Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS noob. School me!  (Read 27036 times)

Description:

Offline HeiroglyphTopic starter

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
Re: MorphOS noob. School me!
« Reply #59 from previous page: September 29, 2014, 04:01:19 AM »
Quote from: Nicho;774141
Thanks. The project functionality should work fine for more complex makefiles as well but it obviously depends on you having makefiles in the first place :-). For some users it would obviously be good to provide an alternative of fully integrated project management like in IDEs on other platforms but it's not something I have a lot of motivation to do (I wouldn't use it myself basically).

By the way, the big feature for the next version (besided loads of smaller things here and there) will be extensive support for Lua scripts and automatic script recording.

I guess I was writing my reply when you wrote this, I just noticed it.

The longer I use it, the more I appreciate all the little touches.  Great work.

Offline pVC

« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2014, 07:30:44 AM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;774142
Holy crap, who right clicks on a depth gadget?

Long left click works by default too, IIRC. Which at least can be found by accident too ;)

But as said, RMB usage has been extended to quite a many places and I think it's quite handy to have more all kinds of functionality available within the context. You can RMB over files, Ambient window titlebar, window and screen gadgets, parent button, filerequesters etc.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:58:17 AM by pVC »
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »
Quote from: Nicho;774141
By the way, the big feature for the next version (besided loads of smaller things here and there) will be extensive support for Lua scripts and automatic script recording.

Yay!  I just started playing around with Lua recently and am really enjoying it, this will be a very nice feature indeed. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Online krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;774160
Yay!  I just started playing around with Lua recently and am really enjoying it, this will be a very nice feature indeed. :)
MorphOS has nicely integrated Lua port with ARexx bridge (so one can send ARexx commands to applications from Lua).

Offline trekiej

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2014, 03:49:02 AM »
I hope the original poster does not mind if I ask a question.
I am thinking of getting a G4/G5 for MorphOS.
What are your recomendations?
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline HeiroglyphTopic starter

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2014, 06:45:48 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;774554
I hope the original poster does not mind if I ask a question.

I don't mind at all.

This is my first MorphOS machine, so I don't have a point of reference to help much though.

I got an air cooled G5 Power Mac, but I've heard that the cooling systems on the water cooled faster models either prematurely fails by leaking or the CPUs just plain burn out if it doesn't.

I can't say mine feels as fast as I'd like it to be though. Web browsing in OWB for example could use some more oomph. It's sluggish, but still far better than Linux on the same hardware. Same for playing videos.

I've done an install of Debian and it really puts a nail in the coffin of "PPC is faster at the same clock speed". Maybe on math, but not for average desktop use. Debian on my old Athlon XP 2400 (2.0GHz) single core is more responsive than this Mac dual 2.0GHz , even with a slightly slower ATI video card.

Online krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2014, 10:07:06 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;774554
It depends on your requirements. If you just want to have the fastest machine around, go for 2.7 GHz G5... However it is true, that liquid cooling system of those machines usually requires repairs or even complete rebuild after these years. It is not an easy task to do. So what are your goals? Low price, portability, space taken, generated noise, electricity consumption, machine speed, slots for additional cards?

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2014, 12:15:05 PM »
I got an G5 @ 2.7 GHz and so far there is no problem with it. But yes, one day it will start to leak and then I have to get it fix (expensive) or throw it away.

The 2 GHz models are plentiful, fast and pretty cheap. If you can find a 2.3 GHz (the fastest without water cooling) it would be a very good buy.

I'm very happy with my G5, even though there are some slight compatibility issues. I think the raw power makes it a lot more joyful to use than my slower G4 Ibook and Powerbook.

Like Krashan said, it depends on what you want.

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;774563
I got an G5 @ 2.7 GHz and so far there is no problem with it. But yes, one day it will start to leak and then I have to get it fix (expensive) or throw it away.

The 2 GHz models are plentiful, fast and pretty cheap. If you can find a 2.3 GHz (the fastest without water cooling) it would be a very good buy.

I'm very happy with my G5, even though there are some slight compatibility issues. I think the raw power makes it a lot more joyful to use than my slower G4 Ibook and Powerbook.

Like Krashan said, it depends on what you want.

What kind of compatibility issues>?

Offline esc

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »
+1 on the recommendations for an air cooled G5. Story time.

I had a 2.7ghz G5 powermac that recently kicked the bucket. It had leakage from the ICS on both cpu's, as well as damage to the (logic board?) motherboard. It was unfixable on a computer I bought for $50. So, I picked up a 2ghz air cooled G5 and the morphos team gave me a new keyfile at no charge (thanks!) so I'm currently using that.

Initial thoughts: Most things _feel_ like they are the same, 2.7ghz vs 2ghz. There is a pretty stark difference in OSX, though. The only time I really feel the slower clock speed is actually with OWB browsing the web. Specifically, opening new tabs takes ages. Other than that I didn't really notice the difference in clock speed, even with gaming.

Now, I personally wanted MorphOS to be more or less a solution for me to do all my retro Amiga stuff on newer and faster hardware, in particular run PPC software. To a degree, I can now do this. However, Warp3D is only available on some gpu chipsets. I have a Radeon9800XT in my machine, which is fantastic for games designed for MorphOS, and ports of games like doom and quake. It's seriously fast and awesome. However, I can't run WipeOut2097, Shogo MAD, or those very few games I intended to run in the first place :( Dual GPUs don't work for me, though I guess on some G4 powermacs they do. The dev team has no intention of bringing warp3d to any other cards - they look at it like it's dead and not useful. :(

I do have a radeon9250 (flashed for Mac) that I've successfully booted and run the aforementioned warp3d games on. However, it crushes some of my other games that I really enjoy, so it's not useful. Ideally, I would like to be able to run dual GPUs, my 9800xt in agp and the 9250 in pci.

One other talking point is that the G5 doesn't really have much "optimized" to run on it. UAE runs like absolute garbage for me, so whdload games aren't currently an option. Which...really sucks. Oh well.

My recommendations depends on what you'll use it for. Warp3d games and stuff: Find a mac mini g4 with silent upgrade (double GPU RAM) and you'll be happy! Want a more robust system with potential to later support more ram, different GPUs, etc? Get a g5 air cooled powermac.

Offline Yasu

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2014, 07:09:28 PM »
Quote from: Everblue;774564
What kind of compatibility issues>?

Nothing major. Only some games that has been working less well than on a G4 machine.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2014, 11:58:05 PM »
Thanks, I would like to use a G4/G5 all in one. Is emac the only one of those that will work?
Edit:
I found an answer.
http://www.osnews.com/story/24181/New_Year_s_Teaser_MorphOS_on_iMac_G5

There is a nice mac mini case on this page.
http://amiga.ikirsector.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13682
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:05:38 AM by trekiej »
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline pVC

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2014, 06:42:21 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;774578
Thanks, I would like to use a G4/G5 all in one. Is emac the only one of those that will work?
Edit:
I found an answer.
http://www.osnews.com/story/24181/New_Year_s_Teaser_MorphOS_on_iMac_G5

There isn't any real sign or promise to have real support for that iMac, I wouldn't count on it. And eMac just isn't good enough IMHO, mainly because CRT isn't what you'd expect nowadays :)

The closest thing for all-in-one would be a laptop, I'd recommend the latest Powerbook G4:s or maybe the very latest iBooks too.

But for a good all-around machine some desktop G4 machine around 1.5GHz or so would be a good choice at this point too. 1.5GHz Mac mini or then some reasonably fast Powermac G4. G4 machines are well supported and you can have compatibility with Warp3D etc if wanted. G5 is a bit different beast and it sounds like it needs some extra treatment from the software side, which maybe isn't optimized fully yet. Or at least that impression I've got, but I haven't used G5 machine ever...
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Yasu

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2014, 01:02:08 PM »
The iMac isn't supported. There is a proof of concept out there but due to some inherent technical problems they never released it. MorphOS Team doesn't want to add hardware support for machines that are expected to give them headaches.

My personal recommendations would be either a 2.3 GHz G5 (it's not water cooled) or a 1.67 GHz G4 Powerbook. The first for power, expandabilities and coolness :) The other for good support, portability and the fact that it's the fastest G4 machine out there, it got plenty of VRAM (up to 128 GB) and can be connected to a VGA screen.

My non-recommendation would be a Emac and an Efika. You will get tired of those quickly (The Efika is a cool little machine, but totally underpowered).

A Mac Mini silent upgrade is nice but often quite expensive compared to a G5 or Powerbook. Only get one if you lack space. And don't get the non silent upgrades because the have only 32 MB VRAM. A 2.0 GHz G5 is a good comprimise if you can't find a 2.3 GHz one. A Powermac G4 is also good, but there you need to make sure you have the right hardware (same with G5 also though). Ibooks are a little on the weak side so there are mostly good for portability (I think they have better keyboards than the Powerbooks).

So look at the list at the bottom, go for one of the two recommendations and you won't be sorry ;)

You can also read my blog that is geared to newbies for more info: http://morphosuser.wordpress.com.

http://www.morphos.de/hardware
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:04:10 PM by Yasu »

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2014, 09:13:47 PM »
Hadn't realised that there was a G5 imac.  Last model pretty decent specs.  Would be pretty impressed if support came for those.  They are not too expensive either :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »
Quote from: JJ;774628
Hadn't realised that there was a G5 imac.  Last model pretty decent specs.

Just as a parenthesis, the "A8" CPU used in the iPhone 6 scores just below a 2.5GHz G5 in spec int... ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:03:47 PM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)