Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My case convertion.  (Read 3503 times)

Description:

Offline paul1981

Re: My case convertion.
« on: August 13, 2019, 12:27:47 PM »
This is really good, I like it. Have you seen those Amiga case badges and stickers on ebay? AmigaKit sell a nice tick one that is supposed to cover the top of the RF modulator as it tends to corrode there. There are some really good real custom badges on ebay too that will perhaps be even more suitable.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 02:44:57 PM »
900 KB/s for the IDE is a very good result indeed for the 68000. Why do you say you can't utilise all 40GB of the hard drive though? Of course you can - all you have to do is load a suitable replacement scsi.device with Loadmodule (providing you're using your Kickstart 2 ROM that is). I take it you're not using the hard disk with the 1.3 ROM? I think there's a bounty or something for a KS1.3 scsi.device loaded custom ROM - I saw it on eab or amibay, but I'm sure I seen something on aminet years ago for this. Anyway, I suppose if you could use this ROM then you could also boot into Workbench 1.3. You might be able to find a scsi.device that can work with KS1.3 (perhaps this is what I saw on aminet?) and you could use Loadmodule or similar to load the scsi.device from floppy (from your KS1.3 bootscreen) and then it will boot from your hard drive from KS1.3.

I wish I could tell you more, but I have a M-Tec Megabody in my A500 which has its own bootrom so it works fine from KS1.3 anyway - so I've never had to think about other solutions.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 07:17:07 PM »
I made no mention of PFS. I'm an SFS supporter! Besides, you could always use FFS and still use the 40GB. Anyway, I now know that 2GB is enough for you, so that's fair enough. However... I have some cdrom images that I like to mount now and again which are crammed full of software / fish disks etc. etc, so this is where your 40GB can come in handy (cd images).
My A500 is strictly KS1.3 with Workbench 1.3.2, because that's what it came with. It has 1MB Chip RAM and the Megabody IDE interface with a 1.4GB Hitachi 2.5" HDD. I am using PFS though, but I might change that to FFS one day. I think I get 700 KB/S out of that. I'd get more speed if I had some Fast RAM. I have one of those Slow RAM cards but I'm not currently using it. I'm toying with the idea of whether to buy a ROM switcher. The thing would have to squeeze under the Megabody though.
700KB/s is a lot compared with the floppy drive speed!  ;D

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
Ahhh.... I thought that only PFS would get me at +2gb :-) Thanks for clearing it up.
Yeah. 700kb/s are indeed fast enough for these old machines, if they are running stock 68000.

SFS is 68020+, so no 68000 support I'm afraid.