Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: software 3D for Warp3D???  (Read 10364 times)

Description:

Offline GlaucusTopic starter

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
software 3D for Warp3D???
« on: October 24, 2002, 07:17:00 AM »
Hey, I was wondering if it's possible to get a software rendering driver for Warp3D?  I remember that FreeSpace had an optional software renderer for use with Warp3D.  I looked at the Warp3D archives on Aminet and they state 3D hardware only.  Is there a 3rd part software renderer out there?  Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

edit: Btw, this should be a 680x0 software renderer.  I see there's a PPC renderer on Aminet which is of little use to me as I don't own a PPC.  :-(

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline MagicSN

• Show only replies by MagicSN
Re: software 3D for Warp3D???
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2002, 09:30:36 AM »
Hi!

Yes, Freespace optionally supports Warp3D.

The Software Renderer for Warp3D is PPC-only.
This software renderer is not done by the Warp3D-Team, but by a 3rd-Party. I am quite sure
though that something concerning a 68k version could be reached with the author *assuming the Amithlon author licence Warp3D*.

They told us that they are not
interested in licencing Warp3D. Even after the Warp3D team gave up on this, I tried discussing
this issue several times, but always got the same
answer "We are not interested in licencing it".

Steffen Haeuser

Offline Mad-Matt

• Show only replies by Mad-Matt
    • http://www.madmatt.cjb.net
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2002, 09:49:15 AM »
Its good to know the Amithlon auther has his priorities straight.   He obviously knows a 68k renderer running under emu on x86 would totaly kill anychance of anyone buying new amiga hardware.  Its of no use at all for current 68k owners.  but why buy new ppc hardware when an emu can do everything includng playing ya favurate 3d game at speeds possably faster then real ppc amiga .

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2002, 10:04:19 AM »
Its good to know the Amithlon auther has his priorities straight. He obviously knows a 68k renderer running under emu on x86 would totaly kill anychance of anyone buying new amiga hardware. Its of no use at all for current 68k owners. but why buy new ppc hardware when an emu can do everything includng playing ya favurate 3d game at speeds possably faster then real ppc amiga .

That had nothing to do with consideration for the PPC platform, which will have too look out for itself.

The decision was a combination of two factors:

- technical Warp3D only supports a limited range of 3D hardware architectures. In order to make it work, Amithlon would have had to be limited to that narrow range of gfx cards, which are not exactly top-of-the-tree. Since Hyperion understandably could not offer extended support, the deal didn't look all that attractive.

- political To put it plainly, the publishers of Amithlon, who were supposed to pay all other 3rd party licenses, were not interested in paying for this one. Equally, at the time the authors would not have been interested in paying out any sums they could not recover from sales.

Both those situations tend to change over time, as all things do. You never know what the future may or may not bring.
 :-P
Bill Hoggett

Offline Mad-Matt

• Show only replies by Mad-Matt
    • http://www.madmatt.cjb.net
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2002, 10:18:08 AM »
Well putting Amithlon asside and moving to uae. The latest evisio to the jit engine in Winuae makes it almost as fast as amithlon and being a full emu its probably the better choice anyway.

In regards to Warp3D, it to could damage the ppc market with a 68k Warp3d driver.   After all id imagine it simplier to make since the Warp3d driver would only need to wrap to DirectX from within uae. making all dx supported 3d cards work

Offline GlaucusTopic starter

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2002, 06:28:33 PM »
Hmmm....  Well I always thought you could get the software renderer to work under WinUAE.  In fact I'm sure I got it working.  Am I confused here or what?!?  I know that I ran FreeSpace under WinUAE, so how did it render all that 3D stuff???

Anyway, the reason I want this is because I'd like to develop a game with 3D support but I have no 3D cards for the Amiga.  However I do have WinUAE which I use as an Amiga development system mostly because it's way better then my real Amiga4000.  So if I could use a software renderer for Warp3D under WinUAE that would be gret for me, but now I might just have to abandon the Amiga entirely and make a DirectX version instead.  :(

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE