Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Announcement: Technical data of the new Catweasel MK4 controller  (Read 5536 times)

Description:

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
Re: Announcement: Technical data of the new Catweasel MK4 co
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 20, 2004, 05:32:12 PM »
Poster: Wayne  Posted: 2004/7/20 10:38:19

It's simple economics and the fact that you want to whine and {bleep} because he doesn't support your chosen platform is irrelevant as well as extremely childish.

Is it childishness or Scortched Earth operation?  I fear it's a combination of the two.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2004, 05:41:44 PM »
Here's my 2cent...

I own a Mediator board and I would love for it to be supported but I somewhat understand how Elbox work (I't just as with wimen... you won't ever understand em compleatly) and I understand that it prevent Jens from supporting that platform so instead of complaining about it I'll accept it and just settle for a MK3 if I desperatly need those features.

As said before... Jens don't have a Peg and so to be able to support that platform he will first have to buy one... a small fee to motivate this is in order I think. With new projects the fee would probably lessen untill the hardware was payed for and you would also get free drivers for your platform. This is not a multinational billion dollar industry but a oneman pashion to support our platform and the old "stuff" we associate with it.

Namecalling and childish behaviour won't ever make you reach your goal... especialy when you do it to someone you expect later to do something for free... even spend his own money on you.

I laugh at the claim 70% is gone if MOS isn't supported... the big market is Windows and there goes your 80% or so... the last 20% is A1, MOS, Classic etc.

So clean up your act or crawl back under that ANN rock you came from. :pissed:

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2004, 05:56:32 PM »
Wayne wrote:
It's Jens' product, and he can do what he wants with it.

Of course, but one can also advise people not to buy it because he's so childish, that's well within our rights too, no?

Not that it really matters - I suppose a self-done CW driver would be better than any of the very poor official ones...

Offline tjaoz

• Show only replies by tjaoz
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2004, 06:22:56 PM »
@Brian

In my opinion problems with Catweasel drivers prove only that Jens is childish and very unprofessional person.

As far as Mediator drivers are concerned the only problem was that Jens refused to sign NDA with Elbox. Jens has not decided to sign this NDA declaring lack of sufficient knowledge of his lawyer on international agreements of this type. Signing an NDA document was the only condition for Jens to receive Mediator SDK documentation free of charge.

See the quoted Elbox post on the Mediator ML    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Amiga-Mediator/message/15765

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2004, 06:42:07 PM »
Of course, but one can also advise people not to buy it because he's so childish, that's well within our rights too, no?

No.  You can't, and no it is not within your "rights" to libel another person based on your personal opinion.  

Your opinion of whether Jens is "childish" is irrelevant.  The FACT is that you're simply pissed off because he made the economic choice that in order to pay for the hardware required, he would need to charge for drivers.  Nothing more, and for you to sit here and argue semantics make you look even more transparently silly than you already do.

"Jens isn't giving me something for free for a platform he doesn't own, so he's being childish"  Don't you realize how stupid that sounds?

Simply stated, you are wrong.  If I were Jens, I simply wouldn't have mentioned MorphOS in the press release, then you'd have nothing to cry over, but then again, you've never been short of any subject to cry over.  

As a matter of fact, if I were Jens, based on the actions of MorphOS zealots like you, I wouldn't support MorphOS or the Pegasos at all.  

All you've done is given potential developers reason to think twice about supporting a bunch of childish zealots and a platform with little chance of actual sales.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2004, 07:03:15 PM »
In my opinion problems with Catweasel drivers prove only that Jens is childish and very unprofessional person.

Now there's an earth shattering shock :lol:
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2004, 07:12:26 PM »
Wayne, it is not about drivers. It is about how Jens Schönfeld is in person and way he handles MorphOS customers.

BBRV was not nice to Schönfeld and Schönfeld was not nice to MorphOS users. Schönfeld can't expect respect from others if he is an {bleep}.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline KennyR

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2004, 07:28:27 PM »
Wayne wrote:
Your opinion of whether Jens is "childish" is irrelevant. The FACT is that you're simply pissed off because he made the economic choice that in order to pay for the hardware required, he would need to charge for drivers.

Doesn't look like an economic choice from where I'm sitting, Wayne, or OS4 would be an even less attractive option than MOS. Maybe you should try looking harder through Schönfeld's sophistry and at some of the other times he's been accused of childishness in the past before blindly writing this one off as camp-against-camp fighting.

Offline KennyR

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2004, 07:32:41 PM »
@itix

The problem isn't just with MorphOS users. Schönfeld has being doing this to customers before the Pegasos was even available.

Offline System

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2004, 07:33:02 PM »
BBRV was not nice to Schönfeld and Schönfeld was not nice to MorphOS users. Schönfeld can't expect respect from others if he is an {bleep}.
I have nothing against MorphOS users.  I would even classify my feelings towards them (as a whole) as completely apathetic.  

However, this is not about Jens, this is yet another gorilla attack by CERTAIN MorphOS users who are displeased that Jens chooses not to donate more of his money to Genesi in order to write free drivers for the Pegasos.  Nothing more.  

Based on some of the comments I've read, I don't blame Jens at all if he decided to never support the Pegasos.  There are ways to convince someone to support a platform, and calling them childish (and worse) names is the exact WRONG way to do it.

If it were really a concern to MorphOS, BBRV would have sent Jens a Pegasos for the express purposes of writing a driver.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2004, 07:35:04 PM »
Poster: itix  Posted: 2004/7/20 14:12:26

Wayne, it is not about drivers. It is about how Jens Schönfeld is in person and way he handles MorphOS customers.

Let's see here, evidently he got screwed by Genesi and he is not happy.  He at first offered, for a price, to support the customers of the company that screwed him.  Sounds reasonable to me. Now that he's been roasted, he's withdrawling any offer of support.  Would an outsider blame him for doing so?

The one of a very few third party Developers that develope anything for the Amiga Community gets insulted and flamed on major (well for Amiga Community atleast;) message boards, called names and his work libeled.  This is just for him in considering support MOS and you critize him for getting upset?   :-?

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline System

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2004, 07:36:13 PM »
Doesn't look like an economic choice from where I'm sitting, Wayne, or OS4 would be an even less attractive option than MOS. Maybe you should try looking harder through Schönfeld's sophistry and at some of the other times he's been accused of childishness in the past before blindly writing this one off as camp-against-camp fighting.
Considering my experiences with BBRV, I'm very well aware of how Jens MIGHT feel, and you know what?  If that's the case, I fully understand and support his choice.  I do not have any proof of that however, and neither do you.

Attitudes like yours is exactly why it's very hard to support the Amiga community, no matter which "side" you're on.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2004, 07:57:52 PM »
It is okay that he doesn't supply MorphOS drivers. I would not mind if he blows up Bill's car. It just is not ok when he treats MorphOS users like he would treat Bill Buck.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline System

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2004, 08:05:25 PM »
It is okay that he doesn't supply MorphOS drivers. I would not mind if he blows up Bill's car. It just is not ok when he treats MorphOS users like he would treat Bill Buck.
Judging by some of the attitudes I've seen regarding this subject, some MorphOS users deserve it.

Offline FuZion

• Show only replies by FuZion
    • http://www.deceptiveaudio.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2004, 08:51:00 PM »
This is a problem in OS4, in one of the pattern parsing functions. It's already worked around and will be fixed for the next release. *

Kool, I look forward to it

You won't be able to use transparency though, not unless P96 emulates CGX5 transparency calls...

Nice as the transparency is, the functionality is the main thing for me (Well... For now ;-))

(* - It would be even nicer if you could convince Hyperion to fix the problem routine, though.)

I'll see what I can do next time we're in the pub ;-)

Yup, I'm looking forward to the latest version. Got an ETA? "When It's Done" for example :-D

FuZion.

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2004, 09:51:56 PM »
One OpenPCI version of the driver would cover MOS, Amithlon and Amiga Classic PCI all in one go, and probably OS4 later too. I can't see why Jens doesn't go this route.

Speaking of alienating: OpenPCI was supposed to become the standard PCI solution under AmigaOS 4.0 until such time as they got G-REX support, at which time OS 4 support was suddenly no longer possible. From what I've heard (*) OpenPCI G-REX support was tied to the condition that no OS 4 version would emerge.

Go figure.

(*) Footnote: From what I heard. I am not saying it is so or the other way, to keep the blood pressure of the flame throwers low. If it is true or not I don't know, but I find it strange nonetheless.
Look out, I\'ve got a gun