Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New book on classic Amiga programming  (Read 12161 times)

Description:

Offline Minuous

Re: New book on classic Amiga programming
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 22, 2020, 07:05:20 AM »
And what guarantees are there that what you write here is really correct?

Why wouldn't it be correct? I'm on the team so am in a position to know. But it is fine if you don't want to believe me, I don't care.

Or you can just write that book yourself already?

Why ask a question if you are not going to believe the answer? Just to troll, I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 07:06:25 AM by Minuous »

The following users thanked this post: NinjaCyborg

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 08:05:52 AM »
Ordered. Thanks.
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline kolla

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 11:17:19 AM »
And what guarantees are there that what you write here is really correct?
Why wouldn't it be correct? I'm on the team so am in a position to know.
Because you write "the fundamentals of ReAction will continue to be the same; anything for OS3.9 ReAction should continue to work much the same as before"

You are safeguarding your own statements here (bolded), implying that there are no guarantees, and you have already made it clear in other posts elsewhere that there are components that may or may not be considered part of the "ReAction package" that you do not have access to.

So putting time and resources into writing a new book about these things, while it still is unclear and unknown exactly what will come with OS 3.2 onwards - remains rather pointless at this point.

Or you can just write that book yourself already?

Why ask a question if you are not going to believe the answer? Just to troll, I suppose.

No - you were the one claiming that this book seems rather pointless since the one thing you care about isn't covered. I suspect that the only person who could write such a book to your satisfaction, is yourself.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Minuous

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 02:35:58 PM »
No - you were the one claiming that this book seems rather pointless since the one thing you care about isn't covered.

I was speaking more generally about the full set of enhancements in eg. OS3.5 and 3.9.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:36:41 PM by Minuous »

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 08:16:50 PM »
My copy was printed in Poland and shows no signs of bad quality, besides being a paperback. The paper is white and it is good to read. The only thing i dislike are some special opcode examples in the assembler section that supposed to be in some sort of colour but instead they appear in lightgrey (on white paper). ::)
Already mentioned is the scope of the book which can never be a RKRM replacement; it is an introduction with a wide variety of topics which will never fully addressed. It is informative, IMHO. You certainly don't really need it, with all the online resources and RKRMs in PDF format, but it is a nice to have as it is a new book.

I bought it just because I want anyone putting in effort to make new Amiga content be rewarded. It's fine as an overview of programming on the Amiga including the tools one has to use in 2020, if programming on an Amiga itself anyway. But there's nothing in it that isn't in the old OS 2 / 3 documentation so I hope at least he does a volume 2.

Also the print quality was awful with weird chemical blotches on the sandpaper it was printed on.

The following users thanked this post: Tygre

Offline OldAmigan

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2020, 11:18:08 PM »
@thread

Well I've bought it to show support and maybe learn a little but I don't realistically see me programming very much.
Ya never know though

Offline hishamkTopic starter

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2021, 10:36:43 AM »
The author of the book has released another one, this time focused on bare-metal programming:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bare-Metal-Amiga-Programming-OCS-ECS/dp/B09GJQ3SF6
2x A1000, 2x A2000, 1x A3000, 4x A1200, 3x A500, 1x CDTV, 1x CD32, 2x Pegasos II, 1x EFIKA

Offline NinjaCyborg

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2021, 11:23:05 AM »
Well I hoped he'd make a volume 2 but not on this topic LOL. I'd buy it, but my copy of the first volume disintegrated, it was extremely poor quality print. I'd happily buy an ebook version though.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2021, 02:42:02 PM »
Thanks just ordering them both now,  hope print quality is not as bad as some suggests. 

Guess I can always return them if they are.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2021, 04:46:18 PM »
Good luck. Amazon prints those books on demand close to your location. So you might get better quality by ordering more copies. ;D

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2021, 04:12:21 PM »
Both books just turned up and the print quality is fine.

Not highest quality paper ever, but also nothing wrong with it either.

No issues with quality of ink or staining on paper.

Looking forwards to reading them
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline AmigaBruno

• Show only replies by AmigaBruno
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2022, 03:57:56 AM »
It sounds great! I bought the ROM Kernal Manuals in 1989-1990, but never really understood them. Any simpler version is welcome. I was very upset to find out that I needed the official Commodore Amiga library .h files to program anything except text only programs. I think these files should obviously have been included on floppy disks inside these books. I didn't see any way of getting them except by buying an expensive Lattice C or Manx/Aztec C compiler, so that was the end of my plans to program in C on the Amiga, because I didn't think I could type all the files in myself from the Includes & Autodocs manual without any errors, although I heard someone actually did that. 

I'm seriously considering buying this book, but I found a hidden gem a few days ago which I'm in the middle of reading. I'm multilingual, but my native language is English. This book is the German language "AMIGA-Programmier-Handbuch: Für Amiga 500, 1000 und 2000". This seems to be all in C. It was written in 1987, so is based around Workbench 1.2, but don't forget that all applications for early versions of Amiga Workbench work on later versions, so long as you follow the official guidelines. This book contains details of...

"Die Screen- und Window-Bibliotheken/The Screen and Window Libraries
Die Zeichen- und Textbefehle/The drawing and text commands
Hardware-Sprites und Animation/Hardware sprites and animation
Aufbau und Abfrage von Menüs/Building and using menus
Gadgets/Gadgets
Mitteilung von System-Meldungen/Notification of System messages
DOS-Funktionen in eigenen Programmen/DOS functions in your own programs
Druckerausgabe/Printer output
Befehle zur Sprachein- und -ausgabe/Speech input and output commands"

There's also a follow up book!

You can find this first book on...

https://www.kultmags.com/books.php?folder=QU1JR0EgUHJvZ3JhbW1pZXItSGFuZGJ1Y2g=

I don't really like the Amigas which natively run Amiga OS4 because they're too expensive and don't look or feel much like the Classic Amigas either.