Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: a1200 network  (Read 707 times)

Description:

Offline TeastTopic starter

• Show only replies by Teast
    • http://home.bip.net/elrik
a1200 network
« on: May 25, 2004, 04:38:31 PM »
Hi!

I have been searching the web now for some hours, searching for tutorials on how to get the a1200 working over a network.

here is some info about my network:
*a1200 (running wb3.1 with a 3com 3c589 card. only chip mem)
*1ghz pc (running XP as a router/gateway)
*16 ports hub
and a few other computers on the network...

I downloaded miami and installed it (I think it works cause when I run miamiInit I get the ip etc and the green light is glowing on the hub)
But when miamiInit is done the green dot on the hub stops glowing, and when I run miami (just starting it) the green dot wont start glowing on the hub.
I thought maybe it will when I try to use a program on the amiga that will use the network (like an ftp)

so I first downloaded amFTP but I where requesting some library and it was so big so i searched aminet for another ftp program (alot smaller one) and I found ncftp.
I downloaded it and the library ixmul (also from aminet)
but ncftp is still complaining about not finding the library ixmul..

So now I hope that someone of you guys could help me out and find the error...

what I whant to do with the amiga is primary to send/receive files with the other computers.. and maybe (if there is enough memory for it) try an irc client or something.

Thanks!
/Teast

Offline doctorq

• Show only replies by doctorq
Re: a1200 network
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 05:02:33 PM »
Hi,

hopefully this helps. Open Miami and right click, and select Import settings form MiamiInit. If MiamiInit figured everything out, you should be able to go online at this point (don't know if you have already done that).

You could also set it up manually. Press hardware, press new, press ethernet, type in a name, find the drive, press SANA-II parameters, press Query device. If something pops up, Miami has found your ethernet card.

Now press interfaces, press new, select ethernet and internet, select your ethernet card you just set up, and now just type the ip adress and stuff into the fields, or set it to DHCP. Now click online in the interfaces menu. Hopefully you will now be online.

If this is not what you wanted (you already have the internet up and running on your Amiga via the ethernet card), and you mean filesharing with your pc, then you should google for Amiga Samba.

Offline TeastTopic starter

• Show only replies by Teast
    • http://home.bip.net/elrik
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 05:33:27 PM »
It was the online button that I missed ^^
But it wont get online if I use dhcp (dhcp worked for miamiinit) so I changed to static and entered 192.168.0.6 as ip address 255.255.255.0 as netmask and 192.168.0.1 for gateway.
When I press online now the amiga will stay online and the lovley green dot will be litted on the hub...
but when I try to ping my amiga I wont receive any response.
Another question is if there is no other way to start the internet? cause miami is eating my memory (21.400 is what i have left when miami is running)

do you know any good and small ftp program? (that is easy to install) ^^

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 05:53:43 PM »

Teast wrote:

Another question is if there is no other way to start the internet? cause miami is eating my memory (21.400 is what i have left when miami is running)

Well, you're using a stock A1200, what did you expect? ;-)

There are different GUI modules for Miami, make sure you are using "Gadtools", this one is way more ressource-friendly than the other option(s).

There were other commercial TCP stacks that would be better suited for your setup (i.e. they wouldn't eat up as much memory), but..

- I can't remember their names ;-)
- they're (obviously) not as powerful as miami
- you probably wouldn't be able to locate them these days

So I think the best option would be to buy a FastRAM expansion on ebay.

do you know any good and small ftp program? (that is easy to install) ^^

With your current setup, the only thing that really makes sense would be a CLI based FTP client. I think there is one included with Miami...

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 06:07:17 PM »
AmiTCP uses MUCH less memory.  I run it on my 2M A600 and it takes about 260k including the CNET PCMCIA driver.  I have plenty to run aexplorer, ncftp, alynx, etc.  I haven't tried running a graphical FTP client though since Amiga Explorer does everything I need.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(