Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Latest OWB on MorphOS equipped MacMini - not good  (Read 5507 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
Latest OWB on MorphOS equipped MacMini - not good
« on: September 01, 2011, 03:51:27 AM »
Last two months or so, my system has become a completely useless unstable POS. Seemed to happen when I "upgraded" to the latest OWB come to think of it. System crashes at every turn, and I'm only dealing with Facebook, Youtube (under their HTML 5 bull****, which still sucked) and umm... maybe the occasional A.org or AtariAge drop in. Nothing too heavy duty here. Truth be told, I'm no longer in the mood nor am I tolerant of such horse****. Especially when having tech industry geek friends over, trying to sell them on this alternative crap.

Anyone want to take this G4 MacMini and Morph OS license off my hands? All of it's worth $225. I SWEAR it is!  :lol:

At the very least, I'd a copy of MacOS 10.4 to put back on this MacMini. Since I already sprung for the MorphOS license, anyone wanna do a swap of sorts?

My apologies to the MorphOS team if it's just OWB wrecking my system, but like I said - I only just want to deal with stuff that works from here on out.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:01:32 PM by save2600 »

Offline Tension

Re: Latest MorphOS on MacMini - all but done
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 04:07:56 AM »
does morphos play flash videos?!?

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 04:14:44 AM »
Using the ever buggy site dependent HTML 5 protocol it will. But watch a video or two and expect problems. Incredible slowdown of the system. Lag, audio not maching video and eventual systemOS crawl/crash.

Offline Tension

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 04:42:02 AM »
Quote from: save2600;657317
Using the ever buggy site dependent HTML 5 protocol it will. But watch a video or two and expect problems. Incredible slowdown of the system. Lag, audio not maching video and eventual systemOS crawl/crash.

**** that.

Offline kolla

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 04:51:57 AM »
Quote from: save2600;657313
Especially when having tech industry geek friends over, trying to sell them on this alternative crap.

Errr.. what? That's a no-go, not even the tech industry geeks here on this site are buying it :laughing:
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 04:54:55 AM »
Why you buy the license then?
a1200 060

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 04:58:18 AM »
Last two months or so, my system has become a completely useless unstable POS. Seemed to happen when I "upgraded" to the latest OWB come to think of it. System crashes at every turn, and I'm only dealing with Facebook, Youtube (under their HTML 5 bull****, which still sucked) and umm... maybe the occasional A.org or AtariAge drop in. Nothing too heavy duty here. Truth be told, I'm no longer in the mood nor am I tolerant of such horse****. Especially when having tech industry geek friends over, trying to sell them on this alternative crap.

Anyone want to take this G4 MacMini and Morph OS license off my hands? All of it's worth $225. I SWEAR it is!  :lol:

At the very least, I'd a copy of MacOS 10.4 to put back on this MacMini. Since I already sprung for the MorphOS license, anyone wanna do a swap of sorts?

My apologies to the MorphOS team if it's just OWB wrecking my system, but like I said - I only just want to deal with stuff that works from here on out.

If it ran on a Sam or X1000 I'd think about it.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 05:03:05 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;657322
Why you buy the license then?

Because he thought it would work better for him? :confused:

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 05:06:15 AM »
With a 30mins demo you can test the "complex" facebook or youtube on it.
a1200 060

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 05:06:47 AM »
Hey Save, I'll let you in on a little secret. OSX Leopard on a 1.5GHz PPC MacMini does the exact same thing! :hammer:
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 05:53:01 AM »
........ I only just want to deal with stuff that works from here on out.

And what computer OS that is capable of running lots of Amiga programs, has a small amount of, but good quality native software library, can view YouTube videos and web browse all of the sites you want to visit, and still fits into your "stuff that works from here on out" specification?  If you really want an OS that "works from here on out", you can try MacOSX on your G4 MacMini, but it also has it's good and bad sides, every OS does.

Sorry you are having a bad experience with MorphOS2.7.  Have you even tried to get some advice, or help from the MorphOS community?  I have not seen you post any messages on MorphZone.org.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:58:06 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 11:00:25 AM »

There is at least one prominent MorphOS team member active on this website that should be able to advise you on your problem, however it might be an idea
to change the title of your thread and add some words like, OS4, X1000, Hyperion, Ben Hermans to get his attention.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:02:27 AM by Akiko »

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 11:12:23 AM »

Sorry to hear that, perhaps it's due to configuration problems. I have multiple tabs opened, gmail, youtube, amiga.org, morphzone, and never run into that problems.

BTW, MorphOS is not OWB and OWB is not MorphOS. Did you use the youtube.js and youtube_fullscreen.js scripts? it will make youtube fly. Youtube runs much smoother than it does on OSX on my powerbook G4/1.67 with twice gfx mem. It's as smooth as any other pc I tried. Sound is synchronized but default quality works perfect. I don't have bandwitch to watch the highest quality videos anyway.

If you had problems with that OWB version why you didn't downgrade to the previous version? You could try to delete old cookies, perhaps these caused some problem with gmail but making OWB crash never.

I use tabs instead of windows, a separate screen without enhanced display (so I have desktop with full enhanced display and OWB on his separate 24bit screen without it and it runs way faster than Firefox or Safari on OSX).

Don't know what's the problem with your machine but you should ask earlier, no need to get frustrated. Join MorphZone and feel free to ask.

Did you try anything else than OWB? There are plenty of apps you can run, if you are interested on watching videos MPlayer is the best video player for MorphOS.

If you don't find a buyer I will ask some friends but IMHO you should relax, ask questions and try to find the problems instead of getting nervous.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 11:17:18 AM »
Quote from: akiko;657349
there is at least one prominent morphos team member active on this website that should be able to advise you on your problem, however it might be an idea
to change the title of your thread and add some words like, os4, x1000, hyperion, ben hermans to get his attention.

rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »
@save2600

It looks like you've already made up your mind, but if you want to verify something it might be worth checking the system by booting it off the MorphOS CD. If that works then it's likely just some 3rd party component or installed software that's messing things up and it should be possible to either reinstall or figure out which 3rd party component is causing the trouble.

If the CD booted system crashes a lot as well then it is likely that the HW is having issues. Finally, MorphOS does have bugs and you might have run into some. If it is reproducable issue (with a CD boot or fresh install, and doesn't appear to be a HW issue) we'd be very interested to get a bug report about it.

Support is available via a mailing list and some other channels. In most cases visiting freenode #morphos IRC channel (european evening hours) will get your help the fastest.