Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: flight sims fans, give your opinion !  (Read 3166 times)

Description:

Offline Nick

• Show all replies
Re: flight sims fans, give your opinion !
« on: July 31, 2003, 01:48:46 PM »
B17 Is my favourate. Could have been better, as the PC version had some cool features. Physics were a bit too simple for the actual flying, but as that was only part of the game it was just about acceptable. I would love to have B17 2 on the Amiga!

Dawn Patrol was OK. Not great graphics. Not played it much as I don`t own a copy. My brother does though.

Knights of the sky was my first flight sim. Loved that game. Played it way to much. Seem to remember getting around 100 kills on my first pilot. Silly, but cool intro too! I played it with 2 linked Amigas once. Not great as we lost each other straight away. I bet its great if we don`t lose each other.

Overlord was quite good, though I never actually played it that much. There was something about it which made it so I didn`t play it much. I`d love to play it now though! Doesn`t work on my system :-(

Don`t think I ever played the other 2. Not sure about Reach for the skies. Hmmmm

I have F16:Combat Pilot which was an excellent game. I have the C64 version too. Thats utter turd really, but the Amiga version was cool. VERY simple physics, but very cool. I had all my first cool flight sim related stuff happen in this game. This game could use a null MODEM cable, and isn`t that bad either.

Armourgeddon 2 was an excellent arcady flight sim. The best networkable (null) Amiga game in my opinion.

Tornado was an excellent sim. I`ve only just got it though, so it feels very old. I sooo wish i had that years ago! I`d have never done anything else. I would have had it if I had the hardware to run it. 68040 minimum.

Jetpilot was never really finished. Vulcan had plans for it, but they never happened. I have heard that they are making a modern PC version. Even though there isn`t much more than training to do, it had by far the best physics, control and probably graphics of any Amiga flight sim. I still can`t do that last mission to qualify on the English Electric Lightening!

I sooo wish (as I`ve said millions of times) that somebody would create/ port a new flight sim to the Amiga.

Offline Nick

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 09:04:20 PM »
Hehe I forgot TFX. Good graphics yeah. Best on the Amiga, by far. VERY buggy. The F117 in that game could do some strange things at times. :-) TFX was quite simple though. I mean, I landed the F22 on an aircraft carrier (which by the way is not possible, as the F22 is land based :-)) on my first attempt. Correct me if I`m wrong, but thats no much of a challenge! I`ve got Approach Trainer, which is basically A320. Doesn`t work on any of my system for some reason. Well when it works I have to press fire on my joypad to make it advance each frame. WEIRD! I always wanted that game! Looks good. For back then at least.

I want a complicated flightsim. Doesn`t have to be modern jets. I`d love a really good WWII or 60/70s jet, flightsim. Saying that a modern day jet/helicopter one would be just as good. WWI is too simple, unless the planes are as challanging to fly as the real things. If there is no challange to a flightsim it really isn`t much of a simulation. Thats why Jetpilot is probably the best flightsim on the Amiga, even if there isn`t much game to play. The actual flying is the most realistic.

@bloodline

TFX was more thrown at the public, than released, but yeah you can get it. CU Amiga Magazine put it on one of their cover CDs.

Offline Nick

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 09:32:40 PM »
F/A-18 was the first flightsim I ever saw....I think. It was on my next door nieghbour`s A500. I borrowed it, but could only get it to work once :-(. I seem to remember it had a cardbord thing, for copy protection and it only worked once for me. Looked quite good, from what I saw (if it was F18 that is).

Somebody mentioned Bird of prey. I had that years ago on my A500+. "Good in theory", describes that game. Pretty damn turd. Loads of planes to choose from and pretty good weapons selection too. Bad control system though. Never managed to do that much in that game.

Offline Nick

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 04:08:20 PM »
I wish there were enough people to get together to create a bloody good flight sim. I`d like to fly the planes I want. The Vulcan, YF-23, B-29, Lancaster, B-1b, B-2, A-10, B-52, Raytheon Starship 1, Beaufighter, Dornier 335....the list goes on. I want! :cry: All of these would be possible in the Microsoft sim (probably). :-(

Stupid reality!

Offline Nick

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 07:23:40 PM »
The VERY first flight sim I ever played was Gunship on the C64. I loved that game. I had forgotton all about that. DOn`t asks me how, was it is on the top of my pile of Amiga games, in the corner of the room :-) I have played Gunship2000 in the past. I was a bit disspointed. Quite unrealistic in many ways. I do own Coala though. Even though when I install it I always put it under the Flight sim heading, I wouldn`t say it is a true sim. An arcade flight sim maybe.

I don`t know why I didn`t think of any of the helicopter flight sims. I don`t know why people treat helicopters as something which doesn`t come under the heading "aircraft" :-) Plane, helicopters....both capable of flight :-) So in theory they both would be flown in flight sims. :-D

@Lempkee

Hehe Jetstrike isn`t a sim. Very good, but not a sim. (though you didn`t say it was..I know :-)).