Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FFmpeg + FFplay SVN-r18880 (m68k)  (Read 19316 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: FFmpeg + FFplay SVN-r18880 (m68k)
« on: May 22, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »
From a user perspective, I completely agree with Piru.

The v61 naming convention is confusing. I kept thinking it was a typo for v51. If it's not 100% API compatible across all systems, it should be forked. One might conceivably install v61 on a MorphOS system because of its higher version number and end up breaking things.

Down the line, what happens when other programs or system components start using the v61 numbering convention? Version numbering is a good way to lock out use within architectures (like v34 and v36 on 68K), but now that we have multiple architectures evolving independently, using version number lockouts between architectures lays the framework for serious problems in the future.

Besides, shouldn't a name change be as simple as a find-and-replace operation in the source code?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 05:20:55 PM »
If I understand Piru's arguments correctly, the changes to the ixemul includes will affect anything compiled with them, even if they don't use v61 features and that's why running those programs under MorphOS will result in crashes. It's my understanding that with most libraries, compatibility with old versions can be maintained by not using new features, but that doesn't seem to be how ixemul is evolving. Someone who wants to write a 68k program that is compatible with MorphOS will have to use the old includes.

While I still agree that v61 ixemul should be renamed, someone mentioned the idea of unifying development across the Amiga architectures, as with the NList, Texteditor, and codesets projects. I think that's a good compromise, and would like to read other comments on its feasibility.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:55:40 PM »
Wy you dont believe what i write or wy you not download the ffmpeg and try out on MOS ?.Here you see it do not crash.a requester come need V61 ixemul.
I have absolutely no doubt that is what will happen - because ffmpeg specifically requires v61.

But consider a program that specifies v48. Compile it once with the v48 includes. Compile it again with the v61 includes. Run each of them under MorphOS. What will happen? If nothing bad happens, then I'll shut up and say no more on the matter. :-)

Don't get me wrong - I appriciate the improvements you're making (it's fantastic that we now have ffmpeg and ffplay for 68k). I simply think that because of the divergence of OS3, OS4, and MorphOS, a more pragmatic way to distinguish changes between architectures is in order.

I again refer back to the suggestion to integrate multiplatform builds in the style of Jens Langner's projects.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:58:49 PM by Matt_H »