Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Passing of CUSA Founder Barry Altman  (Read 6805 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: Passing of CUSA Founder Barry Altman
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 17, 2013, 01:08:41 AM »
Quote from: djos;722831
Why?

I can't be the only one finding some peoples poorly hidden "interest" in the subject slightly repulsive (especially given their posting history on closely related subjects here and on other sites), and since the message is already out now, I'd say the thread has served its purpose and should be closed.

That's why.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 01:11:31 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;722833
I can't be the only one finding some peoples poorly hidden "interest" in the subject slightly repulsive (especially given their posting history on closely related subjects here and on other sites), and since the message is already out now, I'd say the thread has served its purpose and should be closed.

That's why.

Ah, so you're trolling.  I guess you'll use any excuse to do that.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 01:16:51 AM »
So, what is the verdict?
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2013, 01:24:33 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;722834
Ah, so you're trolling.  I guess you'll use any excuse to do that.

:rolleyes:

(Should one laugh or cry at a post like that?)

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 01:27:33 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;722838
:rolleyes:

(Should one laugh or cry at a post like that?)

What makes you think anyone cares what you do?  Take this to PM unless you're hell bent on polluting this thread with your personal agenda.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:20:42 AM by eliyahu »
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline eliyahuTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 01:38:47 AM »
@TMHG

i understand your concern, but for the moment, i think it would be reasonable to allow folks to offer their condolences, or discuss what the future of CUSA might be now that barry has left us, etc. so far no one has objected besides yourself, but, if things get out of hand, i won't hesitate to moderate the thread.

@everyone else

guys: let's remember the subject here. i know some members have a history with one another, but surely this isn't the thread for it. if you feel someone is trolling or getting personal, the best thing is not to feed into it. you can always PM me or one of the mods, and we'd be happy to take up the issue. thanks!

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 01:40:35 AM »
Well, if Barry really has passed on, things could get worse.
What if the Amiga trademark reverts to Bill?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline eliyahuTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 01:45:57 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;722844
Well, if Barry really has passed on, things could get worse.
What if the Amiga trademark reverts to Bill?
i guess it depends on if CUSA continues as a going concern. i don't know how ownership for CUSA was set up, but assuming it was wholly owned by barry, and his estate wished to continue operating the business, then i assume everything remains status quo.

on the other hand if this means CUSA is to close in the near term, then presumably the agreement would have the trademark(s) return to amiga, inc., upon dissolution of CUSA. it really depends on whether CUSA stays open and what is in the license agreement between the parties. i guess no one can answer that except the family and/or leo.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 01:50:26 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;722845
i guess it depends on if CUSA continues as a going concern. i don't know how ownership for CUSA was set up, but assuming it was wholly owned by barry, and his estate wished to continue operating the business, then i assume everything remains status quo.

on the other hand if this means CUSA is to close in the near term, then presumably the agreement would have the trademark(s) return to amiga, inc., upon dissolution of CUSA. it really depends on whether CUSA stays open and what is in the license agreement between the parties. i guess no one can answer that except the family and/or leo.

-- eliyahu

Which probably explains why Leo hasn't announced anything so far.  He's probably wondering the same things and I'm sure Barry's family wan't some time to themselves before they start looking through the books to see what's what.

Offline Blizz1220

• Show only replies by Blizz1220
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 02:07:22 AM »
               Barry s. Altman (1949 - 2012)             

We are saddened by the loss of Barry S. Altman (founder of  Commodore USA and designer of the C64x), who died on December 8, 2012  after a courageous, year long, battle with cancer. His passion for  Commodore, his optimism and can-do attitude were infectious. He will be  remembered as a man of depth, warmth and intelligence and we are  privileged to have known him. Our condolences and best wishes go out to  his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

At the request of his family, the news of his death was not announced to our internet following at the time.                   

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 02:12:18 AM »
This post has been removed for violating site TOS, specifically:
  • No trolling.
    Don't make posts that are inflammatory just to get people angry. Substance is the key to not being labeled a troll.

• Blatant personal attacks are not permitted.
    Criticize  ideas, not people. Excessive flaming will not be tolerated. Users who  verbally assault the character or person of other posters on a regular  basis will be banned. Name calling is best left to grade school.  Moderator's judgment applies here. "You are wrong" is not a personal  attack; "You are an idiot" is. "You do not have all of the facts" is not  a personal attack; "you are obviously clueless" is. These are  generalized examples, but you get the idea.

Please make certain to review the site's posting guidelines and moderation policy. Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 03:48:09 AM by eliyahu »

Offline Blizz1220

• Show only replies by Blizz1220
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 02:20:37 AM »
@takemehomegrandma

Moderators response was swift and adequate.Thread name was changed and comments that could be taken the wrong way were removed.

I also think that thread should be used for offering condolences and then closed.

Future of CUSA and trademarks can be discussed in another thread.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:25:13 AM by Blizz1220 »

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 02:45:51 AM »
Quote from: Blizz1220;722853
@takemehomegrandma

Moderators response was swift and adequate.Thread name was changed and comments that could be taken the wrong way were removed.

I also think that thread should be used for offering condolences and then closed.

Future of CUSA and trademarks can be discussed in another thread.

Moderators response is non-existent (other than removing a post from *me* that can now be read on moobunny instead). The thread is still open, the sad things are allowed to continue, and by this Amiga.org has lowered its moral standard and decency to a new record low.

:(

I'm sure Darrin has much more to say, so go ahead...

(Signing off)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 02:55:24 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;722859
and by this Amiga.org has lowered its moral standard and decency to a new record low.
Are you kidding me? By Aorg standards this thread is comically respectful. If you don't like that not everybody is pretending that they never had any differences with the man just because he died (sad as it was,) well, we can either be honest but respectful, or engage in faked fawning. Which would you prefer, really?

(Besides, this thread hasn't even touched the inappropriacy of some of the things Barry himself said to people on this forum.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 03:10:00 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;722859
Moderators response is non-existent (other than removing a post from *me* that can now be read on moobunny instead). The thread is still open, the sad things are allowed to continue, and by this Amiga.org has lowered its moral standard and decency to a new record low.

I may not have agreed with his views on how things should be done. I might not have liked the way certain things played out across various threads on this and other forums. However that doesn't mean that I should not give my condolences when someone dies. At the end of the day a person has died of an horrific illness and the respectful thing to do is to offer condolences and leave it at that.

I think this thread shows that most of us are able to put our differences to one side and give our respect to Barry.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 03:10:05 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;722833

That's why.

You are absolutely right. Some of the behavoir of people here and elsewhere in the amiga world has been down right embarassing in regards to commodore and Barry. Imagine this poor guy trying to do something he though was cool or fun, and to get abused and ridiculed by losers on the internet doing nothing. I mean the poor guy was probably sick with cancer and still getting abused at every turn. The rabid fanboyism has to stop. Alot of posters here need a REAL LIFE OFF OF THE INTERNET.

Rest in peace Barry I never knew  you but I respected your vision.

Even in this thread it seems people care more about trademarks and business than wishing the man a peaceful rest. Amazing.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs