Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Introducing Warp3D Nova for AmigaOS 4.1  (Read 31451 times)

Description:

Offline broadblues

Re: Introducing Warp3D Nova for AmigaOS 4.1
« Reply #59 from previous page: March 25, 2016, 12:34:20 PM »
Quote from: Spectre660;806306
Running Gears3 from Minigl Demos results in 100% cpu  use.
Running Warp3D Nova Gears results in 12% cpu use  .
Idle system is 5 % cpu use.
Sam460ex RadeonHD 7750

Be careful what you compare here, the Warp3d Nova demos are locked to the screen refresh rate.

On my system (x1k) the Nova gears example barely gets out of the 'rest CPU noise' (as displayed in CPUInfo docky) , at the default window size, though CPU usage does go up as the window size increases.  

These aren't demos but coding examples. Please don't attempt to use them for crude benchmarking. The results would be less than meaningful.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2016, 12:36:45 PM »
thx for confirmation. maybe it should be clarified. i have the feeling, users rush now for warp3d nova supported cards, expecting some immediate improvements, even with the existing software, as spectre did in his post about cow3d. perhaps it would be better to hold off till the package is actually released and at least a single actual application is available for it. this might be a better publicity policy in a long run, while avoid disappointments on part of not so well informed customers.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2016, 12:40:49 PM »
Quote from: broadblues;806342
On my system (x1k) the Nova gears example barely gets out of the 'rest CPU noise' (as displayed in CPUInfo docky) , at the default window size,
thats how it should be i guess.

though CPU usage does go up as the window size increases.
something is still done in software? on these simple examples?

Offline Spectre660

• Show only replies by Spectre660
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2016, 12:53:17 PM »
I was not "expecting" anything just trying to demonstrate that the new driver uses much less cpu resources than the old Warp3DSI driver.

The supply of compatible Radeon HD Southern Islands cards is shrinking so
he who hesitates may be lost.
I got a pair on HD7750's  almost two years ago and I am glad that I did.

Quote from: wawrzon;806343
thx for confirmation. maybe it should be clarified. i have the feeling, users rush now for warp3d nova supported cards, expecting some immediate improvements, even with the existing software, as spectre did in his post about cow3d. perhaps it would be better to hold off till the package is actually released and at least a single actual application is available for it. this might be a better publicity policy in a long run, while avoid disappointments on part of not so well informed customers.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card

Offline broadblues

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2016, 01:06:42 PM »
Quote from: Spectre660;806345

The supply of compatible Radeon HD Southern Islands cards is shrinking so
he who hesitates may be lost.

It's not like you can't benefit from them in the mean time, they are faster than other OS4 supported cards (give or take specific hi or low end versions within the series) and you can use Warp3D )non Nova) on them now.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2016, 05:44:09 PM »
ok, but perhaps the user would be better off, deciding if he needs to buy immediately another graphics card himself upon a consideration based on actual facts he is honestly presented with, rather than driven by vague suggestions, he may find misleading afterwards. there is already enough people complaining about having bought forthcoming models upon such promises.

Offline Rob

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2016, 03:16:06 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;806354
ok, but perhaps the user would be better off, deciding if he needs to buy immediately another graphics card himself upon a consideration based on actual facts he is honestly presented with, rather than driven by vague suggestions, he may find misleading afterwards. there is already enough people complaining about having bought forthcoming models upon such promises.

What works currently with Warp3D V5 and minigl are not vague suggestions.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2016, 01:56:57 PM »
Some of the responses in this thread are so predictable.

OS4 was lambasted for it's inability to support halfway decent 3D despite running on higher end Radeon cards.

3D support arrives, and suddenly it's another reason to complain.

I've had nothing to do with Nova but I do know Warp3D and from the description of how this works, it's simply nothing like the original Warp3D. And believe me, that's a good thing. The original Warp3D suited old cards where the only thing they accelerated was rasterisation. By moving vertex data to buffer objects, the supported cards are now able to accelerate every part of setup and rendering.

All that is missing now is an OpenGL implementation on top. MiniGL suffered because it could only use Warp3D to handle the very last stage of the graphics pipeline and often had to do very nasty workarounds to get basic GL tasks done.

Shader support on older cards might be poor, but they still support VBO, hardware transformation, clipping and lighting. That means that significantly better drivers are possible for Nova running on the older Radeon hardware.
int p; // A

Offline Spectre660

• Show only replies by Spectre660
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2016, 02:21:19 PM »
@Carlos ,

Description for these kind of responses :
Ami nit pick .
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card

Offline nicholas

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2016, 04:31:40 PM »
Seeing as Nova is a completely new architecture is the old Warp3D API going to be implemented on top of it ala Goa?

Also is there a rough ETA yet of when the OpenGL layer is going to be made for it?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline BSzili

• Show only replies by BSzili
    • http://bszili.morphos.me
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2016, 04:43:47 PM »
Implementing Warp3D functions on top of Warp3D Nova wouldn't give any benefits. The main bottleneck of Warp3D if that most of the graphics pipeline is on the CPU. The GPU is only rasterizing triangles either way.
This is just like television, only you can see much further.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2016, 05:29:18 PM »
Quote from: Spectre660;806447
@Carlos ,

Description for these kind of responses :
Ami nit pick .

While we disagree on some topics, I'd agree with you here.

Its an Amiga tradition, something is introduced that improves our experience, and immediately the fanatics start picking it apart.

This is good stuff guys.
Hans has managed to make it worthwhile to use a higher end card.

And OS4 gets 3D support for HD cards before MorphOS.

Way to go guys.
Just take the boon, and stop picking at it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:03:27 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline nicholas

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2016, 06:05:14 PM »
Quote from: BSzili;806466
Implementing Warp3D functions on top of Warp3D Nova wouldn't give any benefits. The main bottleneck of Warp3D if that most of the graphics pipeline is on the CPU. The GPU is only rasterizing triangles either way.

What about support for new cards in the future? I'm assuming they won't have Warp3D drivers for them, so is Warp3D deprecated like Goa for R300+ is on MorphOS?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline amigakit

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2016, 06:16:03 PM »
At the moment, it is on the drawing board to extend driver support beyond Southern Islands as ATI produce more chipsets in the future.  However, the most important task at the moment is to get Warp3D Nova released.

As regards the original Warp3D, we have some plans to continue working on drivers for low performance platforms.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline BSzili

• Show only replies by BSzili
    • http://bszili.morphos.me
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2016, 06:47:48 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;806474
What about support for new cards in the future? I'm assuming they won't have Warp3D drivers for them, so is Warp3D deprecated like Goa for R300+ is on MorphOS?
Sure, technically it's possible. The principle is the same as Regal and GLES2.
This is just like television, only you can see much further.

Offline Cass

• Show only replies by Cass
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2016, 07:26:54 PM »
@amigakit

Is there a PCI-e adaptor for Sam440 planed to be sold from your store? Compatible GFX cards to fit this mobo-adaptor combination (it would be ideal, if sold as a bundle)?
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"