Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Running AMOS 3D and AMOS Creator on AGA  (Read 2171 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Running AMOS 3D and AMOS Creator on AGA
« on: February 10, 2009, 01:15:31 AM »
Someone who knows for sure correct me if I am wrong, but isn't AMOS Creator just an earlier version than AMOS Pro, so everything in AMOS Creator included within AMOS Pro?

As for running it on an A1200, try disabling any caches and/or running one of the several degrader programs that were developed to allow older game software to run on AGA computers, such as the A1200 and A4000.

Every time this subject comes up on the forums someone usually suggests that you switch to a different flavor of BASIC language, such as Blitz Basic, or True Basic.  I can only guess that more advanced programmers have identified too many problems or short-comings within AMOS Pro, as it is a very old programming tool that has not been updated in so many years and other BASIC languages have better tools to use.

Sorry this is not more specific, but you can probably use the search function here and at other sites to read the old discussions of the AMOS topic to get more details.

The AMOS Factory is the only (semi) active AMOS forum that I know of and you should be able to get good answers from there.  I have not been active there for many months.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Running AMOS 3D and AMOS Creator on AGA
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »

robo-ant wrote:
I never had AMOS Pro, but I had Creator and 3D and AMOS Compiler back in my A1200 days.  The only thing that didn't work was the object editor for 3D.  I had to make 3D objects on my A1000.

IIRC, there was a patch to make Creator AGA compatible.  I can't remember if it came from Mandarin as a free upgrade (I got some disks from them in the mail) or if I got the patch on a magazine disk.  I have a feeling it was the latter.

EDIT:  I just found CU Amiga Disk 54 with AMOS Compiler and AMOS 1.35 on it, which is labelled "A1200 compatible!" (on the Creator side of the label).  That's probably the version I was using on my A1200.  If you need AMOS The Creator see if you can get your hands on that coverdisk.

Great memory robo-ant!  Thanks for the tip about finding the AGA compatible version of AMOS v1.35, but I am still wondering since the original poster seems to have AMOS Pro v2.x if the AGA compatibility isn't already included.  The only thing I don't know anything about is the AMOS3D stuff, as I have never installed or used it (yet).
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)