Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Partitioning new HD for Linux & AmigaForever/WinUAE  (Read 852 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Partitioning new HD for Linux & AmigaForever/WinUAE
« on: January 27, 2007, 04:27:32 AM »
Just installed a new 250gb SATA HD in my monster Dell tower XPS 700, Core2Duo w/2gb RAM and 2-7900GS videocards tied together (SLI), because I wanted to keep my alternative OSes off my primary 160gb Windows Media 2005 HD.  Now I am looking for ideas on how I should partition and format the 250gb SATA drive to prepare it for installing Linux, QNX and of course WinUAE/AmigaForever 2006? (Actually WinUAE will be installed and run from the other HD under Windows, but I want it to use dedicated Amiga HD partitions on this new 250gb HD)

I realize that I only need a fraction of that huge drive for Amiga programs and files, but I want opinions on what would be the best plan.  I want to be able to use the Amiga emulation to the fullest of its potential.  That means keeping partion sizes inside the emulation down below the 2gb size limit so I won't have problems with AmigaOS 1.3 and 2.04 to play some games and use older programs.  I will usually be using AmigaOS 3.9, but want all options of WinUAE available to me.

I am thinking that perhaps 3 or 4, 2gb partitions will probably be all I will ever need formatted for the Amiga.  I have never used dedicated partitions for WinUAE, formatted in an Amiga file system format before, so this will be a first for me and any advice and/or tips will be appreciated.  I have PSFv3 so that is what I am planning on formatting the Amiga partitions with.  Do I first format with HDToolBox and FFS, then reformat with PFSv3? (I just purchased PSFv3 and have never used it before)

As for Linux and QNX, or any other OSes that I might want to install and try out, the balance of the 250gb should be plenty of room for a while. 100gb for Linux (I purchased SUSE 9.3 on DVD last year but have not installed it yet), 50gb for QNX and just leave the rest unpartitioned until needed.

What do you all think?  Best Boot Loaders?  Do I even have an option using SUSE 9.3 or later?

How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Partitioning new HD for Linux & AmigaForever/WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 06:59:33 AM »
Bump!

Please give me your opinions and ideas.  I'll be installing SUSE 9.3 tomorrow and hope to find my AmigaForever 2006 CD & DVD's later in the day.  The Catweasle MkIV is installed and ready to go.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline guru-666

• Show only replies by guru-666
Re: Partitioning new HD for Linux & AmigaForever/WinUAE
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 07:15:52 AM »
what can I say, sounds like you have a good plan.  You can send me the setup and I will sort it out for you    ;-)

I too am looking a good boot selector.
Are you going to install amigalon with that QNX install?
If so, I don't know if it will work with that GFX setup, I remember something about it only working on old nvidea cards. Maybe there a patch by now.
If you get a chance to test it, I wonder if winUEA can be run with wine.

good luck and let us know.