Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS ahead of AROS?  (Read 28156 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show all replies
Re: MorphOS ahead of AROS?
« on: April 03, 2012, 12:48:48 PM »
Quote from: Mazze;686743
Hi,

I've read several times from the blue smurf propaganda department that MorphOS is so way ahead of AROS. Care to elaborate?

/me says hello to Blue Smurf Mazze :)

Anyway, to me AROS is lacking on Wanderer, MUI and Intuition department. Zune requires more work to support all MUI3 features since it makes porting software to AROS bit cumbersome sometimes. I.e. basics like screennotify.library support is missing and Zune windows are not autoclosing when adjusting screen mode or window decorations.

I dont know if alpha blending blit calls or dos64 api is supported in AROS. 64-bit dos api is not that important. It has been in MorphOS for years but in the end most of time you dont need large file support.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;686755
Wanderer is one of the weak points and MUI-Support (Zune). There is a Scalos-port that i hope to test at easter and Zune-Update is in development. So I am sure that these issues will be solved.

Lets discuss it when it is done. Scalos is OK (more advanced than Workbench and Wanderer) but certain problems dont go away until Intuition/Zune is updated.

Btw,
It has also UAE integration (Janus-UAE), it can be combined with Linux, it offers X86 and ARM-Support (propably you forgot to mention...)

This was why I was curious to try Icaros on my laptop but you have to buy Amiga Forever to use it. Until Amiga Forever dependency is replaced by Aros68k distribution I dont consider it very practical...

In the end installing Icaros is very easy but 68k support should be built-in without having to buy external software.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:01:00 PM by itix »

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 01:12:09 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;686758
I have worked a lot in Aros 68k (but in WinUAE). I am right now finishing my Aros 68k distribution (hopefully at easter) and i know that both maintainers (icaros and AspireOS) plan to integrate it so this issue will also be solved in the near future. The combination aros 68k / kickstart replacement is of course not 100% compatible but a lot of programs (and games) work with it.

I know. I am not so much interested on games because I can play old games on my Amiga 500. What is interesting to me is running some old 68k software I might need but then problem is that you can not mix 68k and AROS native libraries... and in fact if I install 68k software using Installer will it install files over AROS native files?

Nevertheless having some 68k integration in AROS is better than none ;-)

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;686763
"and in fact if I install 68k software using Installer will it install files over AROS native files?" I do not understand. For software it is feeling like a normal 68k environment and it is no problem to install 68k software there. I do not know the 68k integration in Icaros but when it is similar to WinUAE then you work in your own environment and not mixing it with the X86 outside world.

To my understanding I could run (almost) any 68k software from AROS desktop just by doubleclicking on its icon. I dont care what executes the software in the background as long as it feels like native one sharing clipboard, screens, whatever.

You cannot destroy Windows by installing amiga-software. All other concepts would be extremely dangerous. You cannot mix X86 and 68k libs.

On Amithlon you can ;)

@tmhgm

They are UAE emulation boxes. On the other hand as long as emulation boxes are hidden under the hood it doesnt matter how it is implemented.

But indeed it is not seamless and transparent like it is in MOS/OS4. To AROS users 68k support is running 68k software directly from Wanderer, to OS4/MOS user 68k support is installing 68k components as part of your system.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:44:50 PM by itix »

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »
By the way...

Quote from: OlafS3;686957
Features:

Aros:
I think the main advantages (between others) are that (...) and 3D support.

I've read several times from the black furry propaganda department that 3D support in AROS is so way ahead. Care to elaborate?

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 07:22:05 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;687001
the discussion was not about "my OS is better than ..." anymore. But if you want...  Aros has full Mesa and Gallium3D support and MorphOS not. But MorphOS has a lot of features that Aros has not...

I didnt mean it too seriously ;) Wondering how Mesa and Gallium3D in AROS would compare with TinyGL/Goa in MorphOS.

Offline itix

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 08:01:28 PM »
Quote from: billyfish;687009
I don't know either! Iggy, Itix and TMHG, what are the MorphOS features/software that stand out for you?

I dont know... I have been using MorphOS so many years now it is difficult think anything else. But maybe the most important software to me is MUI. I have always loved MUI and developed MUI software some 15 years now. Even console window in MorphOS is using MUI. Another is 68k compatibility in source and binary level without noticing difference. Third is GeekGadgets. Someone may find GeekGadgets cumbersome but I love it when I can run configure scripts from MorphOS shell and get my stuff done.