Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Latest OWB on MorphOS equipped MacMini - not good  (Read 5532 times)

Description:

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Latest MorphOS on MacMini - all but done
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »
@save2600

It looks like you've already made up your mind, but if you want to verify something it might be worth checking the system by booting it off the MorphOS CD. If that works then it's likely just some 3rd party component or installed software that's messing things up and it should be possible to either reinstall or figure out which 3rd party component is causing the trouble.

If the CD booted system crashes a lot as well then it is likely that the HW is having issues. Finally, MorphOS does have bugs and you might have run into some. If it is reproducable issue (with a CD boot or fresh install, and doesn't appear to be a HW issue) we'd be very interested to get a bug report about it.

Support is available via a mailing list and some other channels. In most cases visiting freenode #morphos IRC channel (european evening hours) will get your help the fastest.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 11:48:39 AM »
save2600

Umm it must be an hw or configuration problem. HTML5 vids work nicely on owb with my peg2 so dont really know why you are posting so dramtically???
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 11:54:37 AM »
akiko

How can you guys slander a developer of Piru stature? He has done much for "amiga" and is a quite sensible and classy guy.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline realstar

• Show only replies by realstar
    • http://members.shaw.ca/realstar
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 12:04:02 PM »
Definately use the youtube.js and youtube_fullscreen.js scripts. HTML5 is sluggish and the audio cuts out sometimes wheras these scripts will make youtube work near flawless.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 12:09:36 PM »
@save2600

I just wanted to add to what all others have said, that you should really read the Odyssey readme file. You will learn a lot about how getting the most out of the Odyssey browser. Good luck! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 01:43:22 PM »
Sorry all for the drunken rant last night! Post was bad too. Should have read: Latest OWB on my MorphOS system really sucks!  :lol:

Thanks Piru, I'll give this another shot and get back to you regarding error logs and what it's doing before the crash one of these days. Thing is, this computer is hooked to a big screen in the basement where I wanted company that comes over, to be able to see how slick the OS is. But like I said, it's been going downhill after the latest install of OWB. All I really ever use the system for is the occasional game (can't even get vector graphics games to work in MAME) and really light internet usage. In fact, I only mentioned YouTube because that's one of the few things I might try to use with OWB, but haven't in quite some time. No, the latest version of OWB is crashing my system during a Wikipedia or Facebook session. Renders both my system and the wireless ethernet box completely useless. Icons will go missing or behave improperly too. Have to reboot after letting the computer AND the wireless card sit for a while. It's very aggravating.  

Oh and Gizmo... screw Leopard on a PPC Mac. Been there, done that. It sucks and Apple sucks for only releasing the update for Intel based Mac's. I'd have been REAL pissed had I paid retail and was ditched shortly after. 10.4.11 Tiger runs perfect on my PPC's however, so I wouldn't mind putting that on the Mini. Don't have a disc though  :(

In the meantime, my offer still stands to sell if anyone wants it: 1.25ghz, 40gb HD, MorphOS clean install with latest Ultimate Pack.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:24:45 PM by save2600 »

Offline tone007

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 02:26:22 PM »
I bet Ubuntu would run pretty nicely on that MacMini.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »
Dude, never drink & Amiga.org!

This place is angry enough when I'm sober! ;)

Quote from: save2600;657372
Sorry all for the drunken rant last night! Post was bad too. Should have read: Latest OWB on my MorphOS system really sucks!  :lol:

Thanks Piru, I'll give this another shot and get back to you regarding error logs and what it's doing before the crash one of these days. Thing is, this computer is hooked to a big screen in the basement where I wanted company that comes over, to be able to see how slick the OS is. But like I said, it's been going downhill after the latest install of OWB. All I really ever use the system for is the occasional game (can't even get vector graphics games to work in MAME) and really light internet usage. In fact, I only mentioned YouTube because that's one of the few things I might try to use with OWB, but haven't in quite some time. No, the latest version of OWB is crashing my system during a Wikipedia or Facebook session. Renders both my system and the wireless ethernet box completely useless. Icons will go missing or behave improperly too. Have to reboot after letting the computer AND the wireless card sit for a while. It's very aggravating.  

Oh and Gizmo... screw Leopard on a PPC Mac. Been there, done that. It sucks and Apple sucks for only releasing the update for Intel based Mac's. I'd have been REAL pissed had I paid retail and was ditched shortly after. 10.4.11 Tiger runs perfect on my PPC's however, so I wouldn't mind putting that on the Mini. Don't have a disc though  :(

In the meantime, my offer still stands to sell if anyone wants it: 1.25ghz, 40gb HD, MorphOS clean install with latest Ultimate Pack.

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »
Quote from: save2600;657372

No, the latest version of OWB is crashing my system during a Wikipedia or Facebook session. Renders both my system and the wireless ethernet box completely useless. Icons will go missing or behave improperly too. Have to reboot after letting the computer AND the wireless card sit for a while. It's very aggravating.  

That's really very odd. I would really suspect a very screwed installation of even hw issue. I say that, because i haven't got any other similar report, and my mac mini machine (running latest OWB) has a 3 weeks uptime, now, and it involved youtube, facebook, random browsing and so on... :)

Anyway, do like piru said and run a vanilla MorphOS 2.7 installation to begin with.

Oh, and about MAME (since i also did the port), it's also funny you don't get it to work. Actually, i haven't tested vector games, but many others like neogeo, cps1&2, psikyo and so on, and they work nicely, especially on a macmini. Maybe you just have wrong rom sets there.

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 03:46:38 PM »
Quote from: Fab;657383

Oh, and about MAME (since i also did the port), it's also funny you don't get it to work. Actually, i haven't tested vector games, but many others like neogeo, cps1&2, psikyo and so on, and they work nicely, especially on a macmini. Maybe you just have wrong rom sets there.

Nah, ROMS are all good... most all games run great, it's just the vector ones that either don't come up at all, stall the system or try to throw a goofy screen setting. I've tried re-adjusting the screenmode prefs (adding new ones also) to no avail too.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »
Quote from: tone007;657375
I bet Ubuntu would run pretty nicely on that MacMini.

Yeah My MacMini is tripple boot with MorpOS 2.7, Mac OS Leopard and Ubuntu 10.4.

However whilst ubuntu runs nicely on it, a lot of things do not work on the ppc version of ubuntu. Obviously WINE, but neither does flash and quite a lot of other things
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
I usually opt for Debian on PPC macs for that reason, much better supported to a point. Yellow Dog Linux is also pretty good too.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 04:09:02 PM »
I don't know if you can use MUI on MOS but everyone over at AW.net is raving over this update of OWB.

Oh, never mind... it's a MOS port for AOS3.1.3

Good news for AOS users though!

@Save.... CHEERS! :pint:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34169&forum=32
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:26:07 PM by gizmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline ck007

• Show only replies by ck007
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »
I know I'm going to cop heaps of grief over this post - but here goes...

I don't know how much laptops costs over there in the USA, but down here in Australia, you can buy a decent laptop for around $500AUD (Fast CPU, 3GB RAM, 500MB HDD and 15" screen) which comes with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Whether you're a Windows fan or not, you cannot deny:

- The O/S is well supported by MS
 - Software support is much better than what you get for a Mac
 - It runs pretty much flawlessly unless you're too much of a person who tinkers
 - You can run WinUAE and MameUI and have the best of three (and more) worlds

I made the mistake of buying a high-end MacBook Pro this year to see what all the fuss is about and have found that I run 90% of my apps using Parallels and BootCamp.

I know there are pros and cons to all operating systems - but Windows 7 has been rock solid and I have no complaints...
:crazy:

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 04:47:17 PM »
And thats OK CK. I hate windows, because NTFS and the system itself rot, in other words the system will eventually slow down to a halt and you have to redo the system. With my Macs, I just use OnyX any time it begins to slow down and it puts it back to the top end. Mac OSX has a more easily used interface, visually appealing without sucking up tons of memory. I also like that I can close my windows of TenFourFox while its downloading and not lose whats being downloaded.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 01, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
I have a triple boot hackintosh running Snow Leopard, Windows 7 and latest Ubuntu. Windows 7 is light years ahead for my engineer taste.

I have a 1.67 Powerbook just waiting for MOS! But, MOS developers are ... really mysterious about the project timeline, so, It's getting dust in the drawer holding a nice Leopard installation.
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)