Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PS3 - X-Box 360 - Nintendo Revolution  (Read 10711 times)

Description:

Offline Louis Dias

Re: PS3 - X-Box 360 - Nintendo Revolution
« Reply #119 from previous page: October 27, 2005, 05:26:29 PM »
Gee, a 360 exclusive launch title developer slams the Revolution controller: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=12577

I think MS is scared that Revolution could dethrone the 360 as the FPS platform.

His comments are rather stupid.  Though I'll agree that there is nothing wrong with the 360 controller...there's also nothing new about it and it (to me) resembles a Dreamcast controller, not Revolution's...

On the PS3, while the controller is ugly as poo, I hear it feels good in your hands.  Again, nothing new there either.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2005, 04:55:35 PM »

lou_dias wrote:
I think MS is scared that Revolution could dethrone the 360 as the FPS platform.

I don't think that MS is scared.  Neither does anybody else.  But, only time will tell.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1456&Itemid=2

Xbox 360 will overtake Nintendo’s Revolution, selling almost twice as many next-gen consoles by 2010.

Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2005, 07:12:11 PM »
interesting and useless "prediction" since not one console of any system has been sold yet.  Also the word "overtake" implys a "lead" to overtake. and also for 5 years from now.

The way that loud mouth from Epic games was talking (in the link I posted), he was going over the top on alot of things, then at the end when Matt, the editor for the Gamecube division of IGN.com mentioned the games he was looking forward to (mostly Revolution titles) the crowd was really behind him.  Interesting how half the audience owned Gamecubes and 1/10 owned it as their sole console.  The moron from Epic games says you can't have a market with 10%...ignoring the fact that over half the audience actually owned gamecubes.

I wonder how many people own a PS2 or an XBOX as their sole system?  The guy was just an arrogant arse protecting his own interests in his 360 product - Gears of War.

Interestly during that show, Matt C. from IGN.com had previously been looking forward to alot of 360 launch titles (he owns and loves all systems for their individual features) until he got to play them.  Perfect Dark Zero being one of them.  I keep telling people the 1st generation of 360/PS3 titles are only going to be twice as powerful as the current XBox.  Multi-core programming is not in it's prime yet.  The stills look great but unless it's running a video, having 3x the screen space to fill with only 2x the power makes the animation look choppy.

Offline adolescent

« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2005, 10:03:22 PM »

lou_dias wrote:
Also the word "overtake" implys a "lead" to overtake. and also for 5 years from now.

Since you have trouble reading, I'll quote it again.

Xbox 360 will overtake Nintendo’s Revolution, selling almost twice as many next-gen consoles by 2010.

True, it does say overtake, but not 5 years from now.  The part you missed was that they're predicting the 360 to sell almost twice as many by the year 2010.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2005, 10:34:42 PM »
it's one man's meaningless prediction.  It's escentially saying that 360 is coming out first and selling like crap and revolution will outsell it with a quickness even though it comes out almost a year later (possibly) then for some unknown reason, sales magically pick up and it doubles Revolution's sales by 2010....meanwhile no mention of PS3...

A useless opinion.  Only time can and will tell.

Offline MskoDestny

• Show only replies by MskoDestny
    • http://www.retrodev.com
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2005, 02:23:09 AM »
Well seeing as each of Nintendo's consoles has sold less than it's predecessor and that there are plenty of reasons to believe that the 360 will sell better than the original XBox the 5:1 prediction doesn't sound completely unreasonable.

I also don't see the Revolution's controller being all that great for FPS games. There just aren't enough buttons for most of them (jump, crouch, fire, secondary fire, weapon switching, flashlight, etc.). RTS games should play well though. Frankly, I've played Call of Duty 2 on the 360 and aiming wasn't all that hard and the positioning of the triggers works particularly well for that kind of game.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2005, 10:43:47 PM »
For fuel to the 360 fire:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=23889856

@MskoDestny

You do know that you can add on to the controller right?  Watch the video.  It's expandable by plugging addons into it.   Nintendo is including the "nun-chuk" addon that adds an analog stick and 2 shoulder button held in your left hand.  Back to the controller, it offers easy access to a D-pad, B-trigger button and A-topside button.

Simple things like turning left and right can be done by twisting the controller clockwise and counter-clockwise along the axis that points towards the screen.  Looking up or down can be done by pointing the controller over the top or underneath the TV screen.  It can be quite instinctive once you get used to it.

It changes the way you play.  Don't get stuck in the traditional interface rut.

Reloading can be like the arcade gun games where you "fire" off-screen to reload.

Revolution's controller possibilities are limitless, not limited.  A traditional controller dock was prototyped by IGN.com.  The "remote" just docks into the center of a traditional controller adapter and gives you all your analog sticks and buttons for "traditional" games but still gives you the 3D spatial movement technology.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5732

ps,
it was 2:1 not 5:1 and I believe the article was targeting the US market only, good luck in Japan  :-P

Offline adolescent

« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2005, 12:11:45 AM »

lou_dias wrote:
it was 2:1 not 5:1 and I believe the article was targeting the US market only, good luck in Japan  :-P

Japan is such a small market these days that it's not as important as far as total sales numbers are concerned.  The real benefit to being successful in Japan is to attract Japanese developers.  

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2005, 12:38:37 AM »

adolescent wrote:

lou_dias wrote:

Japan is such a small market these days that it's not as important as far as total sales numbers are concerned.  The real benefit to being successful in Japan is to attract Japanese developers.  

http://the-magicbox.com/topten.htm

yeah real small - for Microsoft  :-D

Offline MskoDestny

« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2005, 02:38:44 AM »

lou_dias wrote:
You do know that you can add on to the controller right?  Watch the video.  It's expandable by plugging addons into it.   Nintendo is including the "nun-chuk" addon that adds an analog stick and 2 shoulder button held in your left hand.  Back to the controller, it offers easy access to a D-pad, B-trigger button and A-topside button.

Even with the silly analog stick dongle you've got fewer buttons than the Gamecube controller and I found it inadequate for FPS games.

Simple things like turning left and right can be done by twisting the controller clockwise and counter-clockwise along the axis that points towards the screen.  Looking up or down can be done by pointing the controller over the top or underneath the TV screen.  It can be quite instinctive once you get used to it.

I don't really see how it's more instinctive. In the case of a traditional controller you push the stick left and you look left with the Revolution controller I turn my hand left and I look left. If I taped the revolution controller to my head then indeed it would be more instinctive. It will offer greater precision for FPS games, but the lack of buttons makes it ineffective for that purpose. RTS games will probably work great as well as a number of other genres; however, FPS games won't work well without a lot of simplification.

It changes the way you play.  Don't get stuck in the traditional interface rut.

Reloading can be like the arcade gun games where you "fire" off-screen to reload.

This won't work if you're using the direction of the remote-thing to look with. Every time you go to reload you'd end up turning yourself around. Off screen reloading really only works well for games on rails like traditional light-gun games.

Revolution's controller possibilities are limitless, not limited.  A traditional controller dock was prototyped by IGN.com.  The "remote" just docks into the center of a traditional controller adapter and gives you all your analog sticks and buttons for "traditional" games but still gives you the 3D spatial movement technology.

I really don't see the appeal of having a bunch of tacky add-ons to the controller rather than just having a separate controller. The whole add-on concept seems to be a big compromise between the different needs the controller tries to fit. Simplicity and approachability for the casual and non-gamer crowd, useability for newer games that need a few extra buttons and/or an analog stick, and compatability with SNES,N64, and Gamecube games. In the end it turns into a mess. They probably would have been better off adding the motion/position sensing stuff ot a revved Gamecube controller.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5732

This would seem to further validate my point. They got so obsessed with making the controller more accessible to the casual and non-gamer crowd that they made it unsuitable for a lot of existing game types without jamming it into a traditional controller.

I really think Sega had the right idea here. They made specialized controllers for games that needed it, like the fishing controller (which was motion sensing by the way) and the Samba de Amigo Marracas. Too bad Sega didn't have the money to fight the marketing war.

it was 2:1 not 5:1

Oops, that's what I get for posting when I'm sleepy. Don't know where that 5:1 number came from.

and I believe the article was targeting the US market only, good luck in Japan  :-P

Initial reports suggest that Microsoft has gained some mindshare in Japan with the 360. It's not entirely clear how well that mindshare will turn into marketshare, but it's progress none the less.

For fuel to the 360 fire:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=23889856

From the article:
[UPDATE] Well, over the weekend, eagle-eyed reader Mike Scott pointed out that in GameSpot's October 27 video Q&A with the designers of Condemned, one developer said the studio is using the Xbox 360's second thread to give opponents improved artificial intelligence. Since Sega said the game will go on sale alongside the Xbox 360 on November 22nd, it turns out the Inquirer was wrong.

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus, apparently.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the other launch titles were all single-threaded. I'm pretty sure they all started life on other platforms and moving to a multi-threaded design requires quite a bit of rewriting. Given the pressure to get these titles out by launch day, I'm not surprised.

Titles like PGR3 and DOA4 will be the first to start truly showing what the 360 hardware can do.

Looks like the Revolution will be using one or two PPE cores and not a G5(or two) though. Check out this article over at Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/revolution.ars

At first it looked like mostly speculation until I got to this bit:
I now have very good reason to believe that I was correct the first time, and that Revolution will use the same PPE core that powers the Cell and the Xenon. On this point, I have to appeal to inside information the source and nature of which I won't characterize. IBM has sold this core to all three console makers as a media processing monster that packs a lot of power into a small die area, and they tried to sell Apple on it as a laptop core based on those very qualities.

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2005, 11:00:09 AM »
Lou:  and yes, I have no interest in Linux, you are correct but if all I had to do to run an alternate OS on the GC was install a $50 mod chip that takes 10 minutes to install, I think the Amiga community has gone through alot more hassel to upgrade their machines and still be nowhere near the power of a Gamecube

Yeah, we all know what's possible with all that memory.

Don't forgot to add in your ethernet adapter, mouse, keyboard, new case, card reader, memory card, other easily overlooked stuff, etc.  Have fun voiding your Gamecube warranty, everyone, and don't run into the problem Lou had when his Gamecube didn't turn on.

Oh yeah, don't forget all those deals on eBay, because only Idiot Ass Clowns pay MSRP.

I got my Mac mini on eBay for $335, and it's a full computer with 256MB or RAM and a real PPC that blows away Gamecube in every possible respect.  Obviously, this is unacceptable for the Amiga community.  We need Nintendo.

Lou:  I predicted that a game for the GC would run enhanced on Revolution...if you read cube.ign.com/mail the editor there says this is a possibility with Zelda.

Possibility?  Editors making hopeful predictions?  Say it isn't so!

Lou:  As for the GC, since it's escentially an upgraded Gamecube

Proof?  Nobody knows at this point how Revolution runs Gamecube games.  You have no trouble passing off your speculations as proof, of course.

Lou:  As for 360, it just won't have the muscle to "emulate" all the regular XBOX titles.

This comes from hands-on experience, I take it?

I'm still holding to my theory that certain future Gamecube titles will be "aware" of the fact that they are running on Revolution hardware and run "enhanced".

That can be done easily with seperate compiles.  I think Revolution's Gamecube mode will work like the Commodore 128 did when you went into "go 64."

That's not to say old games won't run better on new hardware.  But, the game will obviously have to be fooled into thining it's running on a Gamecube.  Post-Revolution Gamecube titles can very easily have ways of detecting the new hardware.  How the old games behave is questionable.

koafder:  And why bother making it backwards compatable, when you can sell your retro versions all over again after they have been ported?

Not having to unplug everything repeatedly and have yet another box lying around?

I play all my old console games on my PC for this very reason.  Plus, they all tend to run better on emulators than on the original systems, and I can remap controls so I can play them much better using PC controllers.  A keyboard is just soooooo much better than a crappy Genesis controller or digital joystick.

koafder:  Cmon, you know you;d pay 20 bucks to play mario 3 on your new nintendo.

This is my big beef with Nintendo's claim of being able to run your old games.  You're not getting backwards compatibiltiy with your existing games.  You have to relicense everything into a "native" format for the new systems, even if it is running on a software emulator.

Paying an Internet subscription service is even worse.  You don't own anything, and you pay even if you don't download anything.  Pretty soon, you won't even have game discs, anymore, when you can just pay a monthly fee.

Oh, wait... that's innovation at work.  That's always a good thing, isn't it?

Lou:  interesting and useless "prediction" since not one console of any system has been sold yet.

Words to live by, unless you're explaining exactly how Revolution works when Nintendo hasn't even finalized the hardware, and that the new systems will only be twice as fast as XBox becuase Microsoft and Sony programmers don't know how to code for multiple cores.

I remember these same kinds of arguments when Playstation and Saturn were set for release.

Lou:  I keep telling people the 1st generation of 360/PS3 titles are only going to be twice as powerful as the current XBox. Multi-core programming is not in it's prime yet.

Especially since PCs have been using lots of mutithreaded software for years.  Yup.  Nobody knows a damn thing about multiple CPUs, especially since XBox 360 runs a Windows core, which has supported similar hardware on servers since its NT days.

Of course, Nintendo will have multiple cores, too, but Nintendo developers are immune to such performance problems because they're much smarter than those poor, drooling apes developing games for Microsoft and Sony.

It's safe to say developers won't be using the hardware to its full potential until after a few years (which is always the case with console hardware), but "twice as powerful as XBox" is really pushing it, Lou.

Lou:  The stills look great but unless it's running a video, having 3x the screen space to fill with only 2x the power makes the animation look choppy.

Yeah, we all know the GPUs are only twice as fast, too, and choppy frame rates are always the fault of the hardware, never the fault of developers making demos for unreleased hardware.

Oh yeah, isn't Revolution going to be less powerful than XBox 360 and PS3?  I suppose that means Nintendo games will be slideshows.  Everyone knows these new CPUs are incapable of anything useful, especially since all three next-gen consoles are basicly the same architecture designed by the same supplier.

Lou:  You do know that you can add on to the controller right?

Ever notice how add-ons don't sell very well?  People prefer all-in-one solutions when it comes to consoles, even if they cost a fortune.  Otherwise, why even call them consoles?

Lou:  Reloading can be like the arcade gun games where you "fire" off-screen to reload.

Yeah, but arcade games have plastic guns with triggers and kick-back, not rectangular remote controls with badly placed buttons.  :-)

Lou:  yeah real small - for Microsoft

What's so surprising?  With XBox 360 around the corner, nobody is going to buy an XBox now.

Hmmm... I wonder how many Gamecubes will sell right before the launch of Revolution.

MskoDestny:  Even with the silly analog stick dongle you've got fewer buttons than the Gamecube controller and I found it inadequate for FPS games.

People who adore FPS'ers are not Nintendo's target audience.

MskoDestny:  Even with the silly analog stick dongle you've got fewer buttons than the Gamecube controller and I found it inadequate for FPS games.

Fewer buttons isn't always a bad thing.  What bugs me is that people are probably going to drop it constantly, and the fact that it's just so ergonomicly incorrect.  I'm also not too impressed that the analog controller is connected to the remote with a wire, despite all this glorification over wireless technology.  It's fun to have a 2-foot cord in your lap while you're waving your remote in the air.  I also wonder what this will do to the Carpel Tunnel Generation.

As an interface designer, I think the controller is a classic example of bad execution, approved by a manager instead of a game designer.  If I had designed it, I would have made it a discus with a thumb handle.

How much you wanna bet this controller was the direct result of some stuffy exec raging over the success of the EyeToy?  I'm sure with Nintendo's emphasis on affordable hardware, people will have a blast playing it on their 2000" plasma TVs.

MskoDestny:  I don't really see how it's more instinctive.

The typical buzzword is to say that it is "natural."

If you want natural, go for a walk, get some friends together, and go to the park and play a game of tennis.  Entertainment technology is supposed to overcome natural limitations that prevents us from experiencing very atypical things, like the dangerous sport of car racing, space exploration, randomly killing people, etc.  You don't need lots of buttons to do that, but you need more than a fat, rectangular magic wand.

Seriously, think about it.  If this controller had been available seperately for the Gamecube, would it sell?  Would people just think it's a gimmick and a passing fad?

MskoDestny:  Off screen reloading really only works well for games on rails like traditional light-gun games.

That's what bugs me most.  The N64 had a lot of issues with its early 3D platform games because you couldn't adjust the camera.  Dreamcast did not improve this very much, as Sonic Adventure proved quite well.  Once Sony introduced controllers two analog sticks, it became painfully obvious that people could control cameras much, much better than any AI routine can, and since you can look around only when you expect it to happen, it feels more "natural" than when the game does everything for you.

Revolution will likely have a lot of games that play "on rails," and that's not a good thing.

MskoDestny:  The whole add-on concept seems to be a big compromise between the different needs the controller tries to fit.

Yeah.  Most games that could really benefit from a unique controller are best with a purpose-built controller, like, as you suggested, Sega's fishing pole.

Revolution's controller seems more like, "PowerGlove, Part Deux: we'll get it right this time.  Honest!"

MskoDestny:  Simplicity and approachability for the casual and non-gamer crowd

Nintendo's audience is the younger group of gamers.  I think the real reason why Nintendo is going so cheap with their new console (low performance, no HDTV), is because they feel their core audience is too young and inexperienced to care about power, visual quality, lots of features, and so on.  This may make Revolution profitable for that core audience if they keep their costs under control, but if Nintendo isn't careful, they'll wind up like Sega -- having to drop out of the hardware race altogether, and make their games for much more powerful machines.

Nintendo is one of the world's leading and most powerful software developers.  They really don't belong in the hardware market if this is all they can deliver.  Personally, I think Revolution will hold them back.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2005, 12:57:35 PM »
@MskoDestny

Revolution offers the possibility of using Gamecube controllers.  Wether that's for Gamecube cames only, we don't know yet.  It should be noted that a wired version of the Revolution controller was demoed to several editors running on the Gamecube.  
On the "remote" controller: opinions vary.  We'll leave it at that.

On your article.  Did you read it?

The kind of gameplay-centric code that Nintendo wants to write—the sort that developers are having a hard time making run on the PS3 and the Xbox 360—can be done with the PPE, but the key will be in increasing the amount of L2 cache in the design. A large on-die L2 cache, possibly in combination with a larger off-chip 1T SRAM cache, will give the processor's integer and branchy code performance a huge boost. It will also make the architecture more developer-friendly, insofar as it's a more traditional two- or four-threaded design with enough cache to do at least some justice to all running threads if implemented carefully.

a PPC core it a PPC core, but Nintendo's will have a large cache (like the Gamecube did) and use branch predicting Out of Order executing cpu (as opposed to the 360's In-Order-Executing) which is what gives desktop cpu's alot of their processing power beyond just the MHz race.  It's like choosing an AMD 3400 over a Pentium 3.4GHz.  This is exactly what I've always been saying across multiple threads on this site.  It makes programming traditional as opposed to having to specify what code runs on what core.  This is what makes Revolution a good potential desktop PC platform for OS4.

Revolution looks to be very developer-friendly.

@Waccoon
Yeah, we all know what's possible with all that memory.

Don't forgot to add in your ethernet adapter, mouse, keyboard, new case, card reader, memory card, other easily overlooked stuff, etc. Have fun voiding your Gamecube warranty, everyone, and don't run into the problem Lou had when his Gamecube didn't turn on.

Oh yeah, don't forget all those deals on eBay, because only Idiot Ass Clowns pay MSRP.

I got my Mac mini on eBay for $335, and it's a full computer with 256MB or RAM and a real PPC that blows away Gamecube in every possible respect. Obviously, this is unacceptable for the Amiga community. We need Nintendo.

typical stuff you buy with any PC purchase.  Your point?  Oh - do you use our Amiga keyboard on your PC?  Didn't think so...but I have spare PS/2 keyboard laying around from small "upgrades".  If you want to pay $70 for a brand new wireless keyboard, that's you issue, not mine.  By the way, when was the last time anyone bought "new" Amiga hardware?  Doesn't most of it around here come from ebay?  And isn't it 12-20 years old too boot?

As for your Mac-mini, should I go quote the thread where you complain about how slow it is?  And how much faster OS 4 would run on it because it's a small and efficient OS?  That's also why OS4 could run on a GC.  I never said the GC is the perfect OS4 platform, just a potential one to help grow the market.

As for XBOX emulation, I can post numerous articles on it.  Microsoft has stated that a harddrive is mandatory for emulation.  The 360 has NO hardware in common on any level with the XBOX.  Nintendo is using the exact same hardware developers for Revolution.  Ofcourse you'll demand that I "prove it" in your typical (I won't say it) fashion.  So I will when I get home from work.

About market size in Japan.  No one has bought an Xbox as the 360 is around the corner...but noone has ever really bought an XBOX in Japan.  Ever.  Didn't they break 100k units sold only this year?  And that's in 4 years of sales.   Yes, the 360 has no where to go but up in sales over the Xbox.  According to polls around the world, it's Sony who is going to take a hit in market share next generation.  Both Nintendo AND Microsoft will be increasing their market share.

Hmmm... I wonder how many Gamecubes will sell right before the launch of Revolution.

I don't know but Nintendo will continue to sell them as long as people buy them.  Look at PS1 sales...  If it makes a profit, it will stay on the market until there are no more orders...unlike the XBox.  MS can't wait to get those off the shelves.  Didn't production stop in June?

Also, Nintendo is not targeting "kids", they never have.  If you think Super Mario 64 was just for kids...or any of their other games...you have issues.  Nintendo is trying to bring in people who are not normally gamers now.  They've been doing this with the Nintendo DS already and quite succesfully.

Your opinions are - just that.
My predictions are - just that as well.

We can agree to disagree.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2005, 01:26:29 PM »
Lou:

Damn, why post about the immaturity of multiproc programming? It's a non issue with developers. Multithreading has been around for 20 years+. Most of us are very familiar with threading libs. It's old stuff. Kernel distributes threads accross processors, and if you are anal, you specify your thread towards a specific proc.

Old skool game programming was the same. A system is chock full of procs. A gramhics processor, the main processor, the sound processor, an audio processor, etc. Lots of cores with lots of programabiity hanging out on a bus.

Things are more consolidated now. There is less time spent banging on hardware, more time spent on other things.

The analog stick for controlling camera is awful. Now a player has to control the character and the camera. It's not all that fun. Look at super mario sunshine. You are constantly having to move the camera view around, this sucks. Often it doesnt matter anyway, ive seen a few levels where even the manual camera view constantly gets in the way.

There is this level were you have to make your way up the backside of a ride, and the limits are so tight, you basically have to play it by feel and hope you get where you need to go, because you cant see whats going on.

You cant blame the controller on bad game design. On DreamCast, check out soul reaver. The camera always focuses on what you need to see. If you want to see more, you can press both flippers and look around, but its rare you have to do this.

In metroid prime on GC, in morph mode where you are in 3rd person view, moving around, the camera is always in the right position to see whats going on. It's called good game design.

In the end, it doesnt matter the hardware. Every new generation has better graphics ability than the previous. Each platform will only have a dozen or so games worth playing.

As for the new nintendo, f*ck, i dont want to have to move my limbs around to play a video game. Remeber the movie Johnny Nemonic? Remember where he donned the "vr" equipment, and he had to move around his arms and hands to manipulate his online experience? There has been a lot of research here, it turns out that having to move around limbs isnt much fun, because it tires the hell out of you.

So now we will have games that require you to move around the room, prancing like a que#r, just to get your as$ kicked constantly in some level you cant beat, unless you are a professional gamer. Great.

But hey, at least i am quite sure the developers will be able to make use of them new fangled multiple proc systems.

Offline MskoDestny

« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2005, 02:08:46 PM »

lou_dias wrote:
On your article.  Did you read it?

Yes, but did you?

a PPC core it a PPC core, but Nintendo's will have a large cache (like the Gamecube did) and use branch predicting Out of Order executing cpu (as opposed to the 360's In-Order-Executing)

While the large cache is speculated in the article, it's quite clear that the Broadway chip in the Revolution will be using PPE core(s) which do not feature out of order execution. The extra cache will help mitigate some of the poor branch prediction, but it will only go so far. The PPE has a long pipeline and it takes a while for that to refill after a branch mispredict even when the appropriate code is in the cache.

Revolution looks to be very developer-friendly.

Well it looks like the Revolution will need the least threading to achieve the maximum performance of the console which makes it the least radical departure from existing consoles. Unfortunately it looks like it does this at the cost of being the least powerful of the three.

@Waccoon
The reason I mentioned casual and non-gamers in regards to the controller is that Nintendo has made a lot of noise about the high button count of modern controllers putting off this end of the market. Their stated justification for the remote control shape is to make it more approachable and recognizable to this crowd. However, by adding on all the dongles it seems to me they've just made things more complicated than they were before which kind of defeats the whole point.

I do think fewer buttons can be better. My point was that current FPS games have too many functions to stuff on the Revolution controller well and I don't think that will change soon since most FPS games start out on the PC (which of course has plenty of buttons).

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2005, 03:23:54 PM »
@koaftder and Waccoon

I think you 2 are getting multi-threaded and multi-core confused.  They are not the same and does require special programming.  Having branch predicters reside outside of the cores allows the branch predicter to send a code segment to one core for execution automatically where as on the 360, this will not happen and is up to the developers in there own code to decide on the compiler level.  This goes back to In-Order-Executing vs. Out-Of-Order...

So on revolution, code will always take advantage of multiple cores...having a larger cache (and branch predicters) is also what makes this possible and why I (in another thread...possibly earlier in this one) said a 2.5Ghz G5-based Revolution cpu will initially outperform first the 3.2GHz 360 and PS3 cpus.

It's like comparing my 2.2GHz Athlon 3400+ to a Pentium 3.4GHz.  It's not just about MHz or GHz.  Sony and MS are in a #'s war.  It's mostly a marketing war.  Obviously, alot of people are buying into it.

AMD has had multi-core processors for years, no one had to worry about it because their branch-prediction took care of all that stuff.  This is why I call the Revolution cpu "traditional".  It's just like a desktop cpu.  A chip that you see on the outside is made up of cores, cache branch preditors and other stuff.  Read the article posted a few posts ago (which oddly seems to put Revolution's hardware design in quite a favorable light is you ask me).  IBM can make any kind of PPC cpu you like just by playing with the components that goes into the chip "package".  They can make a streaming media cpu, server cpu, or general-purpose workstation cpu out of the same PPE core.

Sony, MS and Nintendo have gone in different directions with their cpus.  It will be survival of the fittest.  May the best platform win.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2005, 05:12:00 PM »
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=12670

Interesting how game sharing will work just like the DS.  I'm assuming multiple Revolutions in the same Wi-Fi zone, not over the internet...