Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: flight sims fans, give your opinion !  (Read 3106 times)

Description:

Offline lionstormTopic starter

flight sims fans, give your opinion !
« on: July 31, 2003, 11:50:20 AM »
In your eyes what is your best flight sims on amiga (wings aside) with old aircrafts ? And bonus question which one is the best in head to head duel ? (=cpu vs cpu)
here is the games I remember :

B17 flying fortress
Dawn patrol
Knights of the sky
Operation overlord
Red Baron
Reach for the skies

Lio

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: flight sims fans, give your opinion !
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 11:55:36 AM »
F29 and F/A-18 were top bollox

but nothing beats that Shareware classic... Biplanes as available on serveral AmigaFormat Cover disks over the years....

Offline mepmepmep

• Show only replies by mepmepmep
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 01:38:55 PM »
Dogfight..

Offline Nick

• Show only replies by Nick
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 01:48:46 PM »
B17 Is my favourate. Could have been better, as the PC version had some cool features. Physics were a bit too simple for the actual flying, but as that was only part of the game it was just about acceptable. I would love to have B17 2 on the Amiga!

Dawn Patrol was OK. Not great graphics. Not played it much as I don`t own a copy. My brother does though.

Knights of the sky was my first flight sim. Loved that game. Played it way to much. Seem to remember getting around 100 kills on my first pilot. Silly, but cool intro too! I played it with 2 linked Amigas once. Not great as we lost each other straight away. I bet its great if we don`t lose each other.

Overlord was quite good, though I never actually played it that much. There was something about it which made it so I didn`t play it much. I`d love to play it now though! Doesn`t work on my system :-(

Don`t think I ever played the other 2. Not sure about Reach for the skies. Hmmmm

I have F16:Combat Pilot which was an excellent game. I have the C64 version too. Thats utter turd really, but the Amiga version was cool. VERY simple physics, but very cool. I had all my first cool flight sim related stuff happen in this game. This game could use a null MODEM cable, and isn`t that bad either.

Armourgeddon 2 was an excellent arcady flight sim. The best networkable (null) Amiga game in my opinion.

Tornado was an excellent sim. I`ve only just got it though, so it feels very old. I sooo wish i had that years ago! I`d have never done anything else. I would have had it if I had the hardware to run it. 68040 minimum.

Jetpilot was never really finished. Vulcan had plans for it, but they never happened. I have heard that they are making a modern PC version. Even though there isn`t much more than training to do, it had by far the best physics, control and probably graphics of any Amiga flight sim. I still can`t do that last mission to qualify on the English Electric Lightening!

I sooo wish (as I`ve said millions of times) that somebody would create/ port a new flight sim to the Amiga.

Offline nomore

• Show only replies by nomore
    • http://www.andboom.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 01:59:01 PM »
TFX on a fast system.

There was a game where you could choose between a lot of different planes. It's not Dogfight, it was way better. I wish I could remember.

F16 Combat Pilot was my favorite. I used to play it on my Amstrad CPC 464+, then when I got it for my Amiga, it was even better.

F117 was cool too.
Amiga A1200. Blizzard 1230 Mk IV 50MHz with FPU. 16MB RAM. Indivision AGA Mk II. 4GB IDE CF.

Software I make: http://www.andboom.com

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 01:59:13 PM »

Nick wrote:
B17 Is my favourate. Could have been better, as the PC version had some cool features. Physics were a bit too simple for the actual flying, but as that was only part of the game it was just about acceptable. I would love to have B17 2 on the Amiga!

Tornado was an excellent sim. I`ve only just got it though, so it feels very old. I sooo wish i had that years ago! I`d have never done anything else. I would have had it if I had the hardware to run it. 68040 minimum.

B17 has the nice feature that it wasn't "just a flight sim" it was a proper Bomber sim... not tried B17_2... will look out for it.

I had TornadoAGA... and ran it on my 030 50Mhz at about 5fps... got bored... too much detail, and not enough CPU time.

I really enjoyed AirBus A320... but it got boring after a while there are only so many ways you can take off, program the autopilot, and then setup the Autolanding system, Watch the computer fly from one air port to another and do the whole thing in real time...

Start game, take off... leave for 5 hours watch it land... good job!!! "Would you like to do it again?"... no thanks, I want to see what nasty crash I can think up...

Offline Mike_Amiga

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 02:43:26 PM »
Had a friend who liked "Birds of Prey" que Fatboy Slims tune. To complex for my tastes tho.

F/A 18 was about right for my skill level, but apart from that I din't really like them.

:pint: Cheers anyway! :pint:
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline Prmetime

• Show only replies by Prmetime
    • http://home.sprintmail.com/~prmetime
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 04:11:18 PM »
What about Fighter Duel Pro?  Fantastic game.  It was somewhat hard to fly with the joystick I had since the pitch control was off but it was quite realistic. What more could you ask for?

Offline Glorix

• Show only replies by Glorix
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 04:30:07 PM »
I quite fondly remember a game, not really a flight sim, in which you flew wire-framed planes (amongst which a paper plane). It was one-windowed multiplayer, and you could dogfight the others with various weapons amongst which a boing-ball :-)

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2003, 05:03:00 PM »
Falcon 1.0 was my favourite Amiga flight sim.

F-19 stealth fighter 2 was good as well.

Offline AntonioX

• Show only replies by AntonioX
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2003, 06:55:43 PM »
The best amiga flight sim by far was TFX, I played them all but TFX was the best, its the only Flight Sim I still play on my Amiga
 :-D

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2003, 07:10:52 PM »

AntonioX wrote:
The best amiga flight sim by far was TFX, I played them all but TFX was the best, its the only Flight Sim I still play on my Amiga
 :-D

I thought TFX never got released?!?!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2003, 07:56:00 PM »

Offline Nick

• Show only replies by Nick
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2003, 09:04:20 PM »
Hehe I forgot TFX. Good graphics yeah. Best on the Amiga, by far. VERY buggy. The F117 in that game could do some strange things at times. :-) TFX was quite simple though. I mean, I landed the F22 on an aircraft carrier (which by the way is not possible, as the F22 is land based :-)) on my first attempt. Correct me if I`m wrong, but thats no much of a challenge! I`ve got Approach Trainer, which is basically A320. Doesn`t work on any of my system for some reason. Well when it works I have to press fire on my joypad to make it advance each frame. WEIRD! I always wanted that game! Looks good. For back then at least.

I want a complicated flightsim. Doesn`t have to be modern jets. I`d love a really good WWII or 60/70s jet, flightsim. Saying that a modern day jet/helicopter one would be just as good. WWI is too simple, unless the planes are as challanging to fly as the real things. If there is no challange to a flightsim it really isn`t much of a simulation. Thats why Jetpilot is probably the best flightsim on the Amiga, even if there isn`t much game to play. The actual flying is the most realistic.

@bloodline

TFX was more thrown at the public, than released, but yeah you can get it. CU Amiga Magazine put it on one of their cover CDs.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2003, 09:08:30 PM »

Nick wrote:
Hehe I forgot TFX. Good graphics yeah. Best on the Amiga, by far. VERY buggy. The F117 in that game could do some strange things at times. :-) TFX was quite simple though. I mean, I landed the F22 on an aircraft carrier (which by the way is not possible, as the F22 is land based :-)) on my first attempt. Correct me if I`m wrong, but thats no much of a challenge! I`ve got Approach Trainer, which is basically A320. Doesn`t work on any of my system for some reason. Well when it works I have to press fire on my joypad to make it advance each frame. WEIRD! I always wanted that game! Looks good. For back then at least.

I want a complicated flightsim. Doesn`t have to be modern jets. I`d love a really good WWII or 60/70s jet, flightsim. Saying that a modern day jet/helicopter one would be just as good. WWI is too simple, unless the planes are as challanging to fly as the real things. If there is no challange to a flightsim it really isn`t much of a simulation. Thats why Jetpilot is probably the best flightsim on the Amiga, even if there isn`t much game to play. The actual flying is the most realistic.

I started writing an Avro Vulcan B2 Flight sim... but never finnished it... it got too complex  :-(