Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 3.9 Boing Bag #3  (Read 31070 times)

Description:

Offline GulliverTopic starter

AmigaOS 3.9 Boing Bag #3
« on: May 30, 2008, 01:36:57 AM »
AmigaOS 3.9 Boing Bag #3 - UPDATED 03-DIC-2009
====================
NO WARRANTIES: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Well, it seems pretty clear nowadays (may 29th 2008), Amiga Inc is going nowhere, and there is not even a clear path of upgrade for Classic Amiga 68k users. So I decided to recreate an Amiga Boing Bag list that could include nearly all current semi-official patches for 3.9. Caution has been taken to avoid the use of patches that may cause problems, but then i can guarantee nothing.
This Boing Bag has been tested on both an A1200 and UAE with different configurations, and it works beatifully!
A word of warning: This list was created in an attempt to create a post AmigaOS 3.9 boing
bag #2 update, its proper installation requires of a skilled Amiga user!
For futher details keep on reading this document.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To get the latest updates, downloads and information, visit: http://lilliput.host-cafe.com

__________________________________________________________________________________________

AMIGAOS 3.9 BOING BAGS I & II

AMIGAOS 3.9 PROGRAM UPDATES

AHI 6.7

AMPlifier 2.35
somehow download and install the AmiKit package, its in there, just take the time to etxract & replace your AMPlifier files from over there.

XADmaster V12.1a + XADmaster.key.

AWeb APL Lite 3.5 (version 3.5.09)

Action (MooVId) 1.6
Added support for: INTEL INDEO 3.1 & 3.2 (IV31/IV32), JPEG/JFIF (MOV) 8/24bit, QT3/QT4/QT5 streaming MOV files, 3IVX Delta 1/2 (3iv1), QT 64bit filesupport, OpenDivx/DIVX4/DIVX5.xx (DIVX/DX50),  MPEG4/MPEG4 V1 (DIV1/MPG4/MP41), MPEG4 V2 (MP42), MPEG4 V2 (MP43), MPEGI/Layer2 audio (mp2), MPEGI/Layer3 audio (mp3), Sorenson Codecs (QT/SVQ1), MPEG4/QT6, and lots of bugs got fixed & few new features.

A file named "3ivx1d3_codec_68k Moovid.lha" that is the 3iv1 Delta 3 codec distribution for 68k Amigas and works with MooVid

AMIGAOS 3.9 REPLACEMENTS:

Serial.device v43.7 is buggy and is causing modem connection problems. Use previous serial.device v43.4, which allows you to connect fine.

There are two sets of printer drivers on the 3.9 CD:
The drivers in: AmigaOS3.9:Emergency-Boot/Devs/Printers/ are the original drivers from the OS 3.5 CD, and should work fine.
The drivers in: AmigaOS3.9:OS-Version3.9/Workbench3.9/Storage/Printers/ are from Boing Bag 1, and are known to be buggy.

For omniscsi.device users (GVP scsi boards & adapters), there is a bug in PlayCD, and a workaround called "playcdkludge"

There is a  new appp.device  v3.4 which has  a new function that lets you use long usernames  and  activates  a  DSL-mode  that  negotiates the necessary  options  for a DSL line with the dialup computer.

AMIGAOS 3.9 UPDATE PATCHES

Amigaguide.datatype 45.6 - Fixes race condition with amigaguide.datatype V45.5: some guide
documents are not displayed properly if their size is odd.

Genesis has packet fragmentation issues. There is a fix for that

Icon.library 46.4a - Icon/Copy takes ICONCTRLA_SetGlobalMaxNameLength into account now, plus many fixes, no more memory leaks using Deficons tool etc. IconBeFast like functionality. it is optimized for 68020+ and is romable

MultiView 45.10 - Many fixes

Rexxsyslib.library 44.2 - fixes longword write into unallocated memory

Workbench.library 45.131 - Too many fixes

The CacheCDFS shipped in OS 3.9 always mounts a CD as "Unnamed" if its
name consists of identical characters (e.g. "Q", "GG", "WWW", ...).

Asyncio.library 40.6 - few bug fixes

Awn-pipe 2.54 – Adds new features to this pipe and GUI generator

Say – Boingbag3 marks the return of the popular speech program, that now supports different accents.

Workbench.guide – A general help guide for BoingBag3 users, should be placed into SYS:Locale/Help/english/Sys/. So from now on, pressing the Amiga keyboard ¨Help¨ key, will make this workbench.guide, to automatically be displayed.

KICKSTART ROM UPDATES

Scsci.device 44.2- Adds proper LBA48 IDE support, so disks upto 144 petabytes (144,000,000 gigabytes)can be used. NOTE:HDToolbox works fine (at least up to 160GB) Some version create stupid default partitions but just manually delete them before creating "real" partitions. It also fixes a bug that overwrites memory past the allocated bytes. Adds speedyIDE optimizations

Shell 45.27 - Too many bugfixes to list

RAM-Handler 44.24 - Fixes the RAM disk to show the real size occupied - its no longer
100% full.

Console.device 44.10 - Fixed bug with rp_Font usage; console caches rp_Font of last opener's window in its own device base and could make use of it even after that window was closed. This could lead to race conditions such as accessing unallocated memory. For safety, this cached rp_Font copy is reset to gb_DefaultFont on each CloseDevice() now. It also fixes an ancient bug of console.device which doesn't reset text styles on CSI0m if aSDSS command was used.

FastFileSystem 45.15 - fixes mismatched memory deallocations and disk validation bug of FastFileSystem V45.13.

FUTURE
I hope someday someone can actually create an automated install script that installs all of this stuff!
If you happen to develop or meet by chance a cool and friendly AmigaOS 3.9 patch, then dont hesitate to add it to this list.
Hopefully i might release an AmigaOS 3.9 Boing Bag 3 contribution software list (Some usefull 3rd party software for 3.9).

CREDITS FOR THEIR PROGRAMS & PATCHES (Thanks to all of them)
Doobrey
Peter Keunecke
Toni Wilen
Chris Hodges
Thomas Richter
Ralph Babel
AWeb APL Development Team
Thorsten Hansen
Dirk Stoecker
László Török
Mikolaj Calusinski
Oliver Roberts
Christian Sauer
Thomas Bickel
Ratte
The AHI Team
MM

THE AUTHOR
I wish to remain anonymous, i am doing this as a contribution to our small Amiga
community. I hope someone finds it usefull.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:51:09 AM by Gulliver »

Offline ManRaven

• Show only replies by ManRaven
Re: AmigaOS 3.9 Boing Bag #3
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:34:24 AM »
Thanks for all the work you did on this.
Would be nice if this could be on a web page somewhere.
ManRaven

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 02:44:05 AM »
There's also this. A little out of date now, but still useful.

Thanks for finding out the changes for the AmiKit patches. I'd been looking at them but there was no indication of what they did. I might actually install them now. ;-)

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 03:10:13 AM »
user Nlandas said on another thread, he might build a web site with this info, i already sent him a private message regarding the availability of this data.

I am glad you found it usefull! :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 03:35:04 AM »
Thank you Gulliver!

I hope Nlandas does create a site for this information, I am surprised that no one has done so in the past.  It will be great to have such a resource and hopefully support for this effort will grow.

Any chance you will begin work on an automated install script for all these updates and patches?
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 05:46:16 AM »

ManRaven wrote:
Would be nice if this could be on a web page somewhere.

See here.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Jiffy

• Show only replies by Jiffy
    • http://clausewitz.nl
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 07:44:32 AM »

weirdami wrote:
See here.

:-D
Life sucks. Then you die. Then they throw mud in your face. Then you get eaten by worms. Be happy it happens in that order... My Amiga 1200

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 11:05:26 PM »
@amigadave

I will try to make a script, but it will be painfull as hell for me as i dont know how to, but anyway, i will give it a try (but expect nothing as outcome).
It would be a hell of a lot easier if someone actually had the knowledge to make the install script/program and gives it a try.

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 12:40:33 PM »

Gulliver wrote:
user Nlandas said on another thread, he might build a web site with this info, i already sent him a private message regarding the availability of this data.

I am glad you found it usefull! :)

Message received - I didn't see this second updated thread. I've created a quick site basically just your message for now. I'll move all files internally if allowed to keep broken links from occuring and see what else could be updated based on future information.

Hopefully, Gulliver or someone can make a script to add to it.

-Nyle

Very rough Amiga web page. (BE KIND)
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline Phantom

• Show only replies by Phantom
    • http://l9memorial.if-legends.org/html/home.html
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 12:51:35 PM »
Thanks, although I remember the site mentioned above, but I will give it a try. I don't like installers though. :-)
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 02:01:05 PM »

Phantom wrote:
Thanks, although I remember the site mentioned above, but I will give it a try. I don't like installers though. :-)

Wow, you must be psychic phantom because I just created the site today. :-)

I can understand the dislike for installers but the plan would be to offer both the manual install files and the installer script for non-Amiga Gurus. :-D

-Nyle
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline Phantom

• Show only replies by Phantom
    • http://l9memorial.if-legends.org/html/home.html
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 02:18:51 PM »
Wow, you must be psychic phantom because I just created the site today.

Maybe... :crazy:
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures

Offline BooBoo1200

• Show only replies by BooBoo1200
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 04:55:06 PM »
Ive always wanted off screen window dragging - Are there any tools that allow this on OS3.9?

Offline _Steve_

• Show only replies by _Steve_
    • http://www.amigaworld.net/
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 05:22:19 PM »
PowerWindows allows you to drag windows off to the right and bottom of the screen only, (not off the left edge or top edge).

An updated version PowerWindowsNG will allow you to use any direction, but you need to patch the ROM to handle it.

Offline meega

• Show only replies by meega
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 05:46:09 PM »

BooBoo1200 wrote:
Ive always wanted off screen window dragging - Are there any tools that allow this on OS3.9?

SYS:Prefs/ScreenMode ?
:)