Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My evening with Commodore USA, LLC  (Read 40179 times)

Description:

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
Re: My evening with Commodore USA, LLC
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 06, 2011, 06:13:35 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;613212
Ah, shall we drag Genesi in too?

Hyperion won in court, that's good enough for me.

I don't expect a long-term MOS fanboy to agree with me.

However, what do you think of C-USA's Workbench 5 marketing?  Perhaps they could call it "Morph Workbench 5"?

So it is good enough for you that hyperion had a legal right, but CUSAs legal right means nothing? I dont expect an off-his-rocker OS4 fanboy to agree with me.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;613216
And when have Hyperion, Cloanto, or A-Eon been held up as exemplary niche computer businesses, exactly? Providing a differentiated product line could give C-USA the opportuntity to do something that they don't: serve more than one segment of the market. There are people here who would be happy to run Linux with an emulator on an x86 box, and more power to them (and to C-USA, if they're just serving that need and not trying to promote themselves as the True Successor.) But there are also a lot of people who'd like to see something else that's closer to the original Amiga, and their options are woefully limited. If Barry is such a successful businessman, he might have the potential to see through some of these community projects to completion and make them available to all the people who want them, not just the few that get their hands on developer prototypes and testing boards while waiting for the real thing to finally be available.

Or, you know, he could follow your example, shrug his shoulders, say "x86 wins, why bother, nothing good ever came of doing something different," and go with what everybody else does.

Trying to offer a differentiated product line is also a great way to ensure you never get off the ground. It takes a lot of money to do this stuff. He should focus on what has the best chances right now.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 06:25:34 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;613217
Dear sock puppet.  This has already been answered.  Please look up "ethics".

Stop calling me a sock puppet, darrin.

You know nothing of ethics, if you think attacking a company that doesnt even remotely appeal to you is ethical. Barry Altman is starting a company he is doing it how he wants to.

You arent doing anything but sitting back and whining. You aren't trying to start a company, you aren't doing anything for the community.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
I have answered your question several times, you dont seem to actually be reading my posts.
He doesn't have money to do very much hardware development, noone does.
Natami and others are dream projects that more hobby than business.
And he is the one starting the company, putting his own money into it not us. He makes all the choices, and is targetting more than just us, he wants to sell people outside of what we consider the community.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 07:43:31 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;613229
OK, let's start again all civil.

The hardware development for Minimig and FPGA Arcade have already been done and they already exist as functioning models with a development team behind them.

He can sell all he wants outside of the Amiga community using the Commodore brand and he has the potential market of old Amiga users to sell to using custom cases and FPGA based "Amigas" running OS3.x.

The big issue is this Workbench 5 rubbish and promoting AmigaForver type products as the "new generation" Amiga OS when it clearly isn't.

Ive been civil almost this whole time, you are the one calling people scum and sock puppets.  I do welcome civility, but at this point I dont really expect it..

You are going to have to post some links to your claims of what Workbench 5 and Amiga Forever. I've checked out CUSAs site and I see them calling the line a "reboot and reimagining" and saying that Workbench 5 is a stable OS, they dont say what it is. Where do they say it is new generation?
They do say it is modern and has a Microsoft campatible office suite which I would assume means it is linux and open office.

nothing here:
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_OS.aspx

or here:
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Amiga.aspx

I thnk you are reading alot into what they are saying.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 03:31:02 AM »
Quote from: danwood;613365
Simply not true, AmigaOs 4.x not only retains source codes, file structures, and pretty much everything from the Commodore days, but it also runs Amiga apps. This "Workbench 5" Linux distro will not run any Amiga apps, it will run Linux apps, therefore your insistence that Workbench 5 is no less an "Amiga" than Os4 is total bollocks. Os4 may not be made by commodore/amiga, but it IS the Amiga OS we've known and loved for the last three decades, I can still run my 1985 version of Graphicraft on it if I want to, along with Deluxe Paint, Wordworth, Imagine etc. Os4 is still the same Amiga operating system, just recompiled for Ppc.

You are quite late to this stupid discussion, took an old post of mine totally out of context and got it all wrong... good job.

I never said workbench 5 was amiga, in fact I said it was linux, with open office.

what I did say was amiga was OS4, MOS and Aros. Aros shares as much as OS4 with OS3.x as OS4 does. Same reimplimented but same function code, file structures, pretty much everything from commodore days. MOS I don't know as much but from what I understand is similar. Aros is practically the same amiga os recompiled for x86 mostly and mos is for PPC Both are the same as the amiga os we have known and loved for 25yrs.

Your attack on my logic is "bollocks"
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 03:52:55 PM »
Quote from: Dandy;614312
Even the Commodore of old just bought the Amiga technology (hard- and software) - it wasn't their development.

The tie wearing idiots that called themselves "manager" drove the company to the ground with their incompetence.

So I don't care for Commodore - neither for the old one, nor for the latest (re-)incarnation of that corpse.

They were just one owner of the Amiga technology in a long row and the fact that their latest re-incarnation  deals/dealt with that Amino/AInc/Itec/KMOS/AInc/Amino scam company doesn't really help to make me feel better about them...

All that I associate the name "Commodore" with are stupid business decisions followed by the downfall.

What counts for me most is that the "spirit" of Amiga lives on in the updates to the AmigaOS and the HW it runs on.

Hmmmm - so you're saying my Amiga 4000 with 68060 cpu and PPC604e cpu isn't real?

Ok lets see if we can tie your nonsense together and respond here.

OS4 on an amiga 4000 ppc runs on the ppc, amigas are 68k machines, commodore never released a ppc machine, so os4 runs on a non-commodore, non-amiga, component slapped onto the side of your cpu. If I ran Windows on a bridgeboard in an Amiga 3000 does that mean that Amiga's run Windows?

As for your who developed Amiga stupidity, no Amiga did not originate with Commodore, but 99 percent of the development, including ALL of the actual computer models and ALL of the OS releases except for 3.5,3.9, Aros, MOS, and OS4 were by Commodore.

I know the history of Amiga as well as you, but I'm not quite as pedantic.

The rest of your comments were so stupid and nitpicky I won't even comment on them.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2011, 03:55:23 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;614385
I'm late to this party, mostly because I don't care enough about the religious wars to get involved again. But I have read through the thread now and I think only Kronos really raises any interesting questions.

Here's my tuppence worth... This guy, Barry, seems like a reasonable bloke with a bit of cash and bordom on his side. He doesn't know much about the retro commodore scene but thinks there might be a Market for some vintage styled equipment. He sees it as a fun little hobby to keep him busy and he clearly has motivation to make a product.
IMHO I think all the whingers here should just shut up and let him do something, you never know, he might make an intereting product... If he fails to deliver then, definitely give him crap for it...

As for the religious crap about "true Amiga", that got real old about 6 years ago. No current project has "direct lineage" with the old Commodore Amiga, and in fact all the current projects have shared code/ideas to the point that they are more closely relatedto each other than to the "One true Amiga"(tm)...

Take care! ;)

Well put bloodline, +1
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)