Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology acquires OctaMED  (Read 31362 times)

Description:

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
Re: A-EON Technology acquires OctaMED
« Reply #59 from previous page: February 18, 2015, 11:58:46 AM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;784611
Seems it's about to.

Are you actually trying to drag your employer's positive thread off topic? Why not take it to pm, like a moderator might suggest.

It already was way off topic.

Quote from: itix;784674
Have you ever heard "the customer is always right"?

Thats not always true at all. Alot of that post Mike linked to, I agree with.
Funny how people already said I should have not posted what I did, then you decided to try and stir it. After I decided they wre right and left it.

Just let it go.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:46:02 PM by F0LLETT »
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2015, 12:49:42 PM »
Quote from: Hans_;784666
My post was a factual correction to A6000's statement, and not necessarily a for/against argument. I have no idea if porting would be a simple recompile, or if there would be more work. It wouldn't surprise me if there would have to be at least a few platform-specific tweaks, though.

Incidentally, I don't see why the adverse reaction to A-EON specifically saying that they have the right to distribute Octamed on MorphOS & AROS too (and emulated Amigas). They're at least considering the possibility.

Hans

Typically those hooks would have more of an impact on low level stuff vs high level stuff.  

However as for the right to distribute it can be viewed in two ways.

A.)   Hey look we're willing to support all platforms.

or

B.)  Hey look we bought the rights for the other platforms so that it cannot be ported by anyone.

Which one it is I don't claim to know.   However each user will make up their minds as to which one they think it is.  

I know it's common in this community for people to claim that AROS users are cheap and not willing to pay for anything.  Well it's hard to argue with that since there has been next to nothing "commercial" available for AROS to prove otherwise.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2015, 12:50:46 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;784677
It's been 12 years, and every time I hear someone use that line I still think of this post:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=56482&postcount=62

There's a difference in acknowledging that the customer is right and actually acting as such.  Its all about seeming.

(oops 2000 posts up). :)

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2015, 12:52:27 PM »
Quote from: Niding;784629
Honestly, if you own the rights; do as you like. Noone should hold a grudge over it.
As it is, everyone intrested in the ORIGINAL version of FW will find it by searching the net.
Its been "dead" for years, just like AeonKits aquisitions, so I cant bring myself to villify someone trying to modernize anicent products.

That said; im sure you would make several people happy if you ported to all "Amiga" branches.

There is no IF about Final Writer.  However as one of the designers of the old OpenAmiga standard I would be a hypocrite if I didn't practice what I preach.

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2015, 01:37:18 PM »
And if/when the FinalWriter for my A1200 is ready, I will most likely buy it :)

Dont get me wrong, I appriciate and would prefer software to span over all the "Amiga" platforms, but I wont hold anyones feet to the fire if they dont.
I dont feel entitled to use new versions of software I was acustomed to use back in the 90s.

I do understand, to a certain extent why they would want to focus on AOS4 versions, since they have a hardware platform they want to expand.
On the flipside; the more software titles they aquire, they could most likely benefit from drawing customers (and income) from all "camps".

So I see both sides of the argument for sure.

BUT, again, I see no need to hold it against them/anyone.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2015, 02:24:45 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;784677
It's been 12 years, and every time I hear someone use that line I still think of this post:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=56482&postcount=62

This is so fooooking true.   As a side I miss redrumloa and others
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:27:34 PM by JJ »
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Wilse

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2015, 04:55:46 PM »
Great news - now if I can just get the bloody 4.1FE disc to install on my A1XE......

Offline Hans_

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;784750
However as for the right to distribute it can be viewed in two ways.

A.)   Hey look we're willing to support all platforms.

or

B.)  Hey look we bought the rights for the other platforms so that it cannot be ported by anyone.

The deeper you try to read between the lines, the more likely it is that your conclusions are total BS.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline kamelito

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2015, 10:34:49 PM »
Terminills

Well everybody knows that AEON are buying old software to upgrade them. Why don't you do the same or buy them first?
Quite frankly I'm really surprised by all they do as the ROI is so risky and random.
Why not join them instead of trying to compete and be disappointed?
Kamelito

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2015, 10:41:39 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;784825
Terminills

Well everybody knows that AEON are buying old software to upgrade them. Why don't you do the same or buy them first?

Well considering I already have done just that.

Quite frankly I'm really surprised by all they do as the ROI is so risky and random.
Why not join them instead of trying to compete and be disappointed?
Kamelito

I am neither competing nor disappointed.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2015, 10:44:18 PM »
Quote from: Hans_;784822
The deeper you try to read between the lines, the more likely it is that your conclusions are total BS.

Hans

To quote myself since you felt the need to only quote half quote me.

Which one it is I don't claim to know. However each user will make up their minds as to which one they think it is.

Offline LyleHaze

• Show only replies by LyleHaze
    • https://sites.google.com/site/takeaprogrammertolunch/
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2015, 02:52:34 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;784551
though again... us so called Next Gen Amiga users lack many media based features that we now take for granted on the classic Amiga, like MIDI support.

I'm not sure about other platforms, but MIDI support in OS4 meets and exceeds what classic Amigas offered.

CAMD is the common library for MIDI applcations, and support for USB midi devices has eliminated any restrictions on the number of ports and devices that can be active. Camd is not just for the serial port anymore, it's now a rather flexible MIDI patch bay for connecting programs and devices in any combination.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2015, 03:18:38 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;784827
To quote myself since you felt the need to only quote half quote me.

Okay, let me respond to the bit that you felt I shouldn't have left out...
Which one it is I don't claim to know. However each user will make up their minds as to which one they think it is.

Your two options are both based on trying to read between the lines of an announcement. I could probably come up with a number of different additional possible viewpoints based on varying assumptions, but that would be kind of pointless. There really is no need to be guessing at whether there is some hidden meaning or secret agenda.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2015, 03:26:21 AM »
Quote from: Hans_;784846
I could probably come up with a number of different additional possible viewpoints based on varying assumptions, but that would be kind of pointless. There really is no need to be guessing at whether there is some hidden meaning or secret agenda.

Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2015, 03:33:42 AM »
Quote from: Hans_;784846
Okay, let me respond to the bit that you felt I shouldn't have left out...

Your two options are both based on trying to read between the lines of an announcement. I could probably come up with a number of different additional possible viewpoints based on varying assumptions, but that would be kind of pointless. There really is no need to be guessing at whether there is some hidden meaning or secret agenda.

Hans

You yourself bought into a theory.  Are you saying your own theory is BS?   I merely placed both viewpoints in a single post. :P

"I don't see why the adverse reaction to A-EON specifically saying that they have the right to distribute Octamed on MorphOS & AROS too (and emulated Amigas). They're at least considering the possibility."

Offline Hans_

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2015, 03:48:59 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;784848
You yourself bought into a theory.  Are you saying your own theory is BS?   I merely placed both viewpoints in a single post. :P

"I don't see why the adverse reaction to A-EON specifically saying that they have the right to distribute Octamed on MorphOS & AROS too (and emulated Amigas). They're at least considering the possibility."

You placed two possible viewpoints in a single post. Those are not the only possible viewpoints, but they do both assume that you know A-EON's "secret intentions."

Interestingly, I was considering adding "it appears that..." to the bit that you quoted, so congrats on nitpicking that one. However, I must point out that the very fact that they mention multiple platforms does require them to consider those as options. This "theory" doesn't require any assumed/imagined secret agenda or "evil intent."

Hans