Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS 2.4 + Efika = RAM Gone?!?!  (Read 5546 times)

Description:

Offline FingersTopic starter

MorphOS 2.4 + Efika = RAM Gone?!?!
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:29:43 AM »
Ok, so I've just gone from 2.3 to 2.4 & have a BIG problem.

Under 2.3 I had about 50% more RAM showing as available at idle.

This is causing big issues for me, due to lack of available RAM.

What is causing the "memory chewing"? Can I turn something off, or should I just go back to 2.3?

PZ.

Re: MorphOS 2.4 + Efika = RAM Gone?!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:13:10 AM »
Just re-installed 2.3 & OWB 1.3 Lite.

Hello speed...much better!!!!

PZ.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »
For the very brief time I had an Efika, I noticed OWB 1.5 was a monster resource hog and actually loaded pages slower than 1.4. And under OS2.4, out of the supposed 128mb available: only 79mb was left. Don't remember if OS2.3 was less hungry, but wouldn't be surprised. The Efika and MorphOS really do need more memory than 128mb.

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:31:47 PM »
Quote from: Fingers;531695

What is causing the "memory chewing"? Can I turn something off, or should I just go back to 2.3?

PZ.

Maybe it has to do with enhanced display settings and multibuffering. If that's it, you should disable double/triple buffering in prefs->display engine. But I'm not really convinced about that extra usage, anyway.

About OWB1.5, it actually requires less memory (and some leaks were fixed, too), and additionally, it also avoids crashing in a few low-memory conditions cases (not all of course, since webkit is hopeless about that).

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:14:16 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll have a bit more of a play around with it tonight.

Wish my Mac Mini wasn't used so much at home...I'd just put MorphOS on it!

PZ.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 10:04:39 AM »
I am having the same problem with MorphOS2.4 on my Efika using twice the memory than 2.3 did right after booting, with no applications running.  I have re-installed the OS a few times now, but have not been able to track down the problem yet.  I had thought that when I first installed MorphOS2.4, I actually had MORE RAM available right after booting my Efika, but I can't seem to get back to that configuration.

Fab, could using the G4 MacMini version of the MorphOS2.4 iso instead of the file download option during the Efika installation process make a difference?  I mean maybe some of the files needed to make MorphOS2.4 work on the G4 MacMini are being loaded into memory on my Efika and this explains the use of RAM with my current MorphOS2.4 install on my Efika.

The download during the install process can sometimes take so long that the OS times out during the installation, if I am doing a clean install and not an upgrade from MorphOS2.3, so instead of doing the download of MorphOS2.4, I have pointed to the iso file that I used to install MorphOS2.4 on my G4 MacMini.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 12:24:52 PM »
I always download the .iso first & run it from a flash drive or other partition...good move, saves a heap of time :)

Just put 2.4 on my Mac Mini...fark yeah!!!! It's fast & clean, I'm loving it!!!!

PZ.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 12:30:11 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;531868
could using the G4 MacMini version of the MorphOS2.4 iso instead of the file download option during the Efika installation process make a difference?

It appears to be the exact same image, so no go there...

PZ.

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 02:53:28 PM »
@amigadave

Well, check what i said about display settings. I see nothing else that could affect efika in such a way.

Offline save2600

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 10:06:49 PM »
Just stumbled onto something today that may be of relevance: GigaMem. Has anyone tried this on their Efika system? Wish I would have known I had it when I had my machine. Might have solved some of these memory issues. This program creates virtual memory from any mass storage device up to 1GB for an Amiga system...

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
Quote from: save2600;536991
Just stumbled onto something today that may be of relevance: GigaMem. Has anyone tried this on their Efika system? Wish I would have known I had it when I had my machine. Might have solved some of these memory issues. This program creates virtual memory from any mass storage device up to 1GB for an Amiga system...

I'm guessing it also requires an 68k processor with an MMU?
~

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 10:53:59 PM »
Quote from: Fingers;531695

PZ.

MorphOS 2.4 uses enhanced display as default, try to disable it in the MUI screen preferences you use for Ambient (uncheck the enhanced display tick). If you open system prefs you can also disable triple buffer and probably double buffer too.

Depending on the resolution you use it may be a good idea to switch to a 16bit display.

You'd better use Fab's webpage OWB Lite versions so you save some precious ram :-)

If you have a custom screen for OWB perhaps you could run it in the same Ambient screen to save some ram.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline save2600

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 10:59:41 PM »
Quote from: Golem!dk;536992
I'm guessing it also requires an 68k processor with an MMU?

DOH! Yeah, that's right. This product is from '92 and the manual does state 020+. There goes that idea :(  I was narrowly stuck in Workbench compatible mode. lol

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 12:12:05 AM »
Would there be any advantage to  an MorphOs/Amiga  vitual memory that  used the USB connected flash drive sticks?
How about virtual memory  using a sollid state "hard drive" ;compact flash 4gb cards are on sale periodically for $25 US.

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 12:35:37 AM »
Quote from: recidivist;537036
Would there be any advantage to  an MorphOs/Amiga  vitual memory that  used the USB connected flash drive sticks?
How about virtual memory  using a sollid state "hard drive" ;compact flash 4gb cards are on sale periodically for $25 US.

Wouldn't be much of a fun. usb is very out of question being usb1.1 only (I get 800 - 900 kb/s on average). The hd is also not the fastest one can think of. It would just be a brake. Better watch your setup and mem usage.
I am fine on my Efika with MorphOS 2.4  and OWB 1.6 with one to three tabs, Songplayer, SimpleMail, an editor and Wookiechat all simultaneously. If I need more free RAM I use Sputnik instead of OWB. Works quite reliable, uptimes of more than a day are normal(then i switch the device off usually).  After boot up I have about 80 MB available.