Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any news on future release of OS4 netbook or on Natami?  (Read 22672 times)

Description:

Offline kedawa

• Show all replies
Re: Any news on future release of OS4 netbook or on Natami?
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:05:56 PM »
So how about that OS4 Netbook or that mythical FPGA super Amiga I've heard so much about?

As far as I'm concerned, anything running OS4 is an expensive novelty that I just can't justify purchasing, but an FPGA successor to the classic Amiga is an expensive novelty which I will find a way to justify purchasing.

Offline kedawa

• Show all replies
Re: Any news on future release of OS4 netbook or on Natami?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 11:43:24 PM »
I don't understand why people are in such a rush to become dependant on a network and cloud services that they don't actually need.  The idea of having to pay for data access so that I can get my files to my device from the 'cloud' is just absurd to me.  Give me enough space to store everything I need so I don't need to get gouged by the telcos when I want to listen to an mp3 on the bus.

You want to talk about convenience?  Why can't these devices sync wirelessly to my home server directly instead of using some dubious online service?  I'll tell you why: greedy tech companies want to monetize things that are currently free.  This is why I don't like android.  Sure, it's a solid enough platform, but it's controlled by a company that ultimately wants to sell advertising and services, not hardware.  The new Nexus tablets don't even have SD card slots, presumably so the user is forced to constantly shuffle data in and out of the cloud.

The funny thing is, though, I can't wait for these devices to become the standard for the average user, so that desktops can get back to being awesome workstations for geeks instead of the continually dumbed-down internet box for grandma.