Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "most ambitious project" candidate?  (Read 5803 times)

Description:

Offline Rob

Re: "most ambitious project" candidate?
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »
Quote from: cv643d;528084
Yes, if you dig into the posts on Amigaworld.net you can find a statement from Rigo (some kind of developer of AmigaOS, Simon Goodwin from Amiga Format if that rings a bell) that x86 AND Mac Mini is ruled out (this statement was made last week).

Rigo is Simon Archer.

Just did a search on Simon N Goodwin and it turns out that he's been working for Code Masters since 2003.  I wasn't aware that he'd worked for Amiga Inc between 2000-2002.

I wonder if he'd do a port of Gold Mine for OS4. :)

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 10:57:35 AM »
".....If the statement of having 100 cores will not help the desktop market is true, why the 80 core cpu for windows in 5 years?....."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Because Windows 9 will need 60 of those cores just to run :lol:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 11:31:48 AM »
Using large numbers of cores represents a big paradigm shift in programming. Having played with CUDA in the last year gives a taste of how radically different you have to approach a given problem to exploit many-core processors.
int p; // A

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 11:35:38 AM »
Quote from: X-ray;528139

Because Windows 9 will need 60 of those cores just to run :lol:

That's so fabricated. I have it on good authority that after the next upgrade of Windoze 7, Microsoft is changing the OS name to "Portal" (as the word Windows is "so last century") and then suing Valve for the trademarks and rights to the name Portal. Microsoft will claim they had it first.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;528142
Using large numbers of cores represents a big paradigm shift in programming. Having played with CUDA in the last year gives a taste of how radically different you have to approach a given problem to exploit many-core processors.

So it'll be a near rewrite for anything AOS based API?
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline bernd_afa

• Show only replies by bernd_afa
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 01:15:34 PM »
oh another speculation thread, or is it a joke.this have nothing to do with a PPC, a single core is really slow with in order, if you have multithreadeds programs it run fast.See here.

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2007/08/MIT-startup-raises-multicore-bar-with-new-64-core-CPU.ars

"""
The short-pipeline, in-order, three-issue cores implement a MIPS-derived VLIW ISA with a few important and peculiar features.
"""

thats great news for compiling, because compile programs as OWB, chrome, firefox is so extreme slow and need hours that really demotivate to do it.

but on desktop, most users notice that most time more than 2 cores not need.

I hope we see end of year what is ambitious project.If not, maybe they reach a better place in the Vaporware of the year.

2003 they reach only place 9 with amiga OS4.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2004/01/61935?currentPage=all

but what happen if Hyperions SUper project is Port Duke nukem forever to OS4 ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_Forever

"""
DNF team fired and 3D Realms downsized - May 2009
"""

Maybe Hyperion port it to OS4 and all that love to play it duke nukem forever now, must buy a SAM.

but if thats possible that Hyperion can port a modern game is the next question.i see not that hypeiron port in the last years a modern game to Mac or Linux.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 01:17:51 PM by bernd_afa »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 01:59:22 PM »
Quote from: dammy;528157
So it'll be a near rewrite for anything AOS based API?

It would be a rewrite for any OS not already designed for many core, I'd say. CUDA (and by extension OpenCL) require that you take a completely different look at how to write code. Essentially you are writing code that launches many (read thousands) of concurrent threads at once over different sections of a dataset that you've divided into a grid. It's like SIMD but a bit more flexible in that it is possible for each thread to take a different path of execution at a conditional branch (you get a penalty when that happens though).

Unfortunately, not all code can be reworked for the many core approach. Only problems that contain inherent parallelism are suitable.
int p; // A

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 02:11:35 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;528080
You could argue that x86 != AMD64 ;)

That's my thinking too.  In fact, a Frieden has expressed his love for AMD64...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 03:00:51 PM »
AMD64 is a pretty nice architecture, once you get past the x86 subset quirks.
int p; // A

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 06:10:51 PM »
I still think the APM 83290 is more likely. I posted the link earlier in this thread. With production expected in Q1 2010 and samples available now, this daul-Titan 1.5Ghz chip looks well placed for a NG amiga.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 07:06:28 PM »
And it would play well with the audience, the audience that is likely to purchase AmigaOS anyway, which is all that really counts.  It's conservative so it fit's the Frieden's approach.  I think you are likely right.  Plus it would be a good chance to start the multi-core development.  

Multi-core is tricky to get right, and then time for the software to support it.  You can't even begin to test if you don't have multi-core machines in your user's hands.

Quote from: Tripitaka;528195
I still think the APM 83290 is more likely. I posted the link earlier in this thread. With production expected in Q1 2010 and samples available now, this daul-Titan 1.5Ghz chip looks well placed for a NG amiga.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 08:22:50 PM »
Quote from: amyren;528061
Nobody exept Hyperion themself knows which direction they are going. But I noticed that multi-core was mentioned on the roadmap for OS4.2.

Turns out there are no plans for 4.2 and SMP is still just a pipe-dream:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=29845&forum=14&start=120&viewmode=flat&order=0#517864

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 08:38:35 PM »
Quote from: amyren;528043
I just read an announcement about Tilera's new 100 core CPU, the Tile-Gx.
Wouldnt porting OS4 to this CPU be a worthy candidate to the speculations around Hyperions secret "most amitious project"?

Well, ever since "ssolie" spilled the beans all over MorphZone.org, and then made the announcement on the AmiWest event, I think it's pretty clear that it's about "the box", and the potential features that might lead to (of which "SMP" (kind of, at least) would be one). And frankly, I couldn't think of a more ambitious project than this.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 09:05:15 PM »
What are you talking about? A search of MorphZone reveals only that ssolie's posts are all about amiga.org getting a new owner and his Amiwest report getting rejected because it had sod all to do with MorphOS. Please, provide some links or your post is meaningless to anyone else.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 09:56:29 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;528220
What are you talking about? A search of MorphZone reveals only that ssolie's posts are all about amiga.org getting a new owner and his Amiwest report getting rejected because it had sod all to do with MorphOS. Please, provide some links or your post is meaningless to anyone else.

Well you know, he's hardly what you would call a "regular" at MorphZone, but suddenly one day, he starts posting all over the place about the "box" design of MorphOS, how that was the one and only essential feature of the OS, how that was really what everyone wanted, what we were promised, and how the MorphOS team failed so radically to deliver it, yada yada.

The peculiar thing about it was that it was so *completely unprovoked*, like a flash from a blue summer sky! I mean, nobody has even given the "Q-box" a thought since half a decade or so, but suddenly there he was, pushing this issue like mad. This caused people to wonder why he all the sudden was so interested in box designs, and I know I wasn't the only one who got the feeling that he suddenly "got to know something", and what he *really* wanted to say was: "That initial feature list of MorphOS, with a 'boxed' (microkernel) design, where the 'Amiga' environment runs untouched in a box and new exciting features (like SMP, MP, etc, etc) is added outside it, that feature list was promised to you MorphOS suckers by the MorphOS team a long time ago, this was probably what made you interested in MorphOS instead of OS4 in the first place, and the MorphOS team failed to deliver that to you, but guess what *Hyperion* has up in their sleeve... ... ...". Like he was preparing the ground for the news in his own, weird kind of way.

Here is how he suddenly increases his post count several hundred percent in a very short time...

http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=6248
http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=6285
http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=6287

...and recently this was quite confirmed by the announcement from AmiWest. A box design would be the only even remotely possible way to add "SMP" to the Amiga environment.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #29 from previous page: November 02, 2009, 10:31:12 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up, links etc...
It never ceases to amaze me just how much some people get caught up in the whole "this direction, that direction" fanboydom, even within this tiny group of hobyism we all belong to. WOW.

I like to think that having fun is what matters. Sure, I'd love to see AmigaOS on top but I have a bid on ebay for a MacMini right now to run MorphOS and I'll buy a SAM440 as soon as my wallet lets me. Even so, I still have no intention of ever getting rid of my A1200 w/. 3.9, she was my first computer after all.  :)

....and yeah, his posts do seem a bit....odd, but hey,I say;  Until it's in your hand it's all vapour, right!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:37:30 PM by Tripitaka »