Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Workbench 5 renamed Commodore OS  (Read 33794 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Workbench 5 renamed Commodore OS
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 03:24:53 AM »
While I have no problems with people being pro or anti C-USA or anything else, I wish people involved with C-USA would, in the interest of full disclosure: state they have vested interests.  Opinions from people with vested interests on controversial topics like this are obviously biased - just like they were when that CTO Leo guy was pounding the pulpit for "the cause".

Nothing personal Dammy, but you're a moderator over there on C-USA forums.  That no doubt has some bearing on the things you say that some people here may be reading and accepting as personal and unbiased opinion without outside influences.  Vested interests are vested interests, no?

I wouldn't expect a Ford salesman to try and sell me, or say a kind word - about a Chev product, but I'd expect the Ford salesman to admit he's a salesman for Ford, lol.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 03:43:20 AM »
Quote from: dammy;618880
C=USA is heavily focused on the C64x's launch with all sorts of contractual obligations demanding C64x be ready in large numbers.

So is that 5 or 10 units?
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2011, 04:12:42 AM »
Quote from: Duce;618882

Nothing personal Dammy, but you're a moderator over there on C-USA forums.  That no doubt has some bearing on the things you say that some people here may be reading and accepting as personal and unbiased opinion without outside influences.  Vested interests are vested interests, no?

I wouldn't expect a Ford salesman to try and sell me, or say a kind word - about a Chev product, but I'd expect the Ford salesman to admit he's a salesman for Ford, lol.

Oohhhhh, busted. I didn't know that. Do they have any satellite dishes left?
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 04:27:31 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;618881
@ haywirepc

I see you've changed your tune again about CUSA

ahh... thank you... :)

thought for a moment there I had gone senile and me memory was playing tricks on me... ;)

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2011, 04:31:35 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;618817
Damn, you folks can beat a topic into the ground!

Ha! What an understatement, its been beat into the ground, through the Earth's core and popped out on the otherside! Now their starting over. :(
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - Prístino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2011, 05:42:04 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;618873
The hype continues. Still not one shipping product, unless you count their cto who is the only known purchaser of one of their products.

So far :

Starting using commodore name before having legal permission to do so.

Launched a website before having legal permission to use the commodore name or trademarks.  

Starting using workbench name before having legal rights to do so.

copied and pasted apples website to their own site. (never admitted, but its been proven multiple times)

Ceo threatens to sue osnews.com for stating facts.

Ceo retracts legal threat after realizing what an asshole he is.

Lots of announced then cancelled new products.

First trashed, then embraced aros, then switched to using ubuntu with a commodore wallper.

New products being announced every month, but not one shipping yet.

commodore stickers slapped on cybernet zpc's. (only one sold) The guy that bought one is their new chief technical officer.

They announce a new Commodore/amiga OS :
Commodore wallpapers on ubuntu. (Calling it workbench V)

A new company shipping amiga branded computers before them.

Somehow I'm not feeling very positive about this commodore "revival".

Steven
gee you mean if buy pc they give me job sweet ceo of cleaning
Oh what grand design flawless great cpu power great os oh lovley.
hmmm
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2011, 08:11:14 AM »
C=USA is heavily focused on the C64x's launch with all sorts of contractual obligations demanding C64x be ready in large numbers.  Given the speed of this all coming together, it's going to have to have fairly stock OSs for it.  The Amiga series, OTOH, is still being fleshed out while the C64x has very high priority.  Once the C64x is out in stores, then I expect C=USA release information about the Amiga series and it's OS. Ubunto is not that exciting to me, C=USA's the follow on OS that will be running on C=USA Amiga series has my interest peaked. Although such a OS will probably take nearly a year to get such a project to beta level testing. :-|

Maybe they were afraid real WB 5.0 might be out by that time?
(Black humor on both camps)
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2011, 08:44:07 AM »
Once the C64x is out in stores, then I expect C=USA release information about the Amiga series and it's OS. Ubunto is not that exciting to me, C=USA's the follow on OS that will be running on C=USA Amiga series has my interest peaked. Although such a OS will probably take nearly a year to get such a project to beta level testing. :-|

I'm delighted with this sensible turn of events, but I'm still curious as before as to how they're gonna develop a new OS to beta level in just one year. Is it still going to be Linux-based à la Android etc., or is it new from scratch?
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;618691
The brave Iranian people overthrew their Imperial Puppet Dictator in 1979.

Remind us how long the Chetniks put up with Bolshevik rule for?

Certainly there needs to be a Zoo forum for you and Metalman (where is the old pig ? :lol:) to spit your selfish and anti-democratic slime in and on each other. This thread reads "Workbench 5 renamed Commodore OS" doesn't it ?!
I have spoken !

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2011, 12:46:28 PM »
If any of you seriously believe any of these "products" will ever see the light of day, you need your heads read.  It's not even vapor-ware, it's imagine-ware, CUSA is just Amiga Inc mk2, put out a few press releases every few months, then deliver nothing, why?  Because the Commodore/Amiga names are worth absolutely nothing commercially in 2011, and anyone releasing anything like they're describing would be bankrupt in weeks, not even "great business men" like Barry like literally pissing their money away.

I can't explain why guys like Bill/Barry like to do this, but I'd bet my first-born on the fact we'll never see any of these products actually launched, but of course, I said the same about Amiga inc back in 2004 and we're still waiting for OS 5 et al.

Commodore (the real one) lost loads of money selling Commodore branded PCs in the late 80s/early 90s, no one bought them when the company was a big player, Escom also failed in the mid 90s with their Commodore range, so did Tulip in the late 90s, Commodore Gaming also went belly up iirc in 2008/9, what makes CUSA so confident the time is now right for Commodore badged PCs to be a success when they flopped even when CBM were a 5 billion dollar company, recognised by everyone in the world, and at least 5 times since?  Crazy talk.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:07:08 PM by danwood »

Offline danwood

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »
C=USA is heavily focused on the C64x's launch with all sorts of contractual obligations demanding C64x be ready in large numbers.  Given the speed of this all coming together, it's going to have to have fairly stock OSs for it.  The Amiga series, OTOH, is still being fleshed out while the C64x has very high priority.  Once the C64x is out in stores, then I expect C=USA release information about the Amiga series and it's OS. Ubunto is not that exciting to me, C=USA's the follow on OS that will be running on C=USA Amiga series has my interest peaked. Although such a OS will probably take nearly a year to get such a project to beta level testing. :-|

Dammy, from what I gather you went to visit Barry and now you're Commodore USA's biggest supporter?  I can't figure out if you're delusional, involved in the "company" somehow, or have just really bought into this BS?  

If you're just a believer who desperately wants a return to the glory-days, I feel sorry for you, because I fear you're going to be very disappointed if you're pinning your hopes on this being a global relaunch of a successful Commodore brand, there is NO WAY this can be a successful project, even if any of it is actually real.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:57:27 PM by danwood »

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2011, 12:58:53 PM »
Quote from: vox;618726
Great for Commodore. And that alone helps CUSA in 2011? Dont be childish. They don`t like they know its a problem to use Workbench name and need sound excuse. If so, why they dont realise Commodore 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000?

Actually Barry talked to AI about using the name Workbench OS and they cleared it as they thought they would win the trademark issue with Cloanto.  No harm done and a new name will be used.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline danwood

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2011, 01:00:34 PM »
While I have no problems with people being pro or anti C-USA or anything else, I wish people involved with C-USA would, in the interest of full disclosure: state they have vested interests.  Opinions from people with vested interests on controversial topics like this are obviously biased - just like they were when that CTO Leo guy was pounding the pulpit for "the cause"..

From what I see, it's one guy who's running this show, and a few other guys who are blindly believing everything he's saying, probably because they want to believe so bad that Commodore/Amiga can come back and be a big player again, it's kinda sad :(  

I'd love to see the Amiga back in highstreet stores again (not in the way CUSA are proposing though), but I accepted many decades ago that it's never going to happen again, sometimes you need to know when to let go.

This whole thing actually reminds me of when old boy/girl bands from the 80s suddenly get the "great idea" of reforming 25 years on and expecting the same success they had at their peak, only to release a single that doesn't make the top 100, because the world has moved on, and then 6 months later they're back playing "Retro" nightclub events for $50 a night.  But even Bananarama and Tiffany still have their fans on Twitter who believe they'll get number 1s again, doesn't mean it's ever going to happen though.

Similarly, saying you own a Commodore computer or you're a Commodore fan, will usually get the same reaction as saying you're a New Kids on the Block or Rick Astley fan, a little sneer and people thinking you're a bit tragic.  At least the Amiga/Commodore has a nice nostalgic memory for most people, but no one would take these relics from another era as a serious name/product to buy today.

Someone should do a real survey of "normal consumers" and ask "Would you buy a new computer from Commodore or Amiga today?", I don't think the answers would be what you're hoping, probably the same as if they were asked "Would you buy a Hypercolor t-shirt or a rara skirt if we put them back on sale?".
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:14:15 PM by danwood »

Offline dammy

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »
While I have no problems with people being pro or anti C-USA or anything else, I wish people involved with C-USA would, in the interest of full disclosure: state they have vested interests.  Opinions from people with vested interests on controversial topics like this are obviously biased - just like they were when that CTO Leo guy was pounding the pulpit for "the cause".

For the record, I am not an investor of C=USA nor am I an employee of C=USA.  Yeah, I do moderate, for free, CAO.  If you look who is who on CAO, you will see a very strong and long term supporters for AROS.  I was the first company (Black Troll Technology Corporation which is now known (named changed but still FL corporation) as Nostromo Inc) to sell AROS boxes.  Nostromo Inc is no longer involved with computers or sales of computers.

I was the original person to start bounties up for anything Amiga related with my TeamAROS.  Prior to all that, I ran a ProCNet BBS with free UUCP (newsgroups and email) in Palm Beach County for seven years.  Do I get some tid bit of information here and there, yes, but then again so does a moderator on AO.

Well I got some news for you then, I have no vested interest in C=USA.  Happy now?  So exactly which Amigalike computers/OSs do you currently have?  In the name of full disclosure of course so we know who you are supporting.
Dammy

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »
Quote from: dammy;618946
Actually Barry talked to AI about using the name Workbench OS and they cleared it as they thought they would win the trademark issue with Cloanto.  No harm done and a new name will be used.

Fair play, I think it's about time you showed your C= affiliation in your sig though.

Offline dammy

« Reply #59 from previous page: March 02, 2011, 01:23:05 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;618883
So is that 5 or 10 units?

In the order of tens of thousands for the big box store, not sure what the major online retailer has ordered.  When you start seeing the TV adds, you will understand the big picture.
Dammy