Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fastest powermac g4 to run morphOS on?  (Read 3392 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepcTopic starter

• Show all replies
Fastest powermac g4 to run morphOS on?
« on: November 04, 2011, 08:43:04 AM »
Can someone please tell me whats the fastest supported powermac g4 you can get that is supported by morphos...?

Also, I'm sure I saw someone here talk about a processor upgrade to 2ghz+ he got that he used on his morphos machine. Any info on those/links would be appreciated.

In searching ebay, I am finding tons of 800mhz-1.25ghz g4's but none much faster...

And can someone tell me at 1.25ghz can you run very demanding aga games in uae in morphos without any lag?

Can't do that on 1.25ghz-2ghz intel or amd pc, with winuae without lag city (at least for very demanding 68k games)  but I don't know much about g4 or mac hardware in general.

I just don't want to buy one then go gee its not fast enough and have to buy another one.

Any thoughts very appreciated...

• Show all replies
Re: Fastest powermac g4 to run morphOS on?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 09:18:17 AM »
Yeah I figured as much myself. I know you can get alot better performance sometimes by switching to 8bit sound and modifying (lowering) the fps rates...  Worth a shot for you Fishy.

I wanted to wait for g5 support so I could go with a much faster machine but I don't know when or if that will be completed.

Steven

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 10:39:43 AM »
My A1200 died some time ago. Since then,I have a 2ghz cybernet zpc all in one setup with winuae that boots right to aos3.9.

Its fine for most things, but when I tried really demanding aga games it would sometimes be slow. I lowered the frame rates alot, which honestly I don't notice any difference visually, but now everything works fine.

Its funny that a 2ghz computer is not enough to emulate a 14mhz amiga. That says alot about amigas.

Steven

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 08:27:35 AM »
Yes I meant games like super stardust AGA, things like alladin aga and others which seem to run slowly sometimes on my 2.0ghz windows pc without alot of tweaking...

Steven