Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A project I'd like to see from Jens...  (Read 12864 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: A project I'd like to see from Jens...
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 24, 2014, 02:28:28 PM »
@nicholas
Quote from: OlafS3;767494
I do not think that this would be cheaper than this solution. Here you can use a off-the-shelf solution and create a connector, for your solution you would need a custom board and that makes it expensive again. Or do I understand something wrong?

there was some person on this board thinking along and also there was discussion about such alternative. quite a lenghty one but i dont remember where.

however it appears nothing came out of that so better to support ongoing projects. as stated jens apparently is in favour of emulating cpu, but not on x86 but on mips, also it seems he is in favour of complete new system instead of an add on, which is probably partly due to easier servicing and warranty, which is likely quite important element from his perspective.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 03:14:45 PM »
i think its this one that is taken into consideration:
http://www.broadcom.com/products/Processors/Enterprise/BCM53003

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 03:52:02 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;767501
Those specs put PowerPC to shame. :(

do they? also remember cpu emulation comes at a cost. still..

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »
Quote from: skolman;767592
Low cost and compatibility with Classic PPC 603e PUP/WOS software.

which means compatibility with almost nothing as long as amiga is concerned. the subject of these ppc chips, even if it was practicable, was beaten as a dead horse for a decade and some, why must that be brought up in every conversation again and again. this option is expired, lets live with it.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »
Quote from: skolman;767600
All which requires a lot of computing power.

what would that be? the few datatypes that have support for warpos? the few applications that have been compiled for it or powerup? i have an accelerator with a ppc cpu companion, that has been idle since few years and i cant really think of what i have been missing all this time.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 06:50:49 PM »
if most of the Amiga community does not show their appreciation for your work

..community not showing appreciation??? i wonder how possibly have you missed the feedback the project receives here, on a1k or particularly on eab. these are most popular and lively threads. okay, there are some unrealistic wishes and a little bragging as always, there are  different strong opinions, but mostly if there is criticism, its a constructive one, people, especially the knowledganle ones, take this project definitely serious, just dont want it to be in vain.

It just seems a shame that so much work went into the Natami MX motherboard design, and it seemed to be so close to being completed enough to be released to the public for sale

natami was initially a private one-man hardware project. it doesnt look like there ever was a plan how to build this hardware in numbers, distribute it and handle support. it may have been advanced as a prototype but releasing it is the whole other issue.

I see it as no different than my X1000 and AmigaOS4.x, which is still a WIP, while we wait for AmigaOS4.2 to be completed, with the many major design goals that are planned and being worked on.

it is completely different in my eyes, starting with the amount of funds involved, the experienced companies and the distribution channels involved in it. and exactly here it shows that even such entities may get over challenged by the complexity of such projects.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 08:47:33 PM »
The Amiga commity seems a lot smaller to me.
judging by the activity on forums one could come to such a conclusion, yes. while the lack of motivation and the ageing process will surely affect all parties, the genuine amiga fraction is likely to sustain this best, since it has least at risky stack but their since twenty years verified values, and therefore is probably least affected by disappointments. im not even talking about the forum crowd. however will be difficult to estimate the target audience nevertheless.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 12:54:24 PM »
Quote from: vxm;767687
Partially because I have a A500 and A2000.
This is fully justified for the first.
But the second, as A3000 and A4000, was designed with a CPU slot.
So, I just wonder if the solution chosen for the 2000 is optimal.

from design point of view the best solution is the most universal one, and how close you can integrate a new cpu into the system if not in place of the old one?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 12:13:38 AM »
Quote from: Djole;767727

Please lets start another thread, just to make clear who made this possible....

the serbian guy? :D