Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Update: Official update of Amithlon and AmigaXL  (Read 2466 times)

Description:

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
Update: Official update of Amithlon and AmigaXL
« on: March 21, 2002, 01:05:17 AM »
This is the first official AmigaOS XL Update, which will fix all known problems. Amithlon now features an improved sound output as well as enhanced mouse and keyboard drivers and a bug fixed CPU/FPU emulation. HDToolBox will now run stable again under Amithlon and AmigaXL Click here

Re: Update: Official update of Amithlon and AmigaXL
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2002, 07:05:34 AM »
thats kinda old news but yea, ive installed it, and it does what it says, hehehe  :-)

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2002, 12:39:24 PM »
With all the excitment of the AmigaOne announcement, I've not really kept up-to-date with what has been going on here! - Is it really as good as it sounds?  :-o

I've been holding out to buy the AmigaOne, but have also been coming under pressure to be able to run some PC Applications too. It looks like AmigaXL could be the answer :-D

Does anyone know if the AmigaOS can/will be upgraded to 4.0 when it is released?

Jem

Offline gnarly

• Show only replies by gnarly
    • http://thinkdrastic.net/
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2002, 01:50:30 PM »
Does anyone know if the AmigaOS can/will be upgraded to 4.0 when it is released?
As far as I know AmigaOSXL and Amithlon dont have PowerPC emulation built in (they are based upon 68k JIT emulation IIRC), so until that happens 4.0 wont be available for those platforms - you'll just have to stick with 3.9, or of course AROS.
Cheers,

Olly
Think Drastic

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2002, 03:12:54 PM »
OS4.0 won't run on Amithlon, however it seems Bernie and company are going their own way with upgrades. IMO Amithlon is a temporary solution, however others seem to think it's the next comming of Christ and it will be a full blown OS for X86. We'll have to wait and see how far it can really go.

Personally I am biting at the bit for OS4.0/AmigaOne. However I still may yet buy AmigaOS-XL also. It seems to be a very good product, a bit expensive but still..
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline AndyC

• Show only replies by AndyC
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2002, 04:03:14 PM »
Does anyone know why H&P weren't the company Amiga.Inc got to do OS4, seeing as they produced OS3.9.

Was there a difference of opinion, or were Hyperion simply a better choice business-wise at the time?

Just a wee question!

AndyC
Sarah Palin... seriously?

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2002, 04:17:36 PM »
H&P had begun on the AOS4-project early last year (maybr even earlier),
but when AInc went out of cash last summer they had to stop it.
Probraly they also knew what was going on at Eyetech regarding
the AmigaOne(.0), and lost faith in it (with good reason i think).
They began working on AmigaXL, but when they saw Amithlon,
they decided to bundle both (Amithlon is far superior to AmigaXL IMO).

AOS4.0 will more or less be something like 3.9PPC, so its not
a big problem for Amithlon-users. Things may change with AOS4.2,
but also nobody knows what  Haralds and Bernis are up to and
what kind of connection they got to AInc.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2002, 05:09:20 PM »
(Amithlon is far superior to AmigaXL IMO).

thats true, but amigaxl is way more compatible, on my machine anyway, so it's what i use. amithlon isn't usable in its current state on my machine yet. there need to be some serious updates to amithlon, which im sure they are working on now.

but also nobody knows what Haralds and Bernis are up to

os4.0 for amithlon is a possibility, it's been hinted on but nothing concrete yet. it all depends on how far amithlon will go, technically and in a business sense. it would be good although i want an a1 :)

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2002, 09:26:04 PM »
OS4.0 won't run on Amithlon, however it seems Bernie and company are going their own way with upgrades. IMO Amithlon is a temporary solution, however others seem to think it's the next comming of Christ and it will be a full blown OS for X86. We'll have to wait and see how far it can really go

Well I guess I'm one of those who is often thought to be in that category. I certainly don't know if Amithlon will even evolve into a fully fledged OS - although it has the capability to do so - or if it will be dead and forgotten in six months.

My take is that I have little to no confidence in the AmigaOne/AmigaOS4 route from a business and commercial point of view, so I will wait for a couple of years and look at it again then. If it is established and growing according to plan, then I may well buy one, but if it stagnates or dies, then I will have saved myself a heap of money.

Personally I am biting at the bit for OS4.0/AmigaOne. However I still may yet buy AmigaOS-XL also. It seems to be a very good product, a bit expensive but still..

Well, I'd advise a little patience if you're considering buying it. Perhaps you may want to wait until the new version is available.  ;-)
Bill Hoggett

Offline Revener

• Show only replies by Revener
    • http://www.banished.nu
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2002, 11:14:32 PM »
But that's the problem, if no one byes it it will not even  have a minimal succes.

It's an evil circle I tell you evil EVIL !!!!!  ;-)

We all want the Amiga to have a future so it's time to spend some money.......Which you never have enough of anyway ;-)
If you have ghosts you have everything

Roky rulz!!!

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2002, 01:01:19 AM »
But that's the problem, if no one byes it it will not even have a minimal succes.

There are plenty of people willing to buy it simply because it exists, and more because they truly believe this will lead to success.

Let those who consider the odds good be the ones who take the gamble. It would be folly for those of us who think the odds are bad to be doing the same, wouldn't you say?

I know there's a swell of opinion that says it is OUR responsibility to make AmigaOne/AOS4 a success, but I don't subscribe to that. It is Eyetech's/Hyperion's responsibility and no one elses. I consider it a challenge which I apply to anyone wanting to sell me anything: make me want to buy it.  So far, there's nothing in the combined Eyetech/Hyperion offering that sets my blood racing, though it does so for others.

I'm happy to sit back and watch for a couple of years. Meanwhile, my money will go on products I believe in.

...and that is enough about what I think. I see flame-throwers being aimed this way as I write...   :-o
Bill Hoggett

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2002, 04:03:46 PM »
Why would someone flame you for an opinion? I don't agree with you, but there were no insults flung in your comment so it's all good :-D
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!