Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore 1084s-D1 High-pitch whine FIXED!  (Read 1498 times)

Description:

Offline OverkillTopic starter

• Show only replies by Overkill
Re: Commodore 1084s-D1 High-pitch whine FIXED!
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 16, 2024, 10:55:03 AM »
I shouldn't have listened to Google, everywhere it said "high-pitch whine = bad flyback", but the original flyback was fine :)

So, it turned out to just be that transistor in the EW circuit and the diode in the HOT circuit :D

It sounds like I could have used the new flyback, but I would have had to change the value of the tuning capacitor in the HOT circuit.

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated :D :)

Offline OverkillTopic starter

• Show only replies by Overkill
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2024, 12:26:10 PM »
Looks like I need to find VR323 :)

Offline AmigaBruno

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2024, 12:48:26 PM »
This topic reminded me of my own high pitched whine on my Commodore 1084S (not 1084S-D1) monitor back in the day, so I thought I should reply, to tell everyone what cured it, in case that helps.

I bought my Amiga A500 package from Silica Shop while my Dad was dying of Cancer in hospital. He never returned home. It came with both the Tenstar Games Pack (including Barbarian by Palace, Mercenary, Insanity Fight, Amegas, and Ikari Warriors) and Photon Paint. It was delivered in a van in some cardboard boxes marked ATARI! After setting it up, I noticed a high pitched noise coming from the monitor. I think this was going on all the time, but it wasn't that noticeable, almost ultrasonic and I just put up with it. The monitor also had one dead pixel.

Several months later, after my Dad died, I moved out of the family home into my first flat, because my Mum was planning to move to a very remote area, so I needed to get my own home in London or be assimilated, meaning lose my whole identity. This involved most of my belongings being loaded into a small van, then being driven from SE London to NE London. The flat was on the first floor, up a short flight of stairs.

After setting up my Amiga in my new flat, I discovered that the high pitched whine had permanently stopped!

Of course, there are no new Commodore 1084S monitors nowadays, but this might just help someone who owns one of these monitors which has a high pitched whine.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:49:30 PM by AmigaBruno »