Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Introducing Warp3D Nova for AmigaOS 4.1  (Read 32432 times)

Description:

Offline Rob

Re: Introducing Warp3D Nova for AmigaOS 4.1
« on: March 26, 2016, 03:16:06 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;806354
ok, but perhaps the user would be better off, deciding if he needs to buy immediately another graphics card himself upon a consideration based on actual facts he is honestly presented with, rather than driven by vague suggestions, he may find misleading afterwards. there is already enough people complaining about having bought forthcoming models upon such promises.

What works currently with Warp3D V5 and minigl are not vague suggestions.

Offline Rob

Re: Introducing Warp3D Nova for AmigaOS 4.1
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;815649
i doubt. mediator interfaces through zorro to the amiga which interfaces then via cpu or expansions slot to the turbo board. the effective bandwidth is 7mb/s. addressing the graphics card is tricky and seldom anything else than voodoo3 or radeon 92xx is used. even if the card attached via a pci-pci-e adapter would be recognized, which is a task almost impossible to imagine even for a skilled geek, the bandwidth makes it completely senseless for any more complex 3d usage i fear.

however similar applies to older amigaone (NO X), pegasos and sam440 computers, so it isnt that tragic for us.

The current CPUs available for 68k Amigas are a major bottleneck too.  Pre loading textures can alleviate bandwidth limitations but obviously there's only so far you can go with about 7MB/s, and the returns diminish pretty quickly.  It still felt like my 210Mhz BPPC was the bottleneck back in the day.

No one I know of has tried even a HD2400 in the Mediator so we don't know if PCIe cards work or not.  If it ever becomes necessary due to a lack of availability of older cards then I'm sure Elbox would update the pci.library to support PCIe cards sitting behind a bridge.  

Version 11 was released in July.

The pci.library ver. 11.0 includes new procedure for allocation of the PCI memory. New procedure allows faster computer start when the multi-device PCI cards are used (e.g. Spider USB controller). New pci.library gives the possibility to reallocate (free and allocate) PCI spaces from the driver for the specific PCI card. It is useful in case of PCI cards, which do not report their PCI spaces typically (e.g. some PCI processor bridges).

I believe the last bit meant that you no longer needed a patched pci.library to use WarpOS for Sonnet, it could also mean tha PCIe cards are already recognized.

X1xx0 and HD series cards work in the Eyetech A1s but nobody seems to have tested anything as high as a R7 etc.
Sam440 can use upto HD6xx0 cards but nobody confirmed or denied if the recent uboot update allows cards supported in Nova to work or not.  Only the Pegasos 2 is confirmed not to work with any PCIe cards.