. Certinaly not for AROS or AmigaOS and certain not for the MIT licence. :) So when i get my cross-compiler for AROS i'll be putting some hard work in for AROS and the community.

AROS ran fine on my PII 233 64M :)
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 10:05:21 AM »
I have downloaded a few isos of aros and yes it is a great piece of sofware but it dont like my cordless mouses, one is optical and one has a ball, both play up with it but they also play up with amithlon  also :-( it seems when i try to point on an icon the pointer jumps off the icon and i end up clicking an entirely different icon.
Ni72ous

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 10:55:21 AM »
I think AROS is the ONLY way to go now. Forget the A1 or the Peg.

Yes, AROS is IMHO the most workable AmigaOSoid solution, but don't think that AROS means x86... PPC and 68K (including one for plam devices, AROS in your pocket!!) versions are being developed and should make public appearences in the not too distant future (tm).

I hope to have AROS on a Peg too :-D

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 11:05:23 AM »
I have downloaded a few isos of aros and yes it is a great piece of sofware but it dont like my cordless mouse....

I had to move my cordless wheelmouse to the PS/2 port with the
little usb-ps2 adapter to be able to point and click (btw QNX does the same to me)

Aros seems swift and stable, but it didn't really do too much,... yet

wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline Jaruzel

• Show only replies by Jaruzel
    • http://www.Jaruzel.com
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2003, 11:05:34 AM »
Hmm, I tried AROS native on i386 on a Compaq Evo 2Ghz machine, and it was um, unusable to say the least.

Now, I KNOW it's not finished, and i KNOW theres huge chunks missing, but, the workbench kept freezing on me, and the windows stopped drawing icons, and sometimes it just went-away for about 5 mins, before actually responding to a mouse click.

This made even exploring the contents of the AROS cd a major hassle, so I didn't even try any other Amiga software.

I'm not against AROS, it's just too Alpha for me at the moment.

-Jar.
Enlightened Gurus Always Meditate.
Custom MUD Server | See My A1200D(Sparc)
[A1200D(Sparc) / 68040-33Mhz]

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2003, 11:13:08 AM »
Now, I KNOW it's not finished, and i KNOW theres huge chunks missing, but, the workbench kept freezing on me, and the windows stopped drawing icons, and sometimes it just went-away for about 5 mins, before actually responding to a mouse click.

Some more info about your set up would be good.

I'm not against AROS, it's just too Alpha for me at the moment.

Aye... it's bLeading Edge alright :-D

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2003, 11:24:07 AM »
@DethKnight
I had to move my cordless wheelmouse to the PS/2 port with the

I will unplug my usb optical cordless and and just try my ps2 cordless ball mouse to see what happens.

@Matt "Bloodline"
Any idea whern double clicking an icon will work? i hate click the execute in the command promt box.
Ni72ous

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2003, 11:44:11 AM »

@Matt "Bloodline"
Any idea whern double clicking an icon will work? i hate click the execute in the command promt box.

It will work when we move to the actual desktop, rather than the test one we use at the moment.

That said, I think Adam was planning to implement that very feature in wanderer some time this month!!!

Offline Jaruzel

• Show only replies by Jaruzel
    • http://www.Jaruzel.com
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2003, 11:46:57 AM »
@bloodline

It's a...

2GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor
400MHz Bus Speed
256Mb RAM
40Gb Hard Drive
Integrated AC-97 Sound
Integrated Intel Pro/100 Network Card
nVidia Vanta 16Mb Graphics Card

... if that helps, I'm surrounded by them here at work.

-Jar.
Enlightened Gurus Always Meditate.
Custom MUD Server | See My A1200D(Sparc)
[A1200D(Sparc) / 68040-33Mhz]

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2003, 11:54:35 AM »

Jaruzel wrote:
@bloodline

It's a...

2GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor
400MHz Bus Speed
256Mb RAM
40Gb Hard Drive
Integrated AC-97 Sound
Integrated Intel Pro/100 Network Card
nVidia Vanta 16Mb Graphics Card

... if that helps, I'm surrounded by them here at work.

-Jar.

Bah... :-(  I can't test any Intel P4 machines, I don't know any one who has one... we all have Athlons here, and one mate has a P3.