Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiWest 2013 Keynote Speech Report  (Read 2720 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: AmiWest 2013 Keynote Speech Report
« on: October 21, 2013, 03:41:16 AM »
News from Petah via Amigaworld.net

ok just to recap in short:
- aeon invests seriously in further ppc linux boxes that may happen to run os4 too to certain extent. (depends on how well os4 itself progress in the meantime)

- libre office is still not given up in contrary to os4 netbook and in particular warp3d for radeons hd that has been claimed to be in final stage of development (or at least fairly advanced) in the first quarter of this year.

- since the developers got stuck with updating warp3d they switched back to working on gallium port, gathering experience with warp3d in order to utilize it on gallium port is apparently not an issue anymore.

- said gallium is now the only key feature expected for os4.2. multiprocessor support (whatever kind of it) has been apparently postponed even further since it seems since months stalled at some stadium where it boots but has Speed and compatibility issues preventing it to be of any value to end user. the problematic has been throughout explained by aros developer, jason mcmullan, who pursues similar project on aros. the problems will be likely pretty similar.

- in the meantime os4 catches up with another feature the partner systems (aros and morphos) provide since some time: read/write support for ntfs filesystem.

in conclusion the situation has not changed much since last year or year ago. except aros and morphos are not doing that much better.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:44:22 AM by wawrzon »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:32:26 AM »
@MarkTime
this is one unusually thoughtful spot on post i have read in a while in favour of os4.

now.. investment in aros softwarewise may return if you fork a closed source distribution atop of aros, it shas been proposed and it has  even been done afair to certain extent (some closed source elements)

I'm not thrilled with the state of OS4 hardware either, but, I do always enjoy updates and news stories like this one - and I have to say, reading about new hardware is better than not.

investment in hardware is difficult (if one has no funds, since it definitely needs some) but if once has These, it returns more certainly since hardware is still mandatory to run Software (not the other way around) and not that easy to copy/reproduce/redistribute. this is probably the reason why it is so exciting to read about os4 hardware development adventures if one prefers this. i personally prefer to look up aros git for contributions to see whats beeing really worked on.,

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;750760
But why would anybody invest so much when the market is saturated with much much cheaper commodity hardware which would run AROS better?
It'd not be an investment, it'd be a donation.

please, not again this mantra.. wha does one need to explain just everything over and over.

you have an os4 system? if so, you are sure using some sort of rtg Card with it, maybe even some other pci Expansion commodity hardware. would you prefer all these hardware to be reinvented along with an incopmpatible bus system, let call ot "xorro" or "yorro". probably ypou would, maybe i would, but even your existing os4 system consists of said commodity chips just a little rearranged, which apparently does not bother you.

now, supporting existing commodity hardware is actually means to avoid investments in it, in order to be able to invest in software, which exactly might offer the said return. figures?