Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should Dragging Video Windows be so sluggish?  (Read 1963 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Should Dragging Video Windows be so sluggish?
« on: October 19, 2010, 01:00:12 AM »
I put the latest install of MorphOS on my eMac, and I've noticed that when I'm playing a video and try to resize the window, that my whole system begins to lag until I stop resizing the window. It's as if I'm trying to play videos on a 500Mhz AMD system with 128Mb or RAM.

And yes I've tried high and low quality videos, the results are always the same.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline tone007

Re: Should Dragging Video Windows be so sluggish?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »
...It's only a G4!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 03:55:17 AM »
1.25Ghz at that. I've got crappy PC machines that can do better than that, and they are not near as fast.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 04:10:21 AM »
It's probably due to a combination of limited video RAM, (lack of?) overlay, and enhanced layers.

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 04:12:16 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;585610
I put the latest install of MorphOS on my eMac, and I've noticed that when I'm playing a video and try to resize the window, that my whole system begins to lag until I stop resizing the window. It's as if I'm trying to play videos on a 500Mhz AMD system with 128Mb or RAM.

And yes I've tried high and low quality videos, the results are always the same.

First, I assume you mean moving or resizing a MPlayer window.

Since it's totally smooth here, I think it just means you're almost out of video ram when it happens (you have 32MB video ram?). MPlayer itself allocates video ram for the overlay surface, so when you're out of vmem, it can get really slow.

So, if you didn't already, i strongly suggest you disable enhanced mode for the related screen. Also tell us what kind of screen resolution you use.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:33:10 AM »
Thankx Fab: Went Retro and disable Enhanced Mode, now things seem a bit  better with Mplayer, though I'm not quite sure how exactly to get my resolution to 800x600. Screen Prefs don't work quite like they do on a real Amiga and when ever I try to change the resolution the screen flickers, but everything looks the same...