Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows is buggy and slow lets buy a Mac  (Read 13742 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Windows is buggy and slow lets buy a Mac
« on: February 09, 2010, 03:53:22 PM »
When Windows 95 came out, it's strong selling points were plug and play and ease of use. It impressed gamers because you didn't have to fiddle with DOS anymore.
Microsoft has gone daft, putting in more and more bloat. The OS is more of a whiz bang application than an operating system. The fact that you automatically buy Windows with any name brand PC or laptop means M$ can sit back and contentedly rake in money. That automatic bundling is really bad for non-sheeple consumers.

Gamers will simply abandon the Wintel PC and they have been. That is a fairly big chunk of business.
I can see innovation has ground to a halt, ty M$.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline tone007

Re: Windows is buggy and slow lets buy a Mac
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 03:57:25 PM »
Can I offer you some cheese to go with your whine?
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 04:11:35 PM »
He's right though. Nothing useful came after about windows 2000. Personally i'll run xp untill I can't find used hardware that can run it easily, or web browsers drop support with no hack to get them going again.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »
Quote from: Fanscale;542219
Gamers will simply abandon the Wintel PC and they have been. That is a fairly big chunk of business.
I can see innovation has ground to a halt, ty M$.

MS doesn't really make a huge amount out of selling windows to gamers, the amount is wholly insignificant compared to the money it makes selling it to corporate customers.

I've seen the cost of windows licenses for where I work alone and that's a relatively small company.

Besides, if you want a new PC and don't want windows pre-installed, assert this at the point of sale. Theoretically you are entitled to a discount if you get the basic system without the OS.
int p; // A

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 04:59:08 PM »
Yes... windows can be buggy, slow... (at least some configs with xp runs fine and ppl talks good about windows 7) but why mac? I dont understand this fever, its the same hardware that a pc but more expensive, you can use hackintosh if you want to test the boring osx.

PS: Im not a windows fan.
a1200 060

Offline Hell Labs

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
I wouldn't call osx boring. it's a pretty clean and polished system, and if you have a beard, it's got unix stuff too.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 05:18:20 PM »
Quote from: Hell Labs;542242
I wouldn't call osx boring. it's a pretty clean and polished system, and if you have a beard, it's got unix stuff too.

I have MacOS X (Tiger) for some months now, and it is really boring.
I am not Windows, neither Microsoft fan, but give me XP over MacOS X anytime.
Also I have the feeling that on my Pentium II 500 MHz Windows XP performed better than MacOS X on 667 MHz G4. So probably on same hardware XP will perform better than MacOS X.
MacOS X is updated, oh well, but I can not try Snow Leopard because I am with PPC machine.

Offline Hell Labs

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 05:28:26 PM »
Your G4 is broken if that performance is accurate. It alway ran a lot faster than that for me, even on a g3 400. Though any modern office suite like open office 3 was unusable.

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 05:39:56 PM »
What exactly does it mean when say an OS is "boring"? :)
I've always thought it is an advantage when the OS doesn't get in your way when you're working.

BTW, I'm using Tiger on the first Icebook 500MHz G3 and it is pretty slow. It's quite interesting that you don't actually see the slowness - all the animations, transitions etc. are smooth, but you wait a lot on apps startup etc.
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

Offline beller

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by beller
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 06:05:28 PM »
I'll take boring any day....much better than, oh cr#p my hdrive has been taken over by aliens from mars!  Seriously, I've used OSX since it was beta, I have XP on a couple of machines.  The key to OSX performance is matching the version to the hardware. I'm using 10.5 on a twin G4 1.8 MHz and its adequate.  On a G3 the performance would decrease significantly.  I'm using 10.6 on Intel MacBooks and a Mini and it runs great. Like the Amiga, the Mac OS is built for the hardware.  To get integration on a Windows machine you need to add multiple drivers increasing the complexity of the system.  Complex systems, by their nature, are more difficult to control.

No virus to speak of, rarely crashes and if it does it has a system built back-up called Time Machine.  Thanks but I'll take boring in my system and exciting in the software I want to run on the system.  

I came back to Commodore computers to find some excitement in my computing.  For work related computing I'll stick to boring systems with solid hardware....Mac!

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 06:07:35 PM »
Quote from: koshman;542250
What exactly does it mean when say an OS is "boring"? :)
I've always thought it is an advantage when the OS doesn't get in your way when you're working.
An OS is boring if it does not go 'wwwooeesh!!!'
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 09:48:22 PM »
Lets change the word "boring" for "all applications, emulation, freeware of windows vs osx" sentence, if you want to use email, facebook or other social pages, message programs maybe is enough.

Everytime people talks about osx says about viruses, trojans, worms... ok, if osx was used by the same number of people would have the same number of virus at least, by the way if you are carefully is enought.
a1200 060

Offline Hell Labs

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 10:31:58 PM »
Uhh... no. Windows has so many security holes it leaks like a sieve, and some of them are tied to fundamental parts of the os that would be very hard to change. These problems aren't there in other modern oses.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 10:54:36 PM »
When me friend and I get our business going, we will use UNIX/Linux for server environment and AOS for client.. Maybe AOS for server as well depends on the availability of apache and MySQL.

Offline tone007

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 10:58:28 PM »
Mac is lame and Windows ROOLS hahahaa!  Mac is for n00blets!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever