Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Only 3 more days  (Read 9957 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Only 3 more days
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:26:26 PM »
I'm running Linux MintPPC on a PowerBook, I'm pretty sure that's as much "Commodore" as this is...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »
There, now my main-menu icon is a checkmark! It's official!
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:10:41 PM »
Quote from: Duce;666998
Hold on there, Tiger.

Let's not start giving revolutionary credit and praise to a company that's simply latched onto a Linux distro and spun it into a rebranded OS.

Praise Linux for what it is, but keep your tits in your shirt here in regards to this Vision OS - the C-USA boys haven't done anything other than customize a distro like any schlub in his basement could have done in a weekend.

They deserve no praise for freely making it available, they have to abide by GPL like anyone else.
^ This. I'm down with Linux (in fact, I'm finally abandoning XP for it, now I've got it running on the Powerbook,) but CUSA have done approximately what I, personally, could have done in the same time frame just dicking around in GIMP and playing with GTK themes. I've got mine looking like Mac OS 9 using themes I grabbed from gnome-look.org, does that make it a Mac? No, of course not. Yet CUSA still haven't stopped tooting their own horn incessantly about this revolutionary new...re-skinning of Ubuntu. CONGRATULATIONS, BARRY, YOU'VE ACCOMPLISHED EXACTLY WHAT THOUSANDS OF NERDS DO IN ANY GIVEN WEEK OF THEIR FREE TIME. WE TREMBLE AND DAMPEN OUR COLLECTIVE PANTIES AT YOUR 1337 5K1LLZ.

And while there's plenty of arguments to be made in favor of Linux, to say that it outperforms any of the NG Amiga OSes is kind of missing the point, in my opinion. Yes, you can run it on newer, mightier hardware, and you can more easily obtain modern software for it. On the other hand, it's nothing all that interesting or exciting; it's just  a Unixoid environment tweaked for desktop use to varying degrees. It works, and it generally works well, but it's not something that intrigues me on its own merits, as the Amiga OS and its assorted derivatives do. I think there's always going to be a place for niche OSes with interesting designs, even if they never catch up to mainstream platforms by general market standards.

Quote from: haywirepc;666995
4) Compiz - Its just nice, say what you want but it beats screen dragging.
And once you start working in 3d you will never want to stay in  flatland. Its literally a whole new dimension for the way you want to  work.

I use a 12 sided cube myself. I have a browser on one side of my cube,  facebook open on one,gimp always open in one side, my email program in  another, word processing in one, a system management screen in one with  monitors, 3 game screens, blender in one, audio editing in another,
and finally, a screen left for anything else I may load.
Actually? No. "3D" desktop environments disgust me. They're a waste of resources and provide no usability benefit over standard workspace-switching (indeed, considering the extra switching time, I'd say they're less usable.) Bleargh.

(Now, hardware-accelerated compositing window managers in general? Terrific idea, nicely-executed. I just don't need no damn cube-mapping.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:14:59 PM by commodorejohn »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »
Quote from: brownb2;667006
It doesn't matter anymore whether this stuff is pure blood. Perhaps it mattered 10 years ago but now the Amiga is a relic and can't compete even with mobile phones and extending an old architecture isn't going to cut it. These days anything that will kick start the company(ies) cash flow again is the right move, things change, time to move on. Gateway, Escom etc. weren't good companies but people got behind them even when they had no idea what they were doing, it's time to show some blind faith again.
God, no. Giving the benefit of the doubt to an unproven company would be one thing. But placing your trust in a guy who's proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that he's just another (funny word from "Pippa Passes") interested only in milking cash out of deluded retro enthusiasts and beating his chest to the community he's said he doesn't give a damn about? That's just stupid.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:46:17 PM »
Quote from: brownb2;667017
What's wrong with that? Apple have deluded fans, Sony have fanbois, football fans are often deluded...
Yes, and...? It's entirely true that there are other companies that make their money primarily by exploiting blind brand loyalty. I don't like them either. The only reason I don't say much to that effect is because their CEOs haven't shown up here to post news about how they totally tweaked Ubuntu to look kind of like AOS4 and demand our adulation for this incredible feat.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:17:08 PM »
Quote from: brownb2;667024
As you've noted it's a good business model.
I don't like Steve Jobs, I dislike his brainwashed fanatics and products but kudos to Apple for clearly getting it right.
No, see, there's a difference between something being functional and something being right. I could steal your wallet, and that would fulfill the function of keeping me in takeout Chinese and beer for another month, but I daresay you would have a couple objections to it.

Or, if it's the legality of the thing, I could sell you bottled elephant piss via slick ads that imply (but never state, because that would be false advertising, and that would be Wrong, and coincidentally also illegal and easily prosecuted) that it's a divine ambrosia that will make you popular with large-breasted women and the envy of all other men. There might be nothing at all illegal about it. (Assuming I paid off the FDA, anyway.) It would still be wrong.

The notion that "turns a profit" is the highest moral standard to which businesses should be expected to hold themselves is one of the biggest flaws in modern society.

Judge the company and the products, not the CEO. OSX is just Linux, Android is just Linux, IE is just Mosaic, a number of car makes have Volkswagen engines... it's certainly not something to get pissy about and needs to be put in perspective.
I do judge the products on their own merits. OSX is just [strike]Linux[/strike] BSD, yes, et cetera et cetera, and C-USA's products are just comically overpriced and underpowered PC clones in retro cases, running a skinned Ubuntu.

I also judge the CEO, when he makes himself a presence in the communities I frequent. I don't make too many remarks about Steve Jobs because he generally kept to his corners of the Internet and out of mine, but if he'd come on here talking about OSX Lion and how Apple was going to work towards doing away with that tired, old-fashioned time-tested desktop computing environment that they themselves were instrumental in perfecting, I'd have happily shared my exact feelings in no uncertain terms. I don't much care about a hobo ranting on the street corner, but if he shows up in my living room I'll have a few things to say to him.

Barry's company has shown that they are all too happy to provide ludicrously overpriced products, ship with significant design flaws (cooling issues, anyone?), and don't really give two shïts about customer support until a large enough number of people complain that they can't ignore it any more. Barry himself has provided ample evidence to conclude that he's an unstable huckster out to make a fast buck off people who are so desperate for any development that they'll buy any damn thing you slap a chickenhead on, and also no small measure of an *******. I trust neither as far as I could throw them.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 10:18:27 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;667328
What I don't get is why so many people think the rest of us have never tried Linux, when I'd warrant there's hardly anyone here who hasn't at some point.

We've tried Linux, we don't like it as much as AmigaOS for whatever reason, which is why we're here. If we had liked Linux we'd be on linux.org wouldn't we?
Hell, I'm even using it, actively, now, as both Windows and OSX are going in directions I want nothing to do with. I wouldn't say I really like it, it's just the mainstream, up-to-date, well-supported OS that annoys me the least. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be using something else with a more coherent, intuitive interface but a similarily broad software selection.

As soon as C=USA does something that actually has anything to do with Amigas, I'll be interested. Until then, I don't honestly see why they're allowed to advertise on this site for free?
Why? Because this is the Amiga community, and that means that anything, anything at all, that makes any kind of pretense of being an Amiga revival is somebody's new Messiah and must be blindly and sycophantically followed, supported, praised, and proselytized at any cost, no matter how annoying it is.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 02:11:25 AM »
I love how the "included software" that the page makes to sound like a painstakingly assembled productivity suite is pretty much all right from the repository. I'm sure no expense was spared in making sure the check boxes in Synaptic were really clicked.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 04:31:51 AM »
Quote from: Barry
It should be fun to see the OS experience develop and improve in front of your eyes.
This may be the funniest attempt at being "diplomatic" I've heard. "Yeah, we couldn't be bothered to put together a non-default icon set for release, despite the fact that Commodore-ish theming is quite literally our only selling point, but hey! Won't it be fun to watch us catch up after the fact?"

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 06:05:53 AM »
Quote from: runequester;667406
I guess it'd be tacky to bring up that "24/7 support" was promised over and over.
What do you mean? Of course there's 24/7 support! You can post on the Mint forums any time, day or night!

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
Quote from: persia;667687
Linux's big fail is that it has never appealed to non-Geeks.  When there was a move to Linux in net books there were numerous articles about people confused and discouraged by Linux.  There was even an article about someone wanting to drop out of tertiary education in the US because she got Linux instead of MS Windows.
Hell, I'm a geek myself, and I still can't get into it (just wrote a couple of blog entries on the subject.) So much of the software has such poor UI...and that includes some major, big-name programs like the GIMP. I can put up with learning a few quirks of an unfamiliar system, but I'm not going to keep wasting my time messing around trying to work with software that's really just badly designed.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 06:23:44 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;667712
I would have thought they would tweak amiwm, or something.  At least make the interface more 'amiga-like' than this very smurfy Gnome theme.
Ha ha, no. Tweaking amiwm would be work.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 07:55:32 PM »
Quote from: runequester;667984
Too bad, since a more polished amiwm would have been excellent.
Wouldn't it just? It's beautifully minimalist. But that presumes that one actually cares about something other than fulfilling the ad-copy promises with the absolute minimum of effort.