Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga A2000 + GVP SCSI HD Controller  (Read 3905 times)

Description:

Offline BoingBoss

• Show all replies
    • http://home.comcast.net/~doom2fan/
Re: Amiga A2000 + GVP SCSI HD Controller
« on: July 28, 2004, 11:59:58 PM »
Hi AF,

Yes, the Amiga 2000 computer does indeed support a hard disk.  My advice to you is to sell the GVP controller and buy yourself a Commodore A2091 SCSI Controller board.  You can usually pick them up on eBay for around $10.00 to $15.00.  Or if you personally like GVP then get a GVP 68030 or 68040 Combo board.  If you do get an A2091 card, make sure that it has at least the 6.6 boot ROMs and at least a revision 04 Western Digital controller chip.  Also make sure it has at least 512K of DRAM installed for faster disk access.  The A2091 board autoconfigs, so the Amiga 2000 Series computer will recognize it immediately.  It is truly "Plug 'N' Play".   :-D
My favorite TV shows:  Star Trek Voyager, Forever Knight, Stargate SG1, Married with Children, As Time Goes By, Mr. Bean, Smallville, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Xena

Offline BoingBoss

• Show all replies
    • http://home.comcast.net/~doom2fan/
Re: Amiga A2000 + GVP SCSI HD Controller
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 02:09:51 AM »
Hi AdMartin,

By no means should you get a Commodore controller. It will most likely be necessary to upgrade the ROMs and/or the WD chip on it for it to work properly.

This is simply NOT TRUE!  About 99% of all of the A2091 boards that I have tested work really well and I have never had any problems with them.  In fact, they are such good SCSI boards that many Amiga 4000 owners use them.  The Commodore A2091 SCSI Controller board IS one of the best and was specifically designed for the Amiga 2000 and 3000 computers (the Amiga 3000 has the A2091 circuitry on its motherboard).  I myself have had more problems with the GVP boards then with the Commodore boards.  I have tried other SCSI controller boards, but I find myself always going back to the good old reliable A2091 card.  IT WORKS AND IT WORKS REALLY WELL !!!! :-D
My favorite TV shows:  Star Trek Voyager, Forever Knight, Stargate SG1, Married with Children, As Time Goes By, Mr. Bean, Smallville, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Xena