Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barry Altman and Commodore USA  (Read 60359 times)

Description:

Offline GobanToba

• Show only replies by GobanToba
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »
Quote from: tone007;577555
Read veeery carefully.  

The x86 will not run OS4.1.  This is the difference.  This is why the PPC systems exist, whether or not they're "Amigas," they run AmigaOS.  Obviously, if you don't want to run OS4.1, you don't buy one of the overpriced PPC systems.

It seems to me PPC systems exist at this point solely because of Hyperion's refusal to port to x86.  You're using PPC soley because you're at the whim of Hyperion.

It seems Hyperion has been at a cross-roads several times.  Recently here again with the X1000.  Hyperion had a choice as they have so many times before.  Spend there resources moving toward $3000 old technology or port to modern hardware.  They have been faced with this situation and every time they choose the expensive old hardware over moving toward something that had a future.

It's almost surreal that these guys keep sticking with this method.  If these are the types of choices they make in hardware why would you trust their software programming choices?

I certainly don't feel Friedens get to choose what Amiga becomes, nor do I feel Amiga Inc., get to dictate what Amiga becomes, nor H&P, and that is why I think AROS is the true Amiga Operating System.  I hope they get a license from AI to call it "Amiga Workbench" soon.  

If a case has a name saying Commodore Amiga, super cool with me.  A case is not why I use Amiga though.  AROS spirit is why I use Amiga.

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;577535
Iggy, did you ask him anything about:

1) How many employees C= USA has?
2) Does he plan to do any SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT for AROS? Or in any other way to support and promote it?

I can answer those.

1) 2
2) No.

He's bought the C= name, the Amiga name rights, and plans to sell x86 boxes in old C= style cases and throw on bundled OS's.   Not very exciting and not interesting if he doesn't plan to support and augment AROS development.

He didn't buy the C= name. He got a license to use it, same with the Amiga name.

Offline clusteruk

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
@Iggy

Altman does seem interested in seeing AROS move forward. I think he's a little  wary since he approached one developer about the sound drivers and was quoted a pretty large sum.
But if whomever is in charge in the AROS project were to contact him, they could probably establish a relationship.

Interesting, that is not how it went, as I am the owner of HDAudio system.
Amiga 1000/3000, iMica Silent and NVidia Aros computer.
http://www.imica.net
Lets enjoy the Amigas future, THIS year is 25th Anniversary lets make it special.
http://www.amiga25.org

Offline HammerD

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2010, 08:02:20 PM »
Quote from: mongo;577578
I can answer those.

1) 2
2) No.

He didn't buy the C= name. He got a license to use it, same with the Amiga name.

Well this is not interesting at all as he is just trying to move boxes by trying to leverage the C= and Amiga names.  At least ClusterUK has actively tried to develop AROS (eg. the sound driver).

I'd rather buy an AROX box from him even if it doesn't have C= or Amiga on it.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2010, 09:32:42 PM »
Quote from: skurk;577492

It's a PC.  You can buy a small Dell desktop for a few bucks that does the exact same thing, it runs Windows, Linux, AROS and whatnot.  It may not have the same specs, but it's more or less capable of doing the exact same thing.

So then what do you have?  A fancy looking plastic shell?

Ever see the red Ferrari branded laptops from Acer? Ever walked through a mall and seen seemingly identical products with a ten times markup because of a label? Brands mean a lot more to people than most of us care to admit.

That it does the exact same thing is irrelevant.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2010, 11:02:18 PM »
I'm starting a new company in my basement called commodore amiga technologies. I will slap stickers on existing cheapo pc products with a 40% markup.

The whole thing, and anyone giving attention to my fake company, or this one,is just ridiculous.

They stole original artwork they don't own, they stole portions or their website from apple word for word, just copying and pasting out apple products and replacing the product names and pictures with their own.They also mislead those less informed into believing that they are designing or manufacturing the crap pc's they are selling.

This speaks volumes about the "company".  Are we so desperate to see the name commodore or amiga used again that we are all going to cheer some sheister in his house slapping stickers on computers we can get 40% cheaper elsewhere? The whole thing is a joke, and it getting all this attention is a bigger joke.

Support clusteruk's imica, since he's actually doing real work to benefit the amiga/aros community. Support the ARES guy... Support the MorphOS guys... Or hyperion if you wish, but don't support another scammer who will not deliver on any of their empty promises and bullshit.

Steven

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2010, 11:41:10 PM »
I'd like to hear more from the iMica's creator, since I don't like be deceived and don't want to repeat a falsehood if that's whats been relayed to me.

I'd also encourage any of you that feel like continuing to support alternative systems to continue to do so.

I, personally don't care about the Amiga trademark. To me Amiga and Commodore are long dead entities.
I'm sure that any of you that are familiar with me will remember that I use and will continue to support MorphOS.

I really don't see these developments affecting those of us already focused on our own interests.

Regardless of our opinions, needs, or desires I don't think Altman considers us to be a major part of his potential customer pool. There just aren't that many of us.

Again, I would like to hear from others with experience with Altman or CUSA. If you're worried about posting for everyone, PM me and we can discuss this.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Plaz

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2010, 11:49:03 PM »
I've got a spare IBM E serise PowerPC server, can some one get OS4 to run on that?  That would get some attention.

Plaz

« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2010, 12:35:53 AM »
Quote from: Plaz;577629
I've got a spare IBM E serise PowerPC server, can some one get OS4 to run on that? That would get some attention.

Plaz

Offer it to the MorphOS development team, they do MOS ports to some outlandish hardware at times.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2010, 01:47:08 AM »
Quote from: tone007;577429
Commodore and Amiga were something original and different. Taking run of the mill PCs that don't do anything that any other PC on the market (from established vendors with real reputations and real support) can do and branding them Commodore/Amiga to play on the fond memories people have of the names from their early computing experiences (the "good old days" which most seem so eager to reclaim) for nothing but profit is very lame.

Bring on the original product, even if it's only a replica C64 case.  At least that'd show a bit more effort than doing some paperwork and ordering generic computers.

The original Commodore-Amiga delivered near cut-edge multimedia PC performance at affordable prices.

Why have specialized chipsets when you have the entire company(e.g. AMD or NVIDIA) specialized on doing one or two things i.e. designing high performance GPUs.

---

Btw, Intel SandyBridge (CGPU) has a GPU which beats AMD Radeon HD 5450. http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/8/30/sandy-bridge-gpu-beats-radeon-hd-5450/

For Intel, designing GPUs are part of their tier-one focus.

To be balance, AMD has Ontario CGPU (Netbook targets) which delivers playable Alien vs Predator at DX11 effects (max details) and HD screen resolutions.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:12:44 AM by Hammer »
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2010, 01:52:06 AM »
Quote from: hooligan;577545
Agree on ALL accounts. I might add, anyone who thinks Linux-variants are for casual computer-user are deluded as well ;)

Google's Andriod OS says Hi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:54:08 AM by Hammer »
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2010, 02:56:40 AM »
Android tablets are likely to be the hot items this Christmas season.    There's dozens of them in the pipelines...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Motormouth

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2010, 04:36:09 AM »
I cannot blame Mr. Altman from trying to make money off of the retro computing fad, (though I do think it fair to ask about the images he is using).  If the amiga (and commodore) communities do not like what he is selling we simply don't have to buy them.

I agree with many of you, long term AROS has the best shot of becoming a new "amiga"
IMO, for what it is worth, the amigaos died at amiga 3.1.

I do not have a OS4.1 system of my own, but from what I have seen of OS4.1 it has lost much of its amiga soul.  It feels much like a PPC linux distro.  but certainly I would defer to all of you with an OS4.1 systems.

What will the aeon X1000 do to make it an "amiga"? run OS 4.1?  and are you willing to pay a possible $1000+ USD for it?  

P. S.
@runequester: "actually, I think windows sucks because it can't do what I need it to do."
I am curious,  What can't windows do that you need it to do?  and what would a new amiga do that you need it to do?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 04:41:44 AM by Motormouth »

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2010, 09:44:41 PM »
CUSA's websitehas been redesigned.
The website looks much better and now has pictures of the new Amiga and PC64 models.

Youn can find it at:

http://www.commodoreusa.net/home.html

Edit - Corrections made it deference to Piru, who is right, many of the controversial images still remain.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:01:33 PM by Iggy »

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2010, 09:56:16 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;579791
CUSA's websitehas been redesigned to eliminate to borrowed artwork so many of you were offended by.
All the borrowed artwork appears to be there, still.

Obviously the Amiga Fantasy render by Marko Hirv (but now attributed only as inspiration, rather than actual computer model)
http://amiga.roomies.dk/wallpapers.htm
http://www.designbyxs.com/printdesign/amiga%20chrome%20trail.jpg
http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/ae226/sutandes1/computer/ (2 pictures form this album)
http://technology.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/20086/
http://oldcomputers.net/c64.html
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2010/mobility2010/images/HPMini100eAngle.png

Obviously some of it might be used with permission. Perhaps.

Note how some of the pictures have been retouched to remove the original labels. For instance the HP Mini 100e picture has the HP logo and product name removed. I doubt HP is too happy about this, at least their Terms Of Use appear to prohibit it.

Oh btw, here's the Commodore TOTEBOOK:
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2010/100623xa.html
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2010/mobility2010/HPMini100eDatasheet.pdf
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:00:51 PM by Piru »

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #74 from previous page: September 16, 2010, 09:56:39 PM »
Quote from: Motormouth;577660

I do not have a OS4.1 system of my own, but from what I have seen of OS4.1 it has lost much of its amiga soul.  It feels much like a PPC linux distro.  but certainly I would defer to all of you with an OS4.1 systems.

What will the aeon X1000 do to make it an "amiga"? run OS 4.1?  and are you willing to pay a possible $1000+ USD for it?  

The X1000 is using 5 year old technology but costing $2000-2500+ USD based on £1500+ price estimate.

However OS X is just a very well designed GUI on a version of UNIX, there is no shame in OS 4 achieving the same....shame the hardware just isn't there because nobody [with some capital] had the brains to telephone IBM and ask them to aid in the design of a 3.2Ghz PPC compatible Xenon CPU they manufacture for peanuts in quantities now totalling over 50 million to date ;)